Are there audible differences between different models?

Oh man. Do have them all hooked up? What I need is a switchboard that allows me to flip from one receiver to the next. Then I can have a legit working receiver stack.

I don’t think SaturationPT is knocking or flaming Pioneer, quite the contrary. He did say he is a collector and collecting doesn’t necessarily mean listening to them. I can relate as I have some cars that I have sat on for 20+ years that barely get any road time and that the new cars knocks the performance off of my old classic yet somehow I adore and love staring at my garage queen. SatPT is likely in that same boat with Pio gear. He’s been there done that and have played with lots of gear and he’s likely inferring that a box full of transistors is saying that they’re all the same to him in that they’re receivers and what model is better than the next is hard to quantify but that they have a common sound which is solid state sounding.

^^ that

So , the hi end integrateds along with most of the sx series are below par for you? And they’re really nothing but a box of transistors and metal ? I get that you’ve moved on , but to flame a company like Pioneer over much of their product line is just wrong . I have a few of what you mention and none of them fail the sound test . The 850 is no slouch either and mine is comparable to both of my 1010’s . The 850 in my house is an electrical masterpiece .

And if you don’t care and have no intention of listening to it , why look for another 1250 ?

No flame meant at all.

Not below par, just that I like looking at them more than listening to them. Much like your photo, I have some things that I have moved toward for everyday music, others that I simply can't let go because they make me smile walking into the room and seeing their smiling faces, knowing that they're perfect and ready for use whenever. You can't possibly be listening to all of your gear at once, and I'm willing to bet that there are some that get no play-time at all (or they won't when your back gets tired). My SX-1010 has been on the bench for months, an MC2105 was there for months before that, I have a couple of stacks of "special" amps and such that need to be gone through as well as some speakers. I have become more selective and need to have a particular use or reason before I add new gear.

The short version is that I've swapped so many RCA/XLR/Speaker cables and slid so many heavy amps and receivers in and out of spaces they barely fit, in many cases risking their gorgeous wood and metal cabinets, I'm (mostly) finished with the exercise. My back doesn't like it, and I'm very happy with what I'm hearing. Even the MC240 in my avatar sits under a custom-made display cover, love how it sounds but I'm not currently using it. When the kids move out maybe I'll have more space and one of those cool switchers that they had at the Stereo shop when I was a teen, then I can use them all.

If / when I find an SX-1250 in excellent cosmetic condition I will have one again. I don't need the power, but it's a great piece of engineering and styling, wrapped together in a package that to me embodies the best example of Japanese stereo for its era. Some might prefer a Marantz 2600 for example, or the SX-1980, Onkyo 8500 ii, plenty of great gear out there if you can find and afford it but I just don't have the space or budget for all of it. Starting to look more like boxes full of parts unless I can connect with it either visually or sonically.

My Father-in-law was a Gynecologist, I'd imagine that by retirement he felt the same about dating.

Yes , like you , I find rotation a chore . And it can be a year before each one gets heard . That stack photo was taken at a fellow AK’er’s home . I bought em all over . I have em scattered in the living / dining / bedroom and they are there to admire even when off . I have an Onkyo TX 6500 mk ll that I’ve held onto just for its looks. Yet I know it’s a solid piece .
I enjoy owning them . Although I will say one 1010 would leave if I could find someone to buy it. Don’t need 2.

Oh . And when my son moved out , his bedroom became a nice listening and admiration room . Sometimes I’ll just go in there to look . And be grateful .

more money = better design + better parts = better sound.
newer designs = higher tech + more advanced testing + more modern components = more money (and hopefully better sound)

(assUming of course they did it right) <G>

The obligatory trade off ...

older designs = potential for diy fixes and restorations
newer designs = probability of break em and toss em builds more times than not

Here a picture of part of my collection. Far left is my newly acquired SX-950, to the right of it that brown/black color box that is obscure looking is a 1976 Technics SU-8080 integrated amp, the center is my restored SX-1050 and to the right of it is my father’s minty and apparently quite rare TOTL Sony STR-7800SD receiver.

Nice stuff. I went thru that whole process selecting equipment years ago and finally stumbled across the perfect combination and locked the system down, more or less. Even with that, I'll update to some newer tech (or older tech like tubes if it's appropriate) but the core system has stayed the same for decades now. Helps that I DIY restorations and such and have been able to keep all the older stuff going and me happy.

PS ... contrary to what the tags on the chair say, you ARE allowed to remove them ... <G>

I'm considering cantilevered shelves on the wall to display some of my favorites. The biggest problem I have with the big receivers (other than the weight) is their 20"+ width doesn't fit most of the furniture I own. This is one reason I resisted going back to tube amps also, need to be on top of things and can't happily reside in cabinets. I've seen photos of people's gear in tall stacks also, just can't do that and feel good about the wood cabinets I guess.

SX-950 / SX-850
C5AB4ADC-545C-4C83-96FD-3D796DDD30EE.jpeg

SX-1250
IMG_1871.JPG

Tower with the SX-750 on Top
IMG_1873.JPG

SX-727
C8F8257A-8D18-4AAC-84A1-1729CC04C30D.jpeg

All the units sound very good to me? Some a bit better than others = but all very enjoyable.

Yes , 2.
A sx 535, 636 , 737 an 828 and a 990 .

I’ve just started a new thread seeking advice on buying my first vintage Pioneer receiver (needs to be silver face and blue lighting or backlight). Of those above is there much difference sound quality wise? In the UK there is quite a price difference between the 6xx ro 8xx and 9xx series. If there isn’t a huge amount in it sound wise (and it is to be used as an occasional system with a reel to reel and for radio) I would go all the way down to 5 or 6 series...

I have only heard the 737 of this bunch and feel it is a nice unit, not able to compare.

I'm sure you're aware of the different power ratings, but depending on your needs for the radio you might be comparing the tuner sections between these as much as the amplifier / preamp, some have better / more sensitive tuners.

Thanks. Yes good point re tuner.....

I understand the power bit and everything I read suggests that the Pioneer receivers have ‘decent’ watts that will perform with easily with the sorts of speakers I use.

I have owned Pioneer TX-8500 tuners though and anything close to that performance will do me! Those analogue tuners sound better than the TX-D1000 I have currently (and will be selling)

I’ve just started a new thread seeking advice on buying my first vintage Pioneer receiver (needs to be silver face and blue lighting or backlight). Of those above is there much difference sound quality wise? In the UK there is quite a price difference between the 6xx ro 8xx and 9xx series. If there isn’t a huge amount in it sound wise (and it is to be used as an occasional system with a reel to reel and for radio) I would go all the way down to 5 or 6 series...
If there really wasn't much difference between the performance of these models, then there wouldn't be much difference in price.

There isn't anything stopping you from buying one of each of the models that catch your attention the most considering that they are all available. That's the way to go honestly. This will satisfy the current needs and future needs. Plus, another fun part of this hobby is changing it up from time to time. If you have multiples, you will be able to rotate, changing which receiver is in use with the speakers of choice. This is the only real way to enjoy each model.

I do this with pioneer sx1250, sansui z9000, sansui 9090db and onkyo tx8500. Being stuck with only one would be boring.

My ears like the X3X series. I've owned X80 and X50 but i prefer the X3X and would describe the sound as warmer - more pronounced low end. Nice black dial with blue lights that LEDs can really make pop. No goofy speaker connectors and nice 4 gang tuners. This would include the 1010 from that series.

Last edited:
The are definitely difference between series.
I am running an SX-636 to stand in for my SX-950, which was kick off into protection.
Both are recapped.
The 636 needs two clicks clockwise on the treble knob to make it sound comparable.
Low frequency strengths are comparable.

I like both.

I’ve just started a new thread seeking advice on buying my first vintage Pioneer receiver (needs to be silver face and blue lighting or backlight)

Another consideration...

Blue lights can be had to backlight / light any of the older pioneer receivers. So, no reason to seek out a receiver already has that....it can be added.

I’m happy to get a model like a 750 to 950 and add blue LEDs. Are the tuner sections on this range more like the quality of the TX 8500 type tuners? Or are the tuner sections (sound quality wise) as good with something like a 737?

Back
Top Bottom