PS Audio Sprout100 Integrated. Any opinions?

Ah, the power of the internet to drive sales of audio equipment that nobody knew they 'needed'. That line has been uttered by many an audio fan.

While it is fun to read and watch information about new products it can be really easy to get sucked into the 'this is so much better than what you have' or 'your system just isn't complete without this' whirlpool.

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Yeah, I am not just changing my system on a whim, I have been doing a lot of research and trying to build a nice and simple two channel audio system around my ZU Audio DW's that I will be happy with for years. After I am done. I am not coming back to this website. For obvious reasons. At least not for awhile. LOL. :)
But the Sprout 100 was on my VERY short list of components and seeing posts like this and the very recent review of it by Zero Fidelity, that guy shoots it straight, it's got me thinking.

Why?!?! Why did you have to do this to me?

:)

Just passing on my 2c -- having never heard the Saga and NuForce combo cant compare the two systems

IMO... the Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon is the 'weak link' in that system however the Sprout100 and ELAC combo is very good

Yeah, I am not just changing my system on a whim, I have been doing a lot of research and trying to build a nice and simple two channel audio system around my ZU Audio DW's that I will be happy with for years. After I am done. I am not coming back to this website. For obvious reasons. At least not for awhile. LOL. :)
But the Sprout 100 was on my VERY short list of components and seeing posts like this and the very recent review of it by Zero Fidelity, that guy shoots it straight, it's got me thinking.

And this is the good point to make the decision, while still within return windows.

But that being said what other product type would people say things like
"This system is absolutely AMAZING! I cant even comprehend what I am hearing.
My system went from real good to SPECTACULAR! So if you want to copy me, I would highly suggest it.
Simply perfection.
so clean, so accurate
"
about and then think of 'upgrading'.

:)

Just passing on my 2c -- having never heard the Saga and NuForce combo cant compare the two systems

IMO... the Pro-Ject - Debut Carbon is the 'weak link' in that system however the Sprout100 and ELAC combo is very good

I understand and I appreciate your 2c.
You already know that I think the Saga/NuForce is good but............

And the Pro-Ject being the weakest link doesn't concern me at all. I have NO, absolutely 0 desire to go down the vinyl path. My only two methods of playback are streaming Spotify and playing cd's. That's it.

Jeff , have you tried a resistor across the +/- on your ZU Audio ?

Get it down to 8 or 6 ohm

doing so can alter the sound/music they reproduce and allow some amps to sound better

Jeff , have you tried a resistor across the +/- on your ZU Audio ?

Get it down to 8 or 6 ohm

doing so can alter the sound/music they reproduce and allow some amps to sound better

No, I haven't tried that yet. I have read little things here and there about it but really haven't looked into it. I also read that at 12ohms, it wasn't as big of a deal compared to 16ohms and so on.
Don't know how true that is. Why build a 12ohm speaker in the first place if you need 8 or 6ohm resistors to make your amp sound better?

I had the original Sprout which had a bass hump/aid at about 60hz or so, that made listening to my speakers unbearable with that amp as the bass was rather woolly and bloated. I think they were catering for book shelf speakers rather than floor standing speakers. I had to return it. I do not know if the new Sprout has been given that stupid bass hump/aid.

Just read, apparently the new Sprout one can have that bass boost disabled not sure how though, although It is still there is one chooses to use it apparently.
Offers a lot for the money I think.

Hi, guys. New to this forum. I bought the original PS Sprout a year ago. It worked properly buy some months ago it began to malfunction. When playing, all of a sudden a loud "thump" sound begins (I tried to attach an audio clip but this forum doesn't support mp3 or mp4) which deafens everything else, and only ends when one of the speakers is disconnected. When I turn it off and let it rest, it works fine for a while (time varies) but eventually the thumping starts again. Any thoughts on how to solve this? Might it be a hardware glitch? Thanks.

Hi, guys. New to this forum. I bought the original PS Sprout a year ago. It worked properly buy some months ago it began to malfunction. When playing, all of a sudden a loud "thump" sound begins (I tried to attach an audio clip but this forum doesn't support mp3 or mp4) which deafens everything else, and only ends when one of the speakers is disconnected. When I turn it off and let it rest, it works fine for a while (time varies) but eventually the thumping starts again. Any thoughts on how to solve this? Might it be a hardware glitch? Thanks.

Wow. That sucks. I was hoping for another glowing review of the Sprout. But with electronics I guess you have glitches here and there even with high quality companies like PS Audio. I would call PS Audio directly and talk to the Tech department. Those guys over there are awesome. And if they can’t solve it maybe you can send it in to them to fix or upgrade you to a new one. Good luck. Let’s us know what happens.

Edit: I have nothing nice to say so I'll say nothing at all.

Nice, not nice, just say what you’re going to say. That’s the entire point of threads and discussions. If something sucks, I want to know so I don’t make a mistake. And the bass boost on the new Sprout is easily defeated. If you use a sub, it’s automatically defeated. If you don’t, you just press the volume button and it defeates the bass boost.

Nice, not nice, just say what you’re going to say. That’s the entire point of threads and discussions. If something sucks, I want to know so I don’t make a mistake. And the bass boost on the new Sprout is easily defeated. If you use a sub, it’s automatically defeated. If you don’t, you just press the volume button and it defeates the bass boost.

I am not fond of Paul McGowan personally, it was a reflection of that and added nothing to the discussion. Should've just deleted the post rather than edit it (maybe I couldn't for some reason? Don't remember). Apologies.

I am not fond of Paul McGowan personally, it was a reflection of that and added nothing to the discussion. Should've just deleted the post rather than edit it (maybe I couldn't for some reason? Don't remember). Apologies.

No worries. There are obviously valid reasons for the way you feel. Thanks for a little more clarity. I was just wondering if it specifically was linked to the Sprout. Because it’s a unit I am seriously considering.

Back
Top Bottom