Compatability

rsrguy

I just bought a Marantz pm8004 ... What do I need to run the optical audio from my TV into the pm8004 ? Or is that a poor idea? If it's doable which input should I use since I'm using the aux in for streaming. Will it work through the recorder in? 20190129_190846.jpg

You sir need a DAC! Optical in to DAC, RCAs from DAC to pm8004

Can I ask what you paid / why you went with that model? The specs look okay, but the MSRP was... Excessive.

As for input, Turner or CD. Doesn't matter.

Last edited:
It was available second hand from new friend from a small group of sound freaks locally..... $500. It sounds fantastic and it's pushing ns-1000's with busted tweets, I can only imagine what it will sound like once they've been repaired!

My intent was to have A/F SQ that I could use with the TV and not have to jump up to change the volume on our vintage pioneer system...

I'd recommend a Topping D30 ($120 from Amazon) or if you want to go American, a Schitt Modi ($100).

If that's more than you're looking to spend there are other options as low as $30.

I think I’ll grab a $20 one from amazon for the video and the D30 for the HD lossless files. I’m pretty stoked, and unfortunately hooked on the hifi hunt. The next system will be for the shop and probably use some monitor 8s silvers or a pair of tannoy Dorset’s I’ve had my eye on, and a bigger amp maybe even tubes. I’ll likely use just a tuner and a cd changer for that.
Did I over pay?

Fiio D3 is a good cheap option. The Topping D30 is much better, with DSD support and all. The D30 has multiple inputs, so depending how you're feeding it you may not need another DAC!

No, don't think you over paid, it's a good integrated, I'm just a big fan of separates. Typically more power and more flexible for similar money.

Granted, I'm a bit obsessed with planars. With the stand mounts you're looking at you should be fine.

So I take it you're referring to a speaker type that requires more WPC and power? What is it you like about that type of set up ?

So I take it you're referring to a speaker type that requires more WPC and power? What is it you like about that type of set up ?

As a planar owner (Magnepans and ESL's) I feel qualified to answer. Planars IME/O sound more open and alive than most things in a box. Yes, there are boxes that may sound better. However, none of them that do are as reasonably priced as a planar. That they require more power is a moot point for me. I first choose speakers that I like the sound of and then supply whatever power they need to produce the best results.

Planars and ESL's with the right recording place you in the hall ("you are there") as opposed to "they are here" as exemplified by Klipsch and JBL.

If the OP is really strapped for cash the Topping D-10 is $90 @ Amazon. It does PCM up to 384/32 and DSD up to 256. It also has a Window that displays the sampling rate and type of the file being converted.

Last edited:
Excellent explanation. The d30 is on the way. I managed to put it all together yesterday. I'm amazed the SQ just directly streaming from Apple music. The sub is performing awesome and I can't imagine what it will end up sounding like with vandersteens upgraded crossovers. With all of that delineated, (and I'm very happy with the product of the components) I have no idea what to expect from a dac in the formula, much less what a planar system, would produce.. I hope I can just be content with this for a while and enjoy it, and not feel driven to keep upgrading. After all, I have airplanes to build and a muscle car to restore . ... lol

You should listen to some planars. Most like or dislike them right away. If you like the sound most boxes will never sound right again. That's been my experience.

Several buddies switched to planars after hearing mine. They spurred one friend who had no stereo at all to buy a system built around Magneplanars (3.6).

The prospect of that scares me. I can't wait to hear a good planar system, I'm also hesitant, as I tend to fixate on acquiring stuff I like/love.

In 1976 I heard a pair of Magnepan MG-1's while on my lunch hour. I went home, sold my B&O S-75's and bought a pair of MG-1's. The B&O's were the same price as the Maggies and only one month old. Since then I've had nothing but Maggies or ESL's in my main system.

From what I see you don't need anything except a set of RCA cables ,RCA audio out from TV to Tuner in on your Marantz and your done ,a $5 fix .

Possible, yes, but the TV's in-built DAC is almost certainly trash.

Why would you say that ?quality DAC chips aren't expensive and have been put in nearly every flat screen TV ,nobody in our hobby should assume something will sound bad & neddlessly spend $ before listening to what they have ,his TV DAC could be the best sounding chip set made .

Why would you say that ?quality DAC chips aren't expensive and have been put in nearly every flat screen TV ,nobody in our hobby should assume something will sound bad & neddlessly spend $ before listening to what they have ,his TV DAC could be the best sounding chip set made .

The digital part of a DAC is easy. A substantial part of the quality of a DAC is the analog circuit connected to the output of the dac chip. And it is the analog circuit that differs the most between equipment. I would not expect the television to contain an audiophile quality analog circuit because it does not add value to the TV for the typical purchaser.

The digital part of a DAC is easy. A substantial part of the quality of a DAC is the analog circuit connected to the output of the dac chip. And it is the analog circuit that differs the most between equipment. I would not expect the television to contain an audiophile quality analog circuit because it does not add value to the TV for the typical purchaser.

Well I must just be lucky then because the dacs in 3 of my under $1,000 TV's all sound fantastic ,matter of fact in the system I'm building now I ran Optical out to my McIntosh DAC and heard zero difference between the McIntosh DAC and the tv DAC ,I only left it optical for convience of 1 less cable ,the RCA outs are how the average home theater crowd hooks up their TV's .

Back
Top Bottom