Norman Lab Model Elevens in the House !!!

Does anyone know if the Credence woofer from the Model 10 is the same as the woofer in the Model 11? I picked up a really nice pair of Model 11's for free and the only known issue is one dead woofer. Also is it safe to assume if the woofer has the EIA code of 117 that these should operate at a 4ohm setting? I can't find any information on the Model 11's out there as far as sensitivity and ohm rating.

I phoned a friend, the legendary Dave from SpeakerWorks in Tulsa who used to assemble Norman Labs speakers, and he said the Model 11 is an 8ohm speaker. The 10in driver in the Model 11 is the same as the Model 10, 10in driver. I ordered one on eBay for $29.00 I got lucky I guess. The guy had two. So for the price of $29.00 I have some working or soon to be working Model 11's.

I own five sets or Norman's. Is this your first pair? I know they are a little obscure but the have a sound of there own and the range of frequency is imo better than most. And depending on location and condition way cheaper than anything that comes close

I own five sets or Norman's. Is this your first pair? I know they are a little obscure but the have a sound of there own and the range of frequency is imo better than most. And depending on location and condition way cheaper than anything that comes close

Yes these are my first pair of Norman’s. I live in Oklahoma City so I’m pretty close to the epicenter of all things NL. I’ve heard the 8’s before as well as the 7’s and I loved the sound of both models. I was patient and managed to find this pair for nothing.

Do you recommend recapping the crossovers? They’re not too complex but they’re staples to the inside of the enclosure and would likely be a bear to get in and out.

I’m going to clean the protection switches with a few drops of deoxit, they have been cutting in and out on me.

I’m anxious to get my new woofer in the mail and hopefully they’ll be good as new!

Lend me all of your Norman Labs expertise, there isn’t nearly enough information out there on these sleepers.

I'd be willing to help anyway I can. All of mine are original parts top to bottom never been opened. Except the 332's. The are now wearing a pair of woofs out of model 10's. The original foam was rotted and I was given the "10" woofs by a fellow Ak member at our Arkansas spring bash last year and they sound better than they did with the poly woofers. I would do as you have planed and clean them up inside and out and enjoy. Unless they have an obvious sound issue. All of mine had sat idle unloved for years before getting them home and after a week or so of playing through the sansui 771 they all woke up and remembered what life was supposed to be for them. Lol. We are about 4 hours apart if you want to make a road trip sometime and come have some good food,could cold beers and about any vinyl you'd ever want to listen to. Lol

Eric

Also kirkindol is a super smart guy on any in general he has a few pairs and is where we had our spring gathering. He hooked me up with my first tube amp. And I really need to go see him and take care of my debt with him. Lol he can help with more technical questions as I know most but haven't been under the "hood" as much as he has. Very nice guy and great cook alsoIMG_0668.JPGIMG_0788.JPG

My favorite Normans are my 432's, they are power hungry and really come alive when they were matched with a Sansui 9090db. My second favs were my model 8's, I liked them a hair better than the model 10's I used to have.

Kirkindols 432's are beautiful and sound very good too. They are the darker of the two color options

My 432 Normans, the only speakers that I've got that I had to refoam not only the woofers but the midranges too lol. Like I was saying I had run these with a few of my lower powered solid state amps 15 to 30 watts and wasn't really impressed. When John brought over his monster sansui 9090db to the AK gathering at my house and hooked them to it they freaking came alive, those mofos just encased me with sound, just amazing!
Screenshot_20190130-220124.png

Those are gorgeous! I found a roached out pair of 431’s nearby, but I don’t know a ton about that model. Plus the tweeters are missing...

A friend of mine passed off a cheap rack preamp that he had lying around that has some XLR outs on it. I’m going to try and feed these Norman’s some huge power from some make/model of a PA amplifier and see what they do. Aside from that my JBL’s could likely open up with a bit more power.

I’m curious about how to go about cleaning those protection buttons on the back of the cabinets. I don’t want to go to town shooting deoxit in there if it’s going to damage things.
The tweeter and woofer will breakup a bit if I change the position of the tweeter increase/decrease switch as well.

I’m anxious to get them running again.

I've never touched the ones on my 8's and my 432's do not have them. Your best bet is to start a new thread about it and I know you will get your answer :D.

Those are gorgeous! I found a roached out pair of 431’s nearby, but I don’t know a ton about that model. Plus the tweeters are missing...

A friend of mine passed off a cheap rack preamp that he had lying around that has some XLR outs on it. I’m going to try and feed these Norman’s some huge power from some make/model of a PA amplifier and see what they do. Aside from that my JBL’s could likely open up with a bit more power.

I’m curious about how to go about cleaning those protection buttons on the back of the cabinets. I don’t want to go to town shooting deoxit in there if it’s going to damage things.
The tweeter and woofer will breakup a bit if I change the position of the tweeter increase/decrease switch as well.

I’m anxious to get them running again.

Heck if you can get the 431's for cheap/free you could maybe part them out and make some hobby money lol.

Heck if you can get the 431's for cheap/free you could maybe part them out and make some hobby money lol.
Don't think the tweets are anything more than a Philips tweet, just need to know which one and then find it on the bay.

Don't think the tweets are anything more than a Philips tweet, just need to know which one and then find it on the bay.
Dave is the best bet at speaker works. Not too many with same "box" and all. I've seen a few for sale but not many. But if og's are not available then a temporary replacement would suffice. But I probly would not part them out if it were I but I would like to save all the Norman's I can. Lol

Those don't look like the standard Philips tweeter used in many Normans. If a ribbon, those might be replaceable with some othe ribbons. But I haven't seen any other pictures of the 431 or any info on the speaker.

that is a different looking speaker for a Norman that's for sure. All speakers in cabinets look different especially with all the trim rings? Very cool to see examples I haven't seen before

The 431s were bright compared to models with the Phillips tweeter. That's why they were the only generation with that tweeter. Also, in the picture above the midrange has been replaced. The 431s used a foam dome 5" midrange. Here's a better pic

norman-laboratories-model-431_1_c599a7494a8ae31500caedefa3590bc8.jpg

Back
Top Bottom