Todays METAL playlist

Apart from Paranoid, my first real exposure to Sabbath was H&H, with Neon Knights being the first track I heard.

My uncle who got me into rock and metal was a big Rainbow fan, so when H&H was released it was played to death, and as a 10 year old, I was a pure sponge.

Dio, and this album have always stuck with me. I admit that I have never really listened to much of pre-H&H Sabbath apart from the truly well known tracks.

Anyway, keeping DIO alive, it's time for Holy Diver. Sure, some Sabbath inspired tracks, but the guitar work is a lot more rock focused, and of course the keyboards lighten things a little.

Such a great 'debut' album, and another that never sounds old.

wrlnHSD.jpg

My favorite run of albums is Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules and Holy Diver. I like to look at artist's trilogies and those three albums are about as good as it gets.

Last edited:
IMO THE best Sabbath album ever. There's not a naff song to be heard anywhere! And a real precursor intro to what DIO's solo career would sound like.

OfxIsbK.jpg

A true classic!

Certainly is a classic and the best representative of The Dio Era.

Still, for me the greatest Sabbath LPs will always be Master Of Reality (1971) and Volume IV (1972). Maybe, if for no other reason, than Sabbath in '72 was one of my first "big" concerts. In any event I can listen to these two LPs weekly and not grow weary of either. Also love the two that followed, i.e., Sabbath Bloody Sabbath (1973) and Sabotage (1975).

In addition to Heaven And Hell (1980), the next LP w/ Dio, ie, Mob Rules (1981) is also quite good.

My favorite run of albums is Heaven and Hell, Mob Rules and Holy Diver. I like to look at artist's trilogies and those three albums are about as good as it gets.

Re: Dio (the band), for me it's about a toss-up b/w the debut, ie, Holy Diver (1983), and the next release, ie, The Last In Line (1984). Both albums have terrific title tracks and 3-4 additionally cool numbers. A tough call pour moi.

Apart from Paranoid, my first real exposure to Sabbath was H&H, with Neon Knights being the first track I heard.

My uncle who got me into rock and metal was a big Rainbow fan, so when H&H was released it was played to death, and as a 10 year old, I was a pure sponge.

Dio, and this album have always stuck with me. I admit that I have never really listened to much of pre-H&H Sabbath apart from the truly well known tracks.

Anyway, keeping DIO alive, it's time for Holy Diver. Sure, some Sabbath inspired tracks, but the guitar work is a lot more rock focused, and of course the keyboards lighten things a little.

Such a great 'debut' album, and another that never sounds old.

wrlnHSD.jpg

Tony, Geezer, Vinny, and Ronnie J. also did a formidable job in the reformed "all but in name Black Sabbath" of the outfit they called Heaven & Hell, active from around 2006-2009. H&H (the band) had planned a 2010 release but, as we all sadly recall, Ronnie didn't make it, and he died during the spring of 2010. I still can remember that sorrowful day. <tears>

This looks so cool. I've read about pre Hawaii/Vixen but never knew there were any recordings.
BTW, I've apparently been living under a rock.
I guess so :whip:
The original is a 12" EP from Azra, picked that up for $2 long ago. The material that I love is Deuce! One song on this new lp is a Vixen demo version of an older Deuce track.

I guess so :whip:
The original is a 12" EP from Azra, picked that up for $2 long ago. The material that I love is Deuce! One song on this new lp is a Vixen demo version of an older Deuce track.
Deuce was a great band. Used to see them play all the time in the club's of D.C. and Baltimore. Marty was long gone by then though, replaced by Timmy Meadows.

IMO THE best Sabbath album ever. There's not a naff song to be heard anywhere! And a real precursor intro to what DIO's solo career would sound like.

OfxIsbK.jpg

A true classic!
A great Iommi/Sabbath album yes, but many would argue that it isn't really Sabbath at all without the original lineup. I'm probably amongst that crowd.
For me, the greatest Black Sabbath album is Paranoid. It's shocking how that album nudges out everything else in their catalog. Song after song defines Black Sabbath.
Hate the album cover, I think it's stupid. But the inner gatefold more than makes up for it.
004.jpg

002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom