David Heath

Hello , all . I am new to this forum ,site , and Vintage AUDIO. I bought a new 2285B receiver ect not long after I graduated High School in 1976. I got one of the first production units as I had it before the end of the first semester , of Jr College. But back in now a d my son bought me a somewhat_ Functioing 2270 for Christmas. THE 2270 is a completely different story , but while I was waiting on parts for it, I decided to look for a 2285B . On Ebay , what I wound up with is a 2285BD. It is Nice , really nice ! CLEAN , tone boards , phono boards , Amp Perfect!! BUT the AM radio , Fm 25us , had problems,,and the stereo Lamp was inop. After a fairly intense internet search & checking with Marantz.com I realized that no easily accessibly site had service manuals or schematics for it , the 2285BD. After a quick look at Vintage Audio Site forums , I was like like most of the opinions posted and assumed that it was a close knockoff to and I would be able to use a 2285B and take care oF it.
HOW WRONG ALL OF US ARE!!!!!!!!!
I was grateful to find and obtain access to Audiokarma.org!! After downloading service manuals of all the equipment manufactured between.1975 and 1985 The closest boards and amps are the 2330B . The AM / FMBoards for all that era are close , probably the same basic components for the 4 IC dual receiver single boards . BUT LAYOUT, LABELING, AND AMOUNT OF FILTERING ARE DIFFERENT AS PRICE AND POWER OUT INCREASE. If anyone has the right service manual , and or schematic PLEASE HELP!!!!

Hi David and welcome to AK!

I have found that the 2285B P200 board has 2 or 3 major variations from the schematic along with it's associated wiring to the front panel boards and switches..

All is not lost though because several of the variations are exactly the same as the P200 board in the 2330B schematic.

You just have to cross compare them.

Post a few pics of your board if you can.

Bob

Wilco when I am back there . IT IS LAID OUT LIKE THE 2330B but the labeling definately isnt the same. There is No J001 or J007 quad out jack on the chassis. I will need to add one for digital decode access ?

Without measuring power / voltage to finals, ect and just listening based on what I remember about my original 2285B , and how this amp sounds at quarter volume and a slither higher , I am guessing this amp is built with more power out that a 2285B ? If anyone know the published rating for a 2285BD , Im definately interested ?

Without measuring power / voltage to finals, ect and just listening based on what I remember about my original 2285B , and how this amp sounds at quarter volume and a slither higher , I am guessing this amp is built with more power out that a 2285B ? If anyone know the published rating for a 2285BD , Im definately interested ?

Same power and THD as the other 2285 models.

yes Paul, It does have the dolby plugin receptacle and The Transformer Primary selectable plug. There is NO FM Quad detector jack either. . Thanks for everyone's help. also BRYAN 12V ,,, IS THAT A FACT
FOR THE AMP SPECS OR AN ,assumption ,, OR GUESS? Since I don't have access too any valid data to that unit,, I am relying on you good people who do. Thanks again

The dolby plugin receptacle is mounted on the rear but at the least the FM receiver board is NOT the same as the 2285B . I suppose if no one here has a correct drawing for a 2285BD ,, they do NOT exist. I have tried other sites, D and M parts , and Marantz directly and no one has been able to help. Most " experts " like to guess, declare incorrect information, and a few honestly admit they don't know, but correct information and schematics apparently do not exist. I was willing to pay for the correct Service manual or schematic, but that HASNT HELPED EITHER. . I suppose I will have to create he drawing from what is actually here. It sure is a lot of work , I prefer not to do. I may look for another receiver that's more common , and possibly working? maybe someone can help with that ??

As mentioned for the P200 board, see the 2330B schematic. It's the same. The 2285B diagram is an error in the manual.

Thanks to all who have replied ,,,,, I have been bitten real bad , have nearly finished overhauling the 2270 , and it is awesome and kicking , New acquisition:: 2285B advertised as working and tested ,, in the wood case and a 2330B advertised as recapped and new LED's both in transit !!! How can I get the analog audio from a 5.1 surround sound to input into the amps ? Is an economical HDMI in with the analog outs available?

Back
Top Bottom