Gear rack/stands

IME not one single person who has placed speakers on a stand the gets the tweeters to the proper height has ever gone back to them sitting on the floor.

I'm totally with that I used to stack them with my Dynacos to get more elevation. But it's not really a stable setup especially with a kiddo getting more mobile which is another can of worms I'll have to work through. Just one of those situations were I'm gonna have to live with it until I can find a stand setup that's right along with having the space for better placement. Until then I kind of have to be satisfied with what I have to work with which isn't ideal but it's not necessarily terrible.

We all have to make do with whatever we have. I'm just passing on what I've learned.

BTW: Cinder blocks make excellent speaker stands. Tightly wrap them with Black trash bags and they're not so visually "agricultural" in their appearance.

Oh, they're very inexpensive.:D

We all have to make do with whatever we have. I'm just passing on what I've learned.

BTW: Cinder blocks make excellent speaker stands. Tightly wrap them with Black trash bags and they're not so visually "agricultural" in their appearance.

Oh, they're very inexpensive.:D

Ha yeah I've thought about using C tables. I wish there were more stand options available that use a decent clamping mechanism.

Edit: We need better audio accessory companies. Also ones that offer designs that aren't necessarily industrial chic.

Last edited:
There's no need to clamp speakers to stands. Their weight is more than adequate. Place a dab of Bluetak in each corner between the stands and the speakers.

Found a new home for my gear. It was the right size had sliding doors the left door is glass to show the gear off and the right side is big enough to hold records and fit my reel to reel. Plus the silver accents go perfectly with the silver faced gear. Got an incredible deal for it weighs a ton though. I'll probably take some better pictures when I've got some daylight.

View attachment 1294154 View attachment 1294155

Edit: a couple more pictures in better light.
View attachment 1294788 View attachment 1294789

Very nice! Is that cabinet new or vintage?

55F4C420-22EE-435C-A257-2270B08C30A0.jpeg
I was blessed to find this rack at a local consignment store for $25. It was like new. A week after I bought the rack, an even bigger blessing, a mint Fisher RS-Z1 on eBay found me and a new home.

Attachments

• CEFFBC54-7AE3-4DCD-8225-C054EF8959B1.jpeg
    CEFFBC54-7AE3-4DCD-8225-C054EF8959B1.jpeg
    25.4 KB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I have my gear spread out on a 7 foot long, rosewood buffet. It's a Danish style piece, so the top overhangs at each end by 16", so the body is only about 5 1/2 feet.
The lateral layout makes for easy access, tho wiring is a bit of a challenge. But it usually is in most setups.
My room is 15 feet wide, so there's enuf sace for it on the side wall.

Dave

I had a spare shelf in my Rack. So I put My canon Printer in the space as its wi fi enabled i thought it was a pretty nifty idea of mine :)

Attachments

• P1020950.JPG
    P1020950.JPG
    62 KB · Views: 112
Now you can tell your friends that don't know much about stereo gear that you bought that especially for the "1812 Overture"! :)

Just a cheap end table but with the bottom crosspiece removed a sub fit's underneath. The drawer holds everything from tubes to sound meters.

Attachments

• P1010036.jpg
    P1010036.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 101
I bought a single Wharfedale W70d speaker, just for the grill. The baffle was butchered and none of the original drivers were in place. So I repurposed it. This pic was early on, now it holds my 10" reels and Akai R2R deck.

Attachments

• StereoStand.jpg
    StereoStand.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 86
I loyal to VTI racks after having bought 3 racks and 4 amp stands 15 years ago and they look nearly as good as the 2 racks and 2 amp stands I just ordered for the 2 channel room under construction ,for the money and beauty it's hard to beat a VTI rack ,I fill my legs with lead shot .
My racks are cherry shelves ,black stands with gold spikes and they look fantastic ,for $149 you won't find a better or more flexible rack .
4868e478-1693-44ee-9262-7f204f79f7ae_1.a3226b0e6b8af88d939c69a4aa530a36.jpeg s

Picked this one up at COSTCO. I was tired of looking and this works...for now. Very sturdy & heavy..weighs 125 LBS. MDF but doesn't feel it.

index.php
HaHa!! Hey, in looking at rack and stand ideas for my projects, I found a pic of your stuff before you added the Amazon end tables for the speakers! Funny!

I have used those L-shaped stackable danish style shelves you can stack. You can see part of one set in the pic on the left. I may use some of those still but am looking to clean things up and make them lower, so may look for a similar looking, clean lines, Danish sort of unit. Or Ikea or something. Saw some options on Amazon too. As I said, looking to keep it simple.

Back
Top Bottom