The way it used to be...

For a while, back in around 1960-ish, we lived in an old turn-of-the-century 4-family house, which was heated by ancient coal-burning furnaces (which had been encased in a 3-inch thick coating of asbestos :eek:). As a young teenager, part of my daily duties was to tend to the furnace, which needed attention about 4 times a day.
First thing in the morning, I would have to start by "shaking down the coals"....in the bottom of the furnace were two heavy metal grates, onto which the burning coals fell.

As the hot coals cooled, they would turn to ash, and you had to stick a heavy steel crank handle onto a square bolt on the front of the furnace, and work it back and forth, left to right, in a vigorous motion. This action rotated those 2 grates a bit, allowing the ashes to fall through into a collection box, where they had to be shoveled out into a metal bucket, to be dumped in a certain area of the back yard.

At this point, a few more shovelfuls of coal would be added to the furnace, and the draft flapper adjusted to allow more air to enter, raising the heat level.

Before bed, I would shake down the ashes once more, load up the burner with enough coal to last the night, then "bank the fire", i.e., set the draft to slow the fire down. (Coal was expensive, around $18 a ton :) )

Gas_Station_1930s.jpg

Riding in the cavernous back seat of Joey Eimont`s father`s `57 Mercury Turnpike Cruiser, with the ultra-cool "Breezeway" rear windshield which retracted down into the trunk. That car was loaded with all sorts of interesting stuff....

Wow....flashback time....I had a 9' 6" Hobie Noserider back in those days. Today`s kids probably wouldn`t even know what that is....
The kids still ride boards like the Hobie Noserider and the Dewey Weber Performer, with style I may add.
Dewey himself, as he used to be, rip(no pun)
aHR0cHM6Ly9jZG4uc3VyZmVyLmNvbS91cGxvYWRzLzIwMTcvMDIvRGV3ZXlXZWJlcl82Nl9HcmFubmlzLmpwZw==

Ever wonder why time tends to speed up as you grew older?

Well, years ago an elderly soldier of WWI sat me down and explained why/how time seems to speed up or shrink. Grab a pencil/pen and follow what he told me to do. These were his words, not mine. First, draw a circle, doesn't have to be perfect. Life isn't either. That circle, and the distance around it, is the life span on a one year old. This is a visual demo, right? Now bisect this circle into two haves.

Got it? Now the distance around each half is that of a two year old. Again, equally disect the circle into four quarters. Notice the distance around each quarter, and you already know these distances of the quarters are that of a four year old. Once more disect the quarter slices into eights (eight year olds), then carefully now into sixteenths. If you can once more divide them into thirty seconds. If the initial circle was big enough, you might have made it to the sixty fourths, which is now the year span of a sixty four year old person, and the distances now have gotten mighty short...as is for the year of this person, it seems to them.

Remember when eight years old? Christmases seemed years apart, yet to the sixty four year old, it just was just the other month...or seemed like it. Think back to the thicker slices of time vs the really thin ones.

There! You don't need an astrophysicist to explain Quantum Mechanics to explain how time seems to shorten as you grow older. It just takes the musings an old soldier to do it.

I was just the messenger.

Q

Last edited:
Ever wonder why time tends to speed up as you grew older?

Well, years ago an elderly soldier soldier of WWI sat me down and explained why/how time seems to speed up or shrink. Grab a pencil/pen and follow what he told me to do. These were his words, not mine. First, draw a circle, doesn't have to be perfect. Life isn't either. That circle, and the distance around it, is the life span on a one year old. This is a visual demo, right? Now bisect this circle into two haves.

Got it? Now the distance around each half is that of a two year old. Again, equally disect the circle into four quarters. Notice the distance around each quarter, and you already know these distances of the quarters are that of a four year old. Once more disect the quarter slices into eights (eight year olds), then carefully now into sixteenths. If you can once more divide them into thirty seconds. If the initial circle was big enough, you might have made it to the sixty fourths, which is now the year span of a sixty four year old person, and the distances now have gotten mighty short...as is for the year of this person, it seems to them.

Remember when eight years old? Christmases seemed years apart, yet to the sixty four year old, it just was just the other month...or seemed like it.

There! You don't need an astrophysicist to explain Quantum Mechanics to explain how time seems to shorten as you grow older. It just takes the musings an old soldier to do it.

I was just the messenger.

Q
Calanders used to last at least a whole year, a looong time. Now they shed like cats, and last what seems maybe a month.

Did you do the soldier's circle? To think about it is one thing. To see in diagram format is yet another.

Just curious.

Q
Yes, in my head. Interesting method to illustrate the phenomenon.
Also depressing to think the next ten years will go even quicker than the last.

Perhaps I’m wrong, maybe when I was younger, I just wasn’t as aware...

I miss a more honest world. A world that I didn’t always have my guard up.

A world where I wasn’t constantly trying to figure out the scam that was just proposed to me.

A world that didn’t crown the scammers and hustlers and cons with the moniker of “good businessmen” and exonerate their lies because it made them rich.

A world where greed was not good.

Am I naive?

Wow how ironic I just got done saying in another post how I am so sick of this timeline we are living today..

I grew up in a neighborhood where everyone had a dirt bike. After school, the race was on in the back forty. Ranched didn't mind, his son also had a dirtbike. Nobody's parents complained. Good old honest fun. Went through lots of tires and lots of thread.

Back
Top Bottom