Zilch's AK Design Collaborative - Econowave Speaker

L1 is good to go. Jack designed L2's mounting hardware for Erse's standard iron core inductor using 4 mounting bolts. Erse's Super Q mounting hardware consists of 2 bolts and physically occupies the same PCB real estate so that might be a more stable fit with minimal alteration to the existing Econowave PCB. Basically drill two holes and you're good to go.

Here's the updated LE14A Econowave BOM including Rational35's inductor suggestions:

le14a.jpg

C1: Dayton Audio DMPC-4.7 4.7uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part # 027-422

C2: Dayton Audio DMPC-15 15uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part # 027-432

C3: Dayton Audio DMPC-1.5 1.5uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part # 027-412

L1: Dayton Audio 0.60mH 20 AWG Air Core Inductor Crossover Coil
Part # 257-040

L2: ERSE Super Q 2.0mH 16 AWG 500W Inductor Crossover Coil
Part # 266-904 (or if you aren't using Zilch's PCBs: Jantzen 5811 2.0mH 13 AWG P-Core Inductor, Part # 255-157)

R1: Dayton Audio DNR-16 16 Ohm 10W Precision Audio Grade Resistor
Part # 004-16

R2: Dayton Audio DNR-25 25 Ohm 10W Precision Audio Grade Resistor
Part # 004-25

LPad: L-Pad 50W Mono 1" Shaft 8 Ohm
Part # 260-255

Binding posts: Dayton Audio BPA-38SN HD Binding Post Pair Satin Nickel
Part # 091-1247

Waveguide: Dayton Audio H6512 6-1/2" x 12" Waveguide 1-3/8"- 18 TPI -
Part # 270-318

Compression driver:
Selenium D220Ti 1" Titanium Horn Driver 8 Ohm 1-3/8"-18 Part # 264-270

Last edited:
Actually, you could drill two holes and zip tie across the top of the Jantzen inductor rather than running the Erse in L2. The choice is up to you.

Nice tidy-up of the list, @wiredbecker :)

I tend to leave a messy trail of breadcrumbs.

I think Jack went to the Super-Q coil after the original pcb layout was done, when he did the LE14A version... but the Jantzen is a better solution if you can make it fit.

<edit> Chris, do you have any of those boards left? or the artwork files? I'm thinking about doing an updated version, with some inductor mounting options, maybe plated-thru holes etc. as a subscriber-bonus to help AK. I did that with some STK-0050 module boards for the guys repairing vintage receivers over in the Pioneer forum. I think I owe Zilch one.

Last edited:
@SteveSmiley

I've been searching this forum for a cabinet plan but have not seen any. Would you share your plans? I would like to build this speaker too. Jason

I will build my own cabinets, 3/4 inch Birch plywood with Oak Baffles (3/4 inch Oak-faced) with left-over lumber. I have the lumber to build them the approximate dimensions of the PE Trapezoid, minus the Trapezoid. So the appx. dimensions will be 24 X 17 X 13 (H X W X D).

Cabinet Plans-

Hello Jason, My cabinet update will disappoint you. I didn't have plans other than what I was sketching on a legal pad. I started with the General dimensions of the Parts Express trapezoid cabinet and eliminated the trapezoid, so now it is a rectangular box. And then, after suggestions of making the box as big as I could, stretched the depth as much as I could with the lumber I had on hand. I never started the cabinets as it is too damn cold in my garage (doubling as my fair-weather shop). I've had some success with smaller cabinets lately and thought I would attempt building the bigger ones from scratch. But honestly, I'm no real craftsman, I just act as if...and make it up as I go along. I was going to cut sides, top, and bottom the same width then, with my router, dadoe joints to insert the back panel and flush mount the front baffle. I'm sure I would eventually be successful, but with fudging along the way. I have faith that I will make cabinets someday, but for now, I've gone a different route:

I found two sets of speakers on CL that I'm working with. First find was a pair of huge RCA Victor Cabinets that went with one of their original stereo consoles from 1958:
IMG_6727.JPG

Then, after reading a post somewhere in here that we couldn't really go bigger than 4 cubic ft for the DC300 woofer, I decided these were way too big (they are more like 6.5 cubic ft.). So, the next find was a pair of Optimus Mach Three. the Mach Three (all the Machs) are fitted with a 15" woofer that is often recognized as too big for their cabinets. I got to thinking...what if I pulled the drivers from the Machs and planned to repurpose the innards for the RCA Victor cabs? Then I could use the empty cabs from the Machs for my Ewave project. I will just cut out the existing front baffle from the Machs and make a new one with cut outs for the Econowave drivers. OK, it doesn't eliminate garage shop time in the cold but it will be a whole lot less time! So that is what I'm doing!

IMG_6738.JPG IMG_6742.JPG
Truth be told, the Mach cabinet seems really small now as well. EarlK and Djangle encouraged me to get them as big as I could for flexibility, but I think this size should tune out nicely. They are about 2.8 Cubic ft. each. I will try my hand with WinISD to tune the boxes but I bet I will be reaching out here for help to confirm my findings.

So, Jason, that was a long answer to say I don't really have "plans," just pencil sketches on a legal pad. I did load Sketch-up on my computer but I don't know how to use it yet. Again, unhelpful.

One thing I did use as a reference though, that may help - I used a pdf from Parts Express' knock-down cabinets (Denovo, almost anyone will do) and just changed the dimensions. It is often included in the Manuals & Resources part of the product page. Come to think of it, I think I saw a Sketch-up file on one of them that I might be able to download and do something with for you. Check out item #300-7064, for example, to see what I mean.

So sorry I couldn't be more helpful. I'll let you know if I make some progress with Sketch-up. But don't give up, we can do this with all the help on this forum! It's incredible!

Steve

Those Victor cabinets are awesome! Thanks for the tip about the Parts Express Sketchup file. I downloaded it and will scale it up to my needs. I have a pair of Advent Large speakers that I had originally intended to modify but I can't bring myself to adulterate them so I'm going to try to make custom cabinets for my Econowaves.

Jason,
I think you are making a good decision. It will be a very satisfying finished product for you,

I'm totally comfortable cutting up the Mach Three cabinets after reading about RSSteve and Copa's Rhino Mach 4 project (search for the thread if interested). A better speaker awaits the Mach parts! And yes, I love the Victor cabinets. I'm looking forward to starting that project. I put the Victors in the garage with a blanket over them in hopes that I forget about them until I finish a few other projects. I am the king of starting projects before finishing others. It's mayhem in my basement!

I can fit both Mach cabinets in one of the Victors They are healthy-sized for sure!

On the Sketchup file, I thought I would add a dadoe to the top and bottom and increase the height of the back panel so it will nestle in nicely. I noted that is how the cabs on the Overnight Sensations are cut and it makes for a nice-to-assemble cabinet. Are you a Sketchup user? I bet there are more people than just you and I looking for a good plan for Ewave cabs. Good luck with your project! We look forward to seeing them (I think it is OK to speak for us AKers).

Cheers, Steve

I am. I've been using it for years. Designed a whole house with it. I was an AutoCAD user before but sketchup is so much more user friendly. Perhaps there is a need for a AK Sketchup Plan forum.

Are you a Sketchup user? I bet there are more people than just you and I looking for a good plan for Ewave cabs. Good luck with your project! We look forward to seeing them (I think it is OK to speak for us AKers).

While I'm at it here's the current parts list from the last time I built up a pair of Econowave speakers in Advent Utility cabs.

LoSens_XO_Schematic_A.jpg

<95db/w Econowave Standard Parts List

Part # 027-422

C2: Dayton Audio DMPC-12 12uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part # 027-430

C3: Dayton Audio DMPC-0.47 0.47uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part # 027-406

Part # 257-040

or the slightly more expensive

Jantzen Audio 0.60mH 20 AWG Air Core Inductor
Part # 255-040

L2: ERSE 1.5mH 18 AWG I Core Inductor
Part # 266-552 (More expensive, mounts to PCB using mounting hardware)

or

Dayton Audio 1.5mH 18 AWG I Core Inductor Crossover Coil
Part # 257-552 (Less expensive, mounts using zip ties)

R1: Dayton Audio DNR-30 30 Ohm 10W Precision Audio Grade Resistor
Part # 004-30

R2: Dayton Audio DNR-16 16 Ohm 10W Precision Audio Grade Resistor
Part # 004-16

L-Pad: L-Pad 50W Mono 1" Shaft 8 Ohm
Part # 260-255

Binding posts:
Dayton Audio BPA-38SN HD Binding Post Pair Satin Nickel
Part # 091-1247

Waveguide: Dayton Audio H6512 6-1/2" x 12" Waveguide 1-3/8"- 18 TPI
Part # 270-318

Compression driver:
Selenium D220Ti 1" Titanium Horn Driver 8 Ohm 1-3/8"-18
Part # 264-270

Hi Steve,

Over a year ago GordonW worked up a costing of the eWave standard HERE in THIS POST!

This will give you an idea of what you'll need to budget.

:)

PS; I did a WinISD workup of the DC300 in a 2.3cu' cabinet tuned to 30hz. It looked fine & very workable with a 3db down point below 35hz ( so that's good ).

Two, 2" i.d. ports, 6.75" long will give you an @ 29hz tuning.

A 3.0 - 3.5cu' cabinet ( if manageable ) will offer greater flexibility for future tunings or other projects.

Hello EarlK,

I'm now using a donor cabinets from an Optimus Mach Three (see above) for my Econowave standard with the DC300. The cabinet measures 30 x 17.75 x 12 inches O.D. That gives me a volume of 2.8 cubic ft. I plugged it in WinISD at a tuning of 30 Hz, and I get two, 2 inch ports at 5.23" length. This has a 3db down of about 32 Hz. If you have a moment to run the numbers, do you get the same thing? Do you like what the numbers say? Thank you very much, as I'm trying to learn how to use this tool.

Regards

Steve

Sure, 2.8cu' tuned to 30hz looks good.

I get the same thing and the curve ( + 3db down point looks the same ).

:)
Thanks so much for the vote of confidence. I feel I'm stumbling a bit through the software, but I'm getting there! Time to break out the saw and router!

Steve--those are definitely the proper components for your DC300-based build as opposed to Jack's early iteration of the <95db/w Econowave Standard Parts List that I linked above. You're good to go! Big thanks to Earl and Gordon.
:beerchug:

Steve--those are definitely the proper components for your DC300-based build as opposed to Jack's early iteration of the <95db/w Econowave Standard Parts List that I linked above. You're good to go! Big thanks to Earl and Gordon.
Thank you for that confirmation as well Chris! And thank you for the boards. I reviewed the parts list to confirm I had it all. I realized I only ordered two ports instead of four so I corrected that and ordered a handful of other supplies from PE this morning. Hopefully, all will arrive simultaneously and I can get crackin'. I made some progress on the cabinets today and hope to be test-fitting Saturday evening!

The problem is solved. The ports were to small for the woofers to perform properly. More of the B-52 buyout parts from P.E. did the trick. Two ports per cabinet and now there is bass. Another lesson learned from this build.

Attachments

• B52DuctsIn (1).JPG
    B52DuctsIn (1).JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 156
  • B52DuctsUnCut.PNG
    B52DuctsUnCut.PNG
    114.4 KB · Views: 44
Econowave Standard Crossover BOM for DC300 woofer

fetch

C1: Dayton Audio DMPC-3.3 3.3uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part # 027-420

C2: 10uF 100V Electrolytic Non-Polarized Crossover Capacitor
Part # 027-340

C3: Dayton Audio DMPC-0.47 0.47uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part # 027-406

L1: Dayton Audio 0.80mH 20 AWG Air Core Inductor Crossover Coil
Part # 257-044

L2: Dayton Audio 4.0mH 18 AWG I Core Inductor Crossover Coil
Part # 257-562

R1: Dayton Audio DNR-30 30 Ohm 10W Precision Audio Grade Resistor
Part # 004-30

R2: Dayton Audio DNR-16 16 Ohm 10W Precision Audio Grade Resistor
Part # 004-16

L-Pad: Speaker L-Pad Attenuator 15W Mono 1" Shaft 8 Ohm
Part # 260-250

Binding posts: Dayton Audio BPA-38SN HD Binding Post Pair Satin Nickel
Part # 091-1247

Waveguide: Dayton Audio H6512 6-1/2" x 12" Waveguide 1-3/8"- 18 TPI
Part # 270-318

Compression Driver: Dayton Audio DT250T-8 1" Titanium Horn Driver 1-3/8"-18 TPI 8 Ohm
Part # 270-404

or the tried and true slightly more expensive

Selenium D220Ti 1" Titanium Horn Driver 8 Ohm 1-3/8"-18
Part # 264-270

Woofer:
Dayton Audio DC300-8 12" Classic Woofer
Part # 295-320

>95db Econowave Crossover BOM (For high efficiency woofers above 95 dB/1W sensitivity)

index.php

Part # 027-422

C2: Dayton Audio DMPC-12 12uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part # 027-430

C3: Dayton Audio DMPC-1.5 1.5uF 250V Polypropylene Capacitor
Part # 027-412

Part # 257-040

or

Jantzen Audio 0.60mH 20 AWG Air Core Inductor
Part # 255-040

L2: ERSE 1.5mH 18 AWG I Core Inductor
Part # 266-552 (More expensive, mounts to PCB using mounting hardware)

or

Dayton Audio 1.5mH 18 AWG I Core Inductor Crossover Coil Part # 257-552 $4.18 x 2 = $8.36 (Less expensive, mounts using zip ties)

R1: Dayton Audio DNR-16 16 Ohm 10W Precision Audio Grade Resistor
Part # 004-16

R2: Dayton Audio DNR-25 25 Ohm 10W Precision Audio Grade Resistor
Part # 004-25

L-Pad: L-Pad 50W Mono 1" Shaft 8 Ohm
Part # 260-255

Binding Posts: Dayton Audio BPA-38SN HD Binding Post Pair Satin Nickel
Part # 091-1247

Waveguide:
Dayton Audio H6512 6-1/2" x 12" Waveguide 1-3/8"- 18 TPI
Part # 270-318

Compression Driver: Selenium D220Ti 1" Titanium Horn Driver 8 Ohm 1-3/8"-18
Part # 264-270

Attachments

• >95db Econowave Crossover.png
    >95db Econowave Crossover.png
    177.6 KB · Views: 356
Last edited:
Finished!

Oh my ... Sounds stupid good!

I am so giddy right now. I finished my Econowave standard in a modded donor cab from a pair of Optimus Mach Three (see earlier post). I'm loving how they sound! As I was nearing the end of the build I was trying to talk myself out of having really high expectations. I was working really hard on them and didn't want a huge let down...

I threw on some various test tracks and what first struck me was how good the bass is. Yeah, maybe that isn't what is supposed to be most impressive but that got my attention first.

Ok, do yourself a favor. Sit yourself down in front of your ewaves and throw on Frank Zappa-You Can't Do That on Stage Anymore, Volume 3 and play Hands With a Hammer. Play it loud! It's a drum solo, and a real one at that, no drum kit here, let your kids here it too. It would be a real treat for them since most of what they get now-a-days is electronic beats.

It was about this time in my listening that I noticed my eyes puddling up. I don't know if I was starting to cry from joy or if my tear ducts were giving in to the SPL!

While you're at it, let the next track play too - Zoot Allures. It's fun stuff! If you are going to listen to the whole album, send your kids out of the room. It's a little off-color.

I threw on more music and am just so happy with them! I called my daughter down to the basement so she could here some of "her" music. I played Au/Ra, Panic Room for her. I sat her in my listening chair and she started grooving. I was just about to crouch by the chair ( I was a few feet to her right) so I could get in the sweet spot when it hit me... I am in the sweet spot! I was standing in front of the right speaker, literally, and I was getting a sound stage! OK, not an incredible one, but I didn't have to try and squeeze us both into the chair to enjoy how it sounded! It is really impressive.

Thank you, Zilch (RIP), everyone, Wiredbecker, EarlK, everyone! This has been a great experience, culminating in a great sounding speaker...and this is the Standard Econowave! This speaker is so much fun! What else is out there?!

Here come some pics

Back
Top Bottom