Spare part for my Pioneer PD-TM2

Lelle

Hello everyone,

About 2 months ago I bought a Pioneer PD-TM2 18-disc CD Changer.
The seller mentioned that it worked perfectly,
well.. upon arrival and testing it had difficulties to change magazine.
The bottom magazine plays well, except it sounds a bit like the cd wobbles or are a bit to close to the laser or from it. It's a bit hard to describe.
It was supposed to be a christmas gift for my dad as he's looking for a Pioneer disc changer.

And a closer inspection inside showed that a gearwheel that handles the disc changer mechanism was a bit broken/damaged. And I cannot find any spareparts, it seems that PD-TM1 and Pioneer PD-TM3 are using the same parts. Talked to a friend, and suggested if I knew someone that could 3D-print a new gearwheel it could work. I'm not into 3D-printing, and I have never used a 3D-printer. Now the cd-changer just standing there collecting dust. It's a pity that I cannot use it. And I like the Pioneer disc-changers. Uploaded 2 pictures of how the gearwheel looks like.

Hoping that someone could help me.

Attachments

• kugghjul 001.JPG
    kugghjul 001.JPG
    68.3 KB · Views: 31
  • Pioneer 2 005.JPG
    Pioneer 2 005.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 31
At our local library, they have a 3-D printer. For a nominal cost, they have people who know how to use it, and can duplicate the part. The actual cost here, is to replace their consumables. It's very cost effective.

At our local library, they have a 3-D printer. For a nominal cost, they have people who know how to use it, and can duplicate the part. The actual cost here, is to replace their consumables. It's very cost effective.

Thanks for your answer, so it is possible to 3dprint new gearwheels. Do u need the dimensions and size of the gearwheel? And how much would it cost with a 3D-printed sparepart? I think that this part can be located in the service manual.

It would be best to have an actual specimen. It would need to be scanned to be recreated, or would need a detailed blueprint so one could be duplicated. Check with your local library first, to see if they have a 3-D printer. They may be able to find a spec sheet for that part, who knows, always worth a try.

It would be best to have an actual specimen. It would need to be scanned to be recreated, or would need a detailed blueprint so one could be duplicated. Check with your local library first, to see if they have a 3-D printer. They may be able to find a spec sheet for that part, who knows, always worth a try.
I can give it a try, but I'm very unsure if my local library has a 3d printer. Not sure if any measurements are being mentioned in the service manual, I don't think so.

A quick phone call to the library and you will know if they have a 3-D printer. Also if they don't, check the phone book for machinist shops.

A quick phone call to the library and you will know if they have a 3-D printer. Also if they don't, check the phone book for machinist shops.
I will check that tomorrow, I will also ask some of my facebook friends if anyone has a 3d printer or knows someone who has one.

I just found this thread and want to encourage Lelle to pursue this! I received a Monoprice MP Select Mini 3D Printer V2, a very inexpensive ($189) 3D printer, for my birthday. I've used Tinkercad, a free online program to design a few things and Cura to convert the design into instructions for the printer. If you can use basic tools or (even better) took a course in mechanical drawing in high school, you should be able to make a very good replacement for the damaged gear. There are a number of programs that help you design gears (https://www.instructables.com/id/3D-models-of-gears-for-3D-printing/, for example). You would design two gears and, in Tinkercad, merge a big gear to a smaller gear using the Group command. There is a learning curve, but if you have the time and the interest, it is fun, and it is a skill worth having. I've made a spare head shell for my Thorens TD 318 MK II turntable. I'm still testing it, so far it works very well. When I'm done with the testing, I'll post something on Audiokarma to get feedback from the community.

Hi all, sorry for being late. Been busy with work, I actually found someone in my country on facebook that also has a PD-TM2 with broken laser, but the mechanics works in it. In mine the mechanics doesn't work correctly, so I'm putting together one working from two PD-TM2 units. Got it for 500 sek that's around ~50 euros. Waiting for it to arrive on tuesday.

Hi all, sorry for being late. Been busy with work, I actually found someone in my country on facebook that also has a PD-TM2 with broken laser, but the mechanics works in it. In mine the mechanics doesn't work correctly, so I'm putting together one working from two PD-TM2 units. Got it for 500 sek that's around ~50 euros. Waiting for it to arrive on tuesday.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Hi, I'm back. I finally got it to work thanks to a guy in a Swedish Pioneer Vintage facebook-page. He had the same changer that had working mechanism but with broken laser (lens missing), so I bought it cheap from him. Moved the working laser to the one with the working mechanism. And voilá it works perfectly fine now. That gearwheel surely gets a lot of stress over the years. It seems to be common fault with this era of cd-changers that the lens can easily break if the changer isn't shipped carefully.

i know i'm a little late to this. but if anyone comes across this and is looking to fix that gear there is a guy on ebay who is making new ones

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Zahnrad-nr-1-fur-PIONEER-CD-Wechsler-PD-TM1-PD-TM2-PD-TM3-Ein-Stuck-PD/164176938602?_trkparms=aid=111001&algo=REC.SEED&ao=1&asc=225074&meid=16250131f3654854b42bb7555c4e2e0f&pid=100675&rk=2&rkt=15&mehot=none&sd=184509513719&itm=164176938602&pmt=0&noa=1&pg=2380057&_trksid=p2380057.c100675.m4236&_trkparms=pageci:36b6c95d-1ba3-11eb-ab05-566547244a3d|parentrq:7fd306841750acc7b43df6befffa23b0|iid:1

i got one for mine and it works great now seems he sells over 100 dif gears for dif cd players cassette players dat and dcc machines.

his ad says there not 3rd printed but made from kind of polyurethane resin moulding.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom