Birthday announcement suggestion?

Erik Tracy

Everyone's happy when the wizard walks by
Count me in the camp that while birthday announcements make for a homey feel to AK, it does clutter up the General forum unnecessarily, imho.

Can the powers that be perhaps consider creating an account/username that doesn't have admin rights for making bday announcments so that it gives other users the option to 'ignore' Bday announcements?

As is, you can't ignore the posts.

Just a humble suggestion.

My suggestion is to create a forum just for Birthday threads, milestone threads, memorial threads and similar topics. Once the game threads made the Off Topic Forum confusing until they got outsourced.

I would like to edit this suggestion. I think that many of us would like to see a special forum just for memorial threads. The staff could post it below the gaming forum, for example.

A lot of appreciated AK members had do leave this planet in the last months and years. It is natural that the number of memorial threads will increase in the future. It would be possibly appropriate and useful to unite these threads in a special forum.

Last edited:
Once the game threads made the Off Topic Forum confusing until they got outsourced.
IMHO that makes the "Gaming" forum useless to me--the forum description clearly lists game consoles as accepted topics...

upload_2019-2-3_10-47-3.png

...and that is what I am looking for. (And I'm not going to get into what "and more..." means. But I know what "gaming" means, as do our fellow gamers.) Instead, it's full of threads with word games and such that are not even remotely close to discussions of gaming consoles and their associated games. Can't scroll past all the noise on a regular basis (who has time?), so I have to do a search on the console I'm interested in to find the one needle in a haystack which I may want to reply in. In short, not worth the bother for me, so I'll discuss it elsewhere. :) It just would be fun to have a place to discover what fellow forum members are into re: consoles, online, mobile, etc. and compare notes...without the "noise" of word games cluttering it up.

B-Days are posted in General Off Topic forum
They are off topic
What should be posted in General Off Topic that would not clutter it, that's what it's there for, clutter and BS most are not on the site for IMHO.

Maybe I should open my own thread on the topic I mentioned above... :idea:
Indeed. :thumbsup:

I really can't understand why there is any push-back here. De-clutter is good. For heaven's sake, what on earth is the downside? It's not like the admins have to chisel a new bust in Mt. Rushmore. :rolleyes:

FWIW, I was the one who suggested and lobbied for getting the game posts moved to it's own catgory. It greatly cleaned up the general forum.

My suggestion is to create a forum just for Birthday threads, milestone threads, memorial threads and similar topics. Once the game threads made the Off Topic Forum confusing until they got outsourced.

I think this is a good idea. I try to liven up the Off-Topic forum now and then, but my threads are almost instantly pushed off the front page by the Birthday threads. Woe is me
index.php

I can see wherein the BD thread is a chance for buds/friends to have a chance to interact with one another...a nice touch. For a newbie, it prob wouldn't mean that much.

It offers a chance to see if the recipients are still on site, but are more content to take a back seat when they respond to the wishers of well.

Some of the comments/wishes are both interesting/unique and create humour.

It suppose it gives a warm fuzzy of community to who are remembered.

I general, I tend to see it as an overall positive spin for those who become involved, or as others suggested, it can be just ignored,

Perhaps, the procedure could be modded to highlight the decades or semi-decades ( I think pos here in terms of longevity):D that could be PC generated based on the member info supplied. This in turn would lessen the annual "clutter" that worry some on board.

For what it's worth this day, eh?

Q

There are so many good and positive aspects to the presence of the birthday announcements, but I can see how people might get annoyed with their appearance in the G.O.T forum each day. Not sure what the answer is, maybe they are just too positive to do anything about.

Back
Top Bottom