$25 CD's?

jdmccall

Browsing Amazon for CD's to cement my status as an audio geezer, I kept coming across titles listed at $24.99 or thereabouts. Please tell me this isn't a trend! Granted, they were all jazz and classical titles, and most discs that I happened to look at were not priced that way, but still, I saw enough that were to be concerned. That would be about par for the course. All but eliminate CD availability then jack the prices up for the few remaining people who actually want them. I'm probably fretting over nothing, though. At least, I hope so.:dunno:

Are what you are seeing SACDs?

SACD and Mobile Fidelity SACDs are all over $25 for the most part. Supply and demand, I guess. More and more people care about music quality and are paying for it.

Prices will vary and sellers will get whatever someone will pay. There are "audiophile" CD's that cost more. In the end everyone needs to do some homework and check multiple sellers.

I'm probably fretting over nothing, though. At least, I hope so.:dunno:

You're probably fretting over nothing.

Just like anything else on Amazon the range of prices are staggering.

I just purchased a chainsaw tool I needed and the prices varied from $39 to $69 delivered, I have never understood why?

Are what you are seeing SACDs?

SACD and Mobile Fidelity SACDs are all over $25 for the most part. Supply and demand, I guess. More and more people care about music quality and are paying for it.
They were listed as CD's but I didn't look closer so it's possible they may have been SACD's. Some had been favorably reviewed in STEREOPHILE, so maybe the seller thought they could get a premium.:rolleyes:

In general, CD prices have been falling, but some older stuff that was not previously available on CD command some pretty stiff prices, since they are limited production runs--maybe only making a few thousand of them on a small re-issue label. As already mentioned, MFSL and other "high-fidelity" issues cost more, as well as those recordings in SACD format.

The first CD I bought in around '87 was $27 so I am occasionally prepared to spend a bit more on hard to get recordings.

Meanwhile seeing used CDs out my local pawn shop for $1 to $2, I'm like a dog in chocolate shop.

BTW, I didn't buy any of the $24.99 titles. I did buy two Wynton Marsalis titles (one used; "The Magic Hour" for $6.61 and one new; "Hayden Trumpet Concertos" for $7.78) and a Ry Cooder ("Jazz" for $11). Total shipped price was $25.39. :banana:

When I got my first decent system (late bloomer ;)) several years ago, I purchased several new CD's online. It didn't take long to realize how expensive it would be to buy everything new. Being somewhat frugal, I started scanning CL.This was back when people were putting their collection onto hard drives and selling the physical copy. Paid an average of $4-$5 each. Now, I only buy from thrift stores, pawn shops and garage sales at an average of $1-$3. Many of these are on quality labels such as EMI, Telarc, etc. Even found a few Chesky. Almost all Jazz and Classical.

For the price, I often buy things things I've not heard before. Sometimes, it gets given back to the thrift. However, once in a while, I pick up an obscure title/artist that blows me away. One of those (actually 2 separate CD's) for jazz is Mike Garson "The Oxnard Sessions". Volume 2 has the best rendition of "All Blues" that I've ever heard.

Happy hunting.

Meanwhile seeing used CDs out my local pawn shop for $1 to $2, I'm like a dog in chocolate shop.
Well, isn't that nice!
I stopped in our pawnshop the other day feeling an urge to dig through a pile of CD's looking for a diamond, or something new.
Sadly, I guess it's just too inconvenient for them to bother with CD's anymore.
The money is obviously in games and movies.

CD prices are all over the place. After the brickwall disaster of the 1990s and 2000s, the old 80s stuff in good condition is going up in value, especially the really old stuff like target CDs. New imports tend to be higher on Amazon in general. All the common stuff can be had for less than $5 somewhere. The highest price stuff is still either pretty rare or Audiophile stuff like Audio Fidelity gold CDs. People are starting to hoard up on the quality CDs. Most of what I see in the thrifts and even some of the popular record shops now is just pure trash, unless you get lucky. It wasn't that way just a few years ago. With digital streaming coming on fast CDs are becoming more of a collector's item. Who would have thunk it?

CD's are collected too, no different than record collecting. Particular pressings can be worth a lot of money.
Especially if it’s the only pressing. Most of the stuff in my collection that sells for real money is stuff that only had one CD pressing.

I've had very good luck buying CDs on the 'Bay. Used or new prices have been great and I have yet to be burned. Most recent purchase was Maggie Rogers' debut. Read a review in the Minneapolis paper which intrigued me...then saw her on Colbert and that sealed the deal. Figured it was right in my wife's taste range. First spin got a "Ok"...second time around was "Pretty good!"...third time was "I LOVE this!". I like it, too...recommended.

Well, isn't that nice!
I stopped in our pawnshop the other day feeling an urge to dig through a pile of CD's looking for a diamond, or something new.
Sadly, I guess it's just too inconvenient for them to bother with CD's anymore.
The money is obviously in games and movies.

Yes, some are buying in bulk and others aren't. Most deal in DVDs and Games.

Lucky for me there's one that is. I have three or four copies of Jeff Buckley's Grace, Radiohead's OK Computer, and Arcade Fire's first album Funeral. It always seems sacrilegious to see them for $3.

I bought a used CD on Amazon, awhile back for 1 cent. Guess they are making money on the shipping or something.

I bought a limited edition Japanese "Mini-LP", a CD with obi and stuff for $250 on eBay from Japan. I made the 1st Discogs entry. Before that most people didn't know about it. Seems like my original listing (demo version) is no longer there. It's been replaced by two other questionable entries.

Beth-Orton_Superpinkymandy2.jpg

In general there's no reason for $25 CD's. There's no limits at this point on production and most people in this forum and the world don't believe it represent ultimate fidelity (I disagree, but that's not the point). What is going for that kind of money are music Blu Rays especially multi channel ones. Steve Wilson remasters (Yes, Gentle Giant, Etc) are going for that kind of money and more especially the out of print ones. Most of my retail purchases lately have been the aforementioned remasters and concert Blu Rays and an occasional compilation CD.

I collect obscure psych, acid folk and prog CDs. Many of them have been released by small specialty companies and from overseas. These can get very pricey, probably due to small production.

Back
Top Bottom