Rack/Shelf for G-22/33k?

tobyj17

Comfortably Numb
I'm looking for a shelf or rack of sorts for my receiver and turntable. Right now what I have is attached to the wall, and would like something different. Everything I find is either too shallow, not tall enough...etc. If I have to I will make something, but I prefer to buy first. Thanks!

I reckon its going to have to be custom made Toby, I have my G22000 on a desk in my Music Room, and its so deep it takes most of the desk up......I can put the Sub amp and processor next to it and then thats about it.......Desk is full and its a pretty big desk!!
When I had it in the lounge I used to split it in half as it was too deep for every cabinet I had.....

You pretty much need something that's 24" deep and at least 26" wide. It's hard to find something that is aesthetically pleasing that deep so custom may be your only option. I have mine in a wall unit that is 24" deep. The unit is so big it's really overpowering in the room.

- Pete

You pretty much need something that's 24" deep and at least 26" wide. It's hard to find something that is aesthetically pleasing that deep so custom may be your only option. I have mine in a wall unit that is 24" deep. The unit is so big it's really overpowering in the room.

- Pete

I'll bet it looks pretty nice, though.

You can set a G22,000 on a normal sized credenza. Let it hang over a little each way. I keep mine in my office. The wife thinks I'm crazy though.
We have a nice home theater set up in the great room not that far away. She thinks I don't need another set up in my office.
I bought mine new in 1978. It's not going anywhere.

The largest Sansui Rack is the GX-300. A really nice looking TT rack. But only 3 shelves: top TT, amp, and one other item (or 2 stacked), and a bottom shelf for LP storage.

It's made for monster amps of the era. It's big. Don't know the measurements.

But... VERY hard to find. Seen only one, or two, for sale in the last 15 years.

Last edited:
This is from an 2012 post:

GX-300

The largest rack of this style made for the ‘monster amplifiers’, very large and wide shelves. But it's been stated that it will not fit the G-22000.

Specifications (told):
Inches:
Rack: H 40 x W 25.5 x D19.
Shelves: W 25.5 x D19.
W 25.5 x D19.

9.75" between top (TT) shelf second shelf
9" between second shelf and third shelf
14" between third shelf and the bottom (LP) shelf

My G9000DB sits on the third rack of this (not mine, photo found Googling "Maxim Magazine entertainment center"). It's wide enough the unit could be pulled out the front and deep enough it could be pulled out the side.

The only issue is I bought it fifteen years ago and have never seen another. Overall its about mid chest high on my 6'.

Attachments

• 1bcf7b93b0b8456a83185bc38c869927.jpg
    1bcf7b93b0b8456a83185bc38c869927.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 22
Thanks for the input everyone. I did a lot more searching but no luck, unless i want some really ugly industrial shelving. I'm gonna go with a custom shelf, I found some nice 30x60 edge glued 1" thick boards at my local home improvement store today. Pair those (cut down of course) with some 3/4" threaded rod and i should have a pretty nice shelf. Once I get to it i'll definitely post some pictures.

Toby you see this Rack?
It was designed by me when i bought my G22000 on 2006. Sure i didn't have all that amps and things back then , but the large center shelves where intended to House G22K and some other stuff.
G22K was connected as one piece , and it is.

Attachments

• My ht rig 007.JPG
    My ht rig 007.JPG
    69.5 KB · Views: 31
Toby you see this Rack?
It was designed by me when i bought my G22000 on 2006. Sure i didn't have all that amps and things back then , but the large center shelves where intended to House G22K and some other stuff.
G22K was connected as one piece , and it is.
Did you build this yourself?

Constructing your own is the way to go. Much cheaper and you can customize it for your particular components and room. Here are two that I made.

The first one I made many years ago using left-over construction lumber from a home improvement project, so the net cost was zero. Only took a weekend plus a couple of days for the poly applications. For this application, I needed space for a TV, DAC, Amp, CDP, cable box, Playstation, Apple TV and other misc items.

IMG_1661.jpg

The second one I made for my simple office system using Ambrosia Maple, again left-over from another project so the net cost was zero. This one also took a weekend to construct and a couple of extra days for the poly applications.

IMG_1398.jpg

First time I posted pictures, so not sure how they will appear.

Also, with the heft of the big G’s a normal consumer rack may not be up to the task.
A good problem to have!

Back
Top Bottom