3D printing Rectilinear Highboy badges

tyella

I recently purchased a 3D printer (the prices have REALLY come down!) and am starting to tinker with making badges for my Highboys. This is a first pass and was modeled without having any measurements. Sanding and painting will be required, but for a first draft I'm pleased.

If anyone has measurements, I would really appreciate it.

IMG_20190119_115109988.jpg

I'm hoping for something like overall length, height of rectangular part, height of circular part, height of letters.

Here's what it looks like with minimal sanding and some paint. The orange background is visible in the Wikipedia photo of the logo, but it's the only instance I've seen. It looks cool, so I tried it.

IMG_20190119_164747369.jpg

There's an Ebay listing for badges that has the length measurement (2 5/8"). I'm only off by 3 mm. Not bad for an estimation!

I'll print the final badges at a higher resolution.

Those are awesome! My highboys are unfortunately in storage at the moment,:( otherwise I would give you measurements. I have seen some with the red, but mine are just the gold, with black background.
How are you going to attach them? The originals have 2 plastic pins about 1/8 inch wide and 1/4 inch long. One of mine actually has one of the pins snapped off, so it occasionally rotates to one side. Maybe when I get mine back in the house, I'll hit you up for a pair of badges! Are you thinking of making a bunch and selling them?

I'll probably adhere with double sided tape, but I have to replace the cloth first.

The print isn't exact, bit it's pretty close.

I considered making some for sale, but I doubt there's enough demand. If I hear some convincing arguments, maybe I'll post them up in Bartertown.

I'll probably adhere with double sided tape, but I have to replace the cloth first.

The print isn't exact, bit it's pretty close.

I considered making some for sale, but I doubt there's enough demand. If I hear some convincing arguments, maybe I'll post them up in Bartertown.

Font is pretty close. That’s cool, makes me want to get a 3-D printer. I have a friend who has a small side business using one.

Font is pretty close. That’s cool, makes me want to get a 3-D printer. I have a friend who has a small side business using one.

My local library has a 3d printer available for use. Your local library may have one. Or you may have a local makers group that could help out. All you need is a compatible file.

I'm learning that there's a lot more to it than simply putting a file in and pushing a button. After about a week I think I have the basics figured out, but I'm just scratching the surface. As a tinkerer, it's fun. For most "normal" people it would be maddening.

I'm using the "kiddie pool" version of the software, Tinkercad. The font choices are severely limited. It was just lucky happenstance that the rounded serif font was similar. Looking at the more advanced software has my head spinning. This is where the rubber meets the road. Printing Star Wars busts or other pre-modeled images is one thing, but creating something from scratch is very time consuming.

That said, if anyone wants the file, such as it is, just PM me and I'll send it along. Eventually I'll post it to Thingiverse and put the link up here. If anyone with real skills can improve on it, please join in!

Here's what it looks like with minimal sanding and some paint. The orange background is visible in the Wikipedia photo of the logo, but it's the only instance I've seen. It looks cool, so I tried it.

View attachment 1391417

There's an Ebay listing for badges that has the length measurement (2 5/8"). I'm only off by 3 mm. Not bad for an estimation!

I'll print the final badges at a higher resolution.
Impressive!

That's quite a collection! Are those 3D printed, or fabricated from metal?

Metal fabrication and silk screen ,I give them out as favors to Mcintosh guys as to avoid copyright problems ,I wish I could show the XR-290 owners medallions I just had made but that's for the members who got them to show ,or keep to themselves ,the work is superb though .

I think we have a winner. In the spirit of "close enough," I present my new Rectilinear badges!
I decided against the orange/red background as the contrast was better with gold on black. Some gold paint and a coat of clear matte Krylon acrylic and they're done.

Rectilinear badges.jpg

Nice work, what model is your printer and how big in the X/Y dimensions can it print?

Those look great!

Did you build it from the kit, or does it come assembled also?

It's mostly assembled. The whole process took a couple of hours, but I was being careful. Some pre-installed screws had to be loosened to level the supports and then re-tightened. It wasn't difficult, for a tinkerer. The darn thing does take up space, though. And it isn't silent.

That video shows what I got. There are some really good videos showing how to assemble and correct factory problems.

Back
Top Bottom