What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

From articles I've read over the years it's recommended that to get the most from high-power amps they should be plugged directly into a wall socket and not a power strip.

I plan to replace the power strip with a switched outlet in a box, but need to made a trip to the local home improvement store before that can happen. My wall voltage averages about 123 volts, which is too high for gear from 1959, in my opinion. The power substation down the block ensures that my line experiences significant voltage swings each day, so a bucking transformer arrangement wouldn't be ideal. I'd like the PTs and OPTs to last as long as possible. I suppose 30 WPC is high-powered in that context. :D

Last edited:
Monday morning driving soundtrack
Iron-Eagle-OST.jpg

Tape Head Alert:
To those that still use the cassette/reel analog magnetic tape medium to record. You don't have to buy NOS (new old stock) of Maxell/TDK at ridiculous pricing via e-bay. I have spoke of 2 sources and just found a 3rd.

NAC: National Audio Company has BASF Chrome Type II packaged in their 799 Studio Master series . They also just released their Type I 456 tape that they have worked on for years. NAC is now the ONLY company in America producing Cassette tape. This type I is said to blow away ANY previous Type I and surpasses most Type II's. They boast it is the audiophile answer to the cassette world in regards to freshly produced tape stock.

DeltaMedia.com has BASF Chrome Type II packaged in housing but does not supply the case nor J-Card with the tapes. One can get that ala cart on the side pretty cheap. Theirs are only $2.00 per tape due to bare bones.

ATR Magnetics: I have been using ATR Reel Tape (no longer buying NOS of Reel Tape via e-bay anymore) as it is made in Pennsylvania and is top notch blank reel tape. They now also offer Cassette BASF Type II Chrome Tape.

Fellow tape heads , there are still some killer options out there. My personal opinion is I would prefer to buy directly from ATR for reel tape to show support for the medium. They'll stay in business if tape heads buy from them, creating a market. I am no longer going to be held hostage via e-bay sellers to enjoy my recording sessions............ Long live the analog magnetic tape option for music. Disclaimer. I am not affiliated with the above 3 mentioned companies in any way shape or form other than being a fanatically loyal customer to all 3. I buy and keep a very healthy stock of tape that should last me for the next 30 years. I am stocking up just in case they all disappear down the road............ hopefully not for quite a while though. I am stoked about these finds over the last 2 years. I realize with today's technology, most people download to devices via digital. I use Youtube (with paid subscription to avoid commercials) to record full albums to a magnetic tape medium. The recordings come out spectacular and it satisfies the love of the "art of recording" . Something I have done since the late 70's as many posts will attest to . Enjoy the bounty of it all tape heads!
Edit: BASF Chrome Type II is no longer made. However, there were warehouses full of pancake reels left in the 90's with the end of cassette medium that these companies have purchased the pancake reels and are producing Cassettes with this 25 year old tape. However, due to EPA regulations of today, Type II CANNOT be manufactured by ANY company in the USA. Therefore, when this stock of BASF is gone, we will never see "new" type II again probably in our lifetime. Get it now!

NAC
upload_2019-2-11_11-4-53.png

upload_2019-2-11_11-21-48.png

FerroMaster C456™ is a high-performance type 1 cassette tape made in the USA with the finest magnetic recording oxide ever discovered. It delivers the high output and frequency response previously available only in the best type II tapes. Achieve the ultimate in cassette recordings when you use FerroMaster C456™ to record or duplicate on high quality equipment biased for type I tape. Records and plays at normal bias 120 μs EQ.

FerroMaster C456™ features a signal-to-noise ratio (head room) far surpassing any other ferric cassette tape while providing deep, mellow bass, warm mid-range, and crystal clear high frequencies. It is designed to be recorded at very high levels.

The length of the tape refers to the total recordable time on both sides of the tape. For instance, a C-60 cassette has 30 minutes of recording time on each side.

Delta Media

upload_2019-2-11_11-5-53.png

ATR Magnetics

upload_2019-2-11_11-6-48.png

upload_2019-2-11_11-8-0.png

Attachments

• upload_2019-2-11_11-6-12.png
    upload_2019-2-11_11-6-12.png
    218.9 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Tape Head Alert:
To those that still use the cassette/reel analog magnetic tape medium to record. You don't have to buy NOS (new old stock) of Maxell/TDK at ridiculous pricing via e-bay. I have spoke of 2 sources and just found a 3rd.

NAC: National Audio Company has BASF Chrome Type II packaged in their 799 Studio Master series . They also just released their Type I 456 tape that they have worked on for years. NAC is now the ONLY company in America producing Cassette tape. This type I is said to blow away ANY previous Type I and surpasses most Type II's. They boast it is the audiophile answer to the cassette world in regards to freshly produced tape stock.

DeltaMedia.com has BASF Chrome Type II packaged in housing but does not supply the case nor J-Card with the tapes. One can get that ala cart on the side pretty cheap. Theirs are only $2.00 per tape due to bare bones.

ATR Magnetics: I have been using ATR Reel Tape (no longer buying NOS of Reel Tape via e-bay anymore) as it is made in Pennsylvania and is top notch blank reel tape. They now also offer Cassette BASF Type II Chrome Tape.

Fellow tape heads , there are still some killer options out there. My personal opinion is I would prefer to buy directly from ATR for reel tape to show support for the medium. They'll stay in business if tape heads buy from them, creating a market. I am no longer going to be held hostage via e-bay sellers to enjoy my recording sessions............ Love live the analog magnetic tape option for music. Disclaimer. I am not affiliated with the above 3 mentioned companies in any way shape or form other than being a fanatically loyal customer to all 3. I buy and keep a very healthy stock of tape that should last me for the next 30 years. I am stocking up just in case they all disappear down the road............ hopefully not for quite a while though. I am stoked about these finds over the last 2 years. I realize with today's technology, most people download to devices via digital. I use Youtube (with paid subscription to avoid commercials) to record full albums to a magnetic tape medium. The recordings come out spectacular and it satisfies the love of the "art of recording" . Something I have done since the late 70's as many posts will attest to . Enjoy the bounty of it all tape heads!
Edit: BASF Chrome Type II is no longer made. However, there were warehouses full of pancake reels left in the 90's with the end of cassette medium that these companies have purchased the pancake reels and are producing Cassettes with this 25 year old tape. However, due to EPA regulations of today, Type II CANNOT be manufactured by ANY company in the USA. Therefore, when this stock of BASF is gone, we will never see "new" type II again probably in our lifetime. Get it now!

NAC
View attachment 1416701

View attachment 1416715

FerroMaster C456™ is a high-performance type 1 cassette tape made in the USA with the finest magnetic recording oxide ever discovered. It delivers the high output and frequency response previously available only in the best type II tapes. Achieve the ultimate in cassette recordings when you use FerroMaster C456™ to record or duplicate on high quality equipment biased for type I tape. Records and plays at normal bias 120 μs EQ.

FerroMaster C456™ features a signal-to-noise ratio (head room) far surpassing any other ferric cassette tape while providing deep, mellow bass, warm mid-range, and crystal clear high frequencies. It is designed to be recorded at very high levels.

The length of the tape refers to the total recordable time on both sides of the tape. For instance, a C-60 cassette has 30 minutes of recording time on each side.

Delta Media

View attachment 1416702

ATR Magnetics

View attachment 1416704

View attachment 1416705

thanks for posting this!

Thanks Uncle John!
These 2 pics are from yesterday. Snowy was very happy Dr. Taylor authorized the removal of "the cone of silence" on Saturday's follow up visit to the vet. Yet, he is astute enough to know his nose needs protection while cat napping with the other 2 rascals. This is how they spent their Sunday while I was doing chores and listening to FM the majority of the day LOL............

View attachment 1416630 View attachment 1416631
If everyone on this blue marble could get together as these three do we could put the daily news out of business. As far as basic humanity goes. Great pic Encyc!!!

Back
Top Bottom