Sony CDP-X55ES Pics

I've just inherited this player from a relative and was wandering if this player be modded to keep up with the current crop of players? This player would make an excellent transport but not sure about the old D/A's, caps etc since it was built back in the early 90's.

I guess another way to do it is to just use the optical out into an external dac?

cheers

Sure don't. Was messing in the insides of my CDP-X777ES to dust and clean a bit just a few days ago. Keeps amazing me with its build quality, and the massive overengineering on everything. Power supply section in that thing wouldn't look bad in any amp actually...

Shogo: I still enjoy the sound of my x777es and x555es without feeling the need for an external dac, but indeed the way to do it is feed the optical out into an external dac.

I've had the Sony CDP-X559ES, which looks a lot like the X55ES which started this thread:

25554490.jpg

I've used it with a PS Audio dac, but the difference was very, very small. So the Sony is pretty good on it's own.

Is there away to splice a coaxial jack in parallel with the optical output Toslink on the X55ES?
Have the Sony ES preamp TA-E77ESD and would like to hook the two together using the digital inputs but sadly they don't match. The preamp is coaxial input.
Have looked at the small boxes one can get off eBay etc but just having a coaxial out the back of the cd player seems nicer
Have considered using the board from the eBay Toslink/Coaxial converters and integrating it into the cd player using the players power source and extending the output coaxial side to the cd players chassis
thanks
Keith
Nova Scotia

Attachments

• the compendium's 014.jpg
    the compendium's 014.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 25
  • e (1).jpg
    e (1).jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 26
  • c (1).jpg
    c (1).jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 26
  • the compendium's 004 (2).jpg
    the compendium's 004 (2).jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 27
  • digital_connection.jpg
    digital_connection.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 25
  • 3006_1.gif
    3006_1.gif
    44.2 KB · Views: 26
solution

Found a very easy way to deal with the issue from speaking with Lukasz of LampizatOr
Since there's already is a Toslink output jack that signal is the same as used by a coaxial output S/PDIF so you can take the signal coming into the Toslink and splice a new connection to a newly mounted coaxial jack.
There will be three wires coming into the Toslink output jack. The ground wire a 5volt power supply and the S/PDIF wire . You splice into the S/PDIF wire.
You also need to add two resistors and a capacitor. Made a drawing to show how it can be done.
Regards Keith Haill

Attachments

• Coaxial_jack_wiring.jpg
    Coaxial_jack_wiring.jpg
    38.7 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
Is there away to splice a coaxial jack in parallel with the optical output Toslink on the X55ES?
Have the Sony ES preamp TA-E77ESD and would like to hook the two together using the digital inputs but sadly they don't match. The preamp is coaxial input.
Have looked at the small boxes one can get off eBay etc but just having a coaxial out the back of the cd player seems nicer
Have considered using the board from the eBay Toslink/Coaxial converters and integrating it into the cd player using the players power source and extending the output coaxial side to the cd players chassis
thanks
Keith
Nova Scotia

solution

Found a very easy way to deal with the issue from speaking with Lukasz of LampizatOr
Since there's already is a Toslink output jack that signal is the same as used by a coaxial output S/PDIF so you can take the signal coming into the Toslink and splice a new connection to a newly mounted coaxial jack.
There will be three wires coming into the Toslink output jack. The ground wire a 5volt power supply and the S/PDIF wire . You splice into the S/PDIF wire.
You also need to add two resistors and a capacitor. Made a drawing to show how it can be done.
Regards Keith Haill

Old thread but I have both of these units and want to add coax out to the X55ES. What I am wondering is if both the optical and coax function when doing this, or is the coax out replacing the optical? I've ordered the components already but don't want to screw anything up when I install them...

I know this is an old thread, but, has anyone tried to retrofit an X55ES laser to a X77ES CDP? I know I may be grasping at straws, but there has to be a solution to the NLA laser dilema for Sony's 7 series machines...

BTW I bought a X55ES back in 1990 and loved it! I should have kept it.

It would be terrific if there could be an answer to this question (replacement lasers for Sony ES cd players). I have a perfect condition X7ES that has a worn out laser (along with a failing digital display). Luckily, I found another X7 which I use daily. I would love to repair the original X7 and put it back in service. In the meantime, it just sits on a shelf in the basement, where it has been for years.

Old thread but I have both of these units and want to add coax out to the X55ES. What I am wondering is if both the optical and coax function when doing this, or is the coax out replacing the optical? I've ordered the components already but don't want to screw anything up when I install them...

I noticed the original question about this asks how to do this in parallel, so I assume that means both will work. (I suppose getting into specifics about a mod took this thread off topic, but I will post pics after I do this and get it on track!)

solution

Regards Keith Haill

Well, I gave this a try. (I had to repair the optical connector anyway, so figured I'd give this a go.) I used the exact components from the drawing. I just soldered the capacitor to the data pin on the Toslink connector. (Had to put in two short jumper wires as the circuit board pin holes ripped out when the connector was damaged.) Tested optical and coax out before drilling anything, they both worked! (A 7/8" (22mm) hole drill bit was the right size for the Amphenol RCA jack.)

One thing I didn't do was go back and check analog out before I drilled the holes. It's not working. I'm getting faint audio from both headphone and line out (fixed and variable) at max volume. I disconnected the coax and put it back to stock, that didn't help the analog. I looked over all circuit boards with a magnifying glass, nothing obviously wrong.

I sure could use some advice for things to check to narrow down the analog out problem. Thanks in advance for any help!

Here are some pictures, had remember how to embed from Google Drive so that was an adventure...

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

uc

Back
Top Bottom