AirPlay Is Finally Catching Up to Chromecast

I have been hoping someone would come out with a service that sold discounted digital songs and albums of the lesser know artists. I purchased 90% of my my collection from clearance bins when record stores were still around or Used and never saw a reason to use Apple because they do not believe in supply and demand. That whole .99cents a song no matter what just doesnt fly here.

Apple has never been concerned about market share and Airplay has been around longer than chromecast. it's nice to airplay your data to other devices, but a lot of apple users are airplaying to other apple devices. also i have iphone, macbook, and apple tv, yet i rarely use airplay since i have a headless mac as a music server.

So, with all these TV manufacturers signing on does that mean my 1.5 year old smart LG will be able to update this?

Apple Music on Echos, Airplay on Sonos... What's becoming of Apple's walled garden? Lol. It's all for the good.

https://www.fool.com/investing/2019/02/04/airplay-is-finally-catching-up-to-chromecast.aspx
As the article mentioned, there isn't much that Chromecast has over Airplay for audio since it has been on third party devices for a long time. Personally, I think Casting is on a lot less components than Airplay, but it is cheap enough to add later if you have an HDMI input on that component. The main issue with Casting for iOS users is that it is limited to certain apps rather than every app. This is a big disadvantage for Apple Music users.

Adding Airplay to TVs will be a nice feature, though. It will allow people to access their iTunes Movie library on a phone and send it up to the TV. Personally, I can't remember the last time I used Airplay for video,but I do like the direction that Apple is going...especially the addition of Apple Music on the Echo devices.

Airplay is dead as Apple pulled off all the engineers working and coding for airport/airplay so they can work on the iPhone. This was done a while ago.

https://9to5mac.com/2018/04/26/apple-airport-cancellation/
No, this is incorrect. Airplay (1 & 2) is alive and well. Airplay 2 is built into AppleTV 4 and HomePods. They have already licensed Airplay 2 to numerous third party companies. Airplay2 is backward compatible with Airplay, so you do not lose any of the old Airplay features on older Airplay devices.

They quit making the AirPort Express, AirPort Extreme, and both models of AirPort Time Capsule, though the later version of the Airport Express was recently updated to work with Airplay 2 (which is more robust that Airplay).

Your post would be the same as me saying Casting is dead because they no longer make Chromecast Audio. No, Casting is also alive and well.

Sad for audio hobbyists that both the Airport Express and Chromecast Audio have been killed off, but I suppose both companies want to concentrate on higher margin devices, like their speakers...

You are missing the point. Air Play2 is the LAST version they are coming out with. Apple has to protect their big cash cow, the iPhone. The rest are just extras. They are not doing anything more with Air Play 2.

This is completely false, and airplay IS the standard on iOS devices including MacOS devices. They are slowly building growth away from iphone. They know and understand that the iphone growth is slowing and will keep slowing, while service and subscription is growing. AP2 builds into the services business. If Apple were "protecting it's cash cow" the last thing they would do is kill AP and they would have NEVER allowed Apple Music on Amazon Echo devices, since they have the HomePod.

So what are they going to do when they rip out airplay support from all apple devices and kill off the 3rd party stuff they just announced next year? And if you're proposing a trick question, what will be the next version of AP2 if it won't be called that?

Back
Top Bottom