Silk screen or lettering for an MX-110 and MC240

saabracer23

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
My uncle purchased an MX-110 and MC240 in the early 70s on the used market and brought them home and put them in his closet. His plan was to get them hooked up and enjoy them once he had some time. Well jump 46-47 years later and he may have some time now. He has yet to power them up and he believes he’s only had them out of the closet twice while cleaning.

He’s asked me to do a restoration on them, both cosmetically and electrically. He wants me to be the first to power them up once I get all the caps changed out etc.

One thing holding up the project is that he doesn’t want to start it until he knows that we can repair/replace all of the lettering on the faces. The chrome isn’t in the best of condition and there is a lot of lettering missing, on both units. The glass on the MX-110 looks great.

Are there options?

Dan

I’m restoring a C20 at the moment and have to put all the screen printing back. Whilst I don’t have a solution yet I’m going to head out and see a UV printer once all my panels are done.

As long as you have a flat surface to print on it looks like a viable option and it’s a cured print ink so durable.

I’ll update once I have more info.

The most complicated part is creating the artwork files. Which for me took tens of hours.

Dry-transfer lettering would be my first choice, but there's a similar thread here: http://audiokarma.org/forums/index....on-lettering-on-chassis.856893/#post-12432744

Thanks for the link, the examples in the thread look okay, but I’m thinking something closer to the original look would be better. If it’s an only option then it may work.

I’m restoring a C20 at the moment and have to put all the screen printing back. Whilst I don’t have a solution yet I’m going to head out and see a UV printer once all my panels are done.

As long as you have a flat surface to print on it looks like a viable option and it’s a cured print ink so durable.

I’ll update once I have more info.

The most complicated part is creating the artwork files. Which for me took tens of hours.

Awesome, please do keep me posted. I don’t mind taking the time to make the artwork files.

Radio daze does offer face plate reprinting/rescreening for the mx110z. I intend to have mine rescreened, but don't know how close the reprint is to the original.

http://www.radiodaze.com/mcintosh-mx110z-faceplate-re-lettering-mc-fp-mx110z/

Great, that’s a potential option for the pre. It would be nice if they showed an example faceplate.

Dan

Back
Top Bottom