Are NFL refs crooked?

Wow!
That's incredible.
I'm not sure where outside influences come into play (If in fact they do).
I've thought about it only slightly.
My thoughts tend to run into ,
It's a sport owned by billionaires .
It's a tremendous money making machine.
The commissioner works for the owners.
His job is to make the league as profitable as possible .
The refs work under the commissioner .
If it were,determined that if a certain game were closer or one team winning would get them higher ratings, I could see certain calls being fair game (For the greater good$:D)
Just a half baked theory.

Wow!
That's incredible.
I'm not sure where outside influences come into play (If in fact they do).
I've thought about it only slightly.
My thoughts tend to run into ,
It's a sport owned by billionaires .
It's a tremendous money making machine.
The commissioner works for the owners.
His job is to make the league as profitable as possible .
The refs work under the commissioner .
If it were,determined that if a certain game were closer or one team winning would get them higher ratings, I could see certain calls being fair game (For the greater good$:D)
Just a half baked theory.
It's entertainment, show biz is based on putting butts in seats (Oscar Hammerstein) or eyeballs on screens to benefit sponsors. Most of the principal actors love their jobs on the field while being aware their careers are generally brutally on borrowed time. While there are examples of poor chatacter, there are also commendable players who give back to their communities and serve as positive role models. Merlin Olson was from my home ground for one notable example, look him up.

Vegas owns the NFL. There's ALOT of money on this sport at the NCAA and professional level. Do I think football at these levels is rigged? You Betcha.

Which is the reason I totally enjoyed watching an Oklahoma running back take a knee two yards from the end zone instead of making an easy score when they'd already won the game vs Oklahoma State. Rumor has it the over/under was completely f'uped when that happened and millions in bets went up in smoke. :rockon:

O/U's a pretty tricky bet anyway.

The only O/U I ever picked in football (but didn't put money on) is Army/Navy game. The total is always set too high because even though both teams seem to score early and often, they mostly run the ball all day, and the clock keeps moving.

The non-call was not so iffy. If the ref thought the ball arrived at the same time as the hit, there is no P.I. The Ram CB not playing the ball while defending is a foul but rarely called. Helmet to helmet, i.e. targeting a defenseless receiver is a possibility but the hit was not severe. I've seen much worse that was not called. It was the moment and the New Orleans sour grapes that have magnified this non-call into something that it isn't.

And New Orleans has a lot to be sour about. They should have gone up 21-0 to start the game. The Rams could not have played worse and yet, N.O. let them hang around. After the score was 13-0, the Rams outplayed N.O., call or no call. And at the end of regulation, why was N.O. throwing the ball? That's bad coaching. After the non-call and leading 23-20, N.O. defense couldn't get a stop. N.O. had plenty of chances to put away this game but failed. Grousing about a non-call is a coverup for poor play.

N.O. had plenty of chances to put away this game but failed. Grousing about a non-call is a coverup for poor play.

I didn't watch the game but I heard the same from people that did watch it, also read what you're saying on sports sites.

The only way to avoid this situation is dominate your opponent and make the refs a non-factor, and if not... the outcome of a close game could be flip a coin in many different scenarios.

I still think it's rigged at times.

Agree with you SoCal that the Saints should've been running the ball. That was a mistake but the non PI was huge.

I hate it when they blow a shit ton of obvious calls only to ' get flag happy " and decide the outcome of a game. If you're gonna fart around nilly willy for half the game repeat it for the other half. just saying...

The NFL is the new WWF, and yes, it's rigged. If you watched those games and didn't come away realizing the plan was an East coast/ West Coast Super Bowl wasn't the plan, you need a reality check. Corruption is always present when Billions of $$$ are on the line.

No longer a fan.

The flag from the booth could be launched from the cable-mounted TV camera.

In fact, that flag could be crowd-sourced from the TV audience. Now we're gettin' somewhere...

That non call was nothing compared to what the refs did to Seattle in the Superbowl vs the Steelers. That appeared to be a completely ref engineered game.

Back
Top Bottom