The New Wave Of British Heavy Metal

Cloven Hoof -- have we touched on this band's work? Listening to their (I think) debut LP (Neat, UK, 1984). Bit of a cross b/w Thrash & Doom. I like it. Anyone else (Rob, Frank?) familiar with this one?

Cloven Hoof
Cloven Hoof
(Neat, UK, 1984)

* Vinyl rip

View attachment 1413950

I know we've discussed Vardis here, but guys, this is becoming a(nother) favorite "live" album, just a notch under Raven's Live At The Inferno (ie, sonic perfection), bit only by about one notch... Geetar gets some massive tone.

Vardis
100 M.P.H.
(Logo, UK, 1980)

* Vinyl rip

View attachment 1414137

Diamond Dogs popped up on my radar today, never heard of them. This is from the youtube channel of "Obscure Nwobhm Releases" label (I have some of their stuff), this is the more interesting comment to me:
"Full band songs from demo and rehearsals , bio and photos on the "Obscure Nwobhm Demo Series Part I" out soon."

Cloven Hoof -- have we touched on this band's work? Listening to their (I think) debut LP (Neat, UK, 1984). Bit of a cross b/w Thrash & Doom. I like it. Anyone else (Rob, Frank?) familiar with this one?

Cloven Hoof
Cloven Hoof
(Neat, UK, 1984)

* Vinyl rip

View attachment 1413950
Oh, of course I have it :rflmao: Actually the 1st thing I heard from them long time ago, classic stuff for sure. Though I like the EP and demo material prior to it a whole lot more.

Cloven Hoof
Cloven Hoof
(Neat, UK, 1984)

* Vinyl rip

View attachment 1413950
Don't believe we've talked about them yet.

From Wolverhampton, England. Formed in 1979. Their debut album, and the only one that I have was late out of the gate being released in 1984. It's a real gem of NWOBHM. Everything you would want in it's rawness and simple song structures featuring serious riffing and frantic tempo changes. Unfortunately for them it had already been done by everyone else three years earlier.
They exist today. Only the bass player remains from the original lineup, so really, c'mon, that's not Cloven Hoof. He was the principle songwriter on the debut album though so at least Cloven Hoof has that going for them in the 21st Century.
http://www.clovenhoof.net/

Gotta be one of the best album covers to come out of the movement though. Features a nice Neat Silver label.

Cloven Hoof - Self Titled Debut Album
1984 Neat Records NEAT 1013

https://www.discogs.com/Cloven-Hoof-Cloven-Hoof/master/56528
002.jpg

018.jpg

003.jpg

This is a new vinyl version (finally) of a cd that came out some years back, which I have too. They did a better presentation job with this version than the cd. Of course it contains the 2 songs off their utterly fantastic 12" and 7". The musical quality varies, a nice archival release of one of the real greats from the early 80's UK scene.
IMG_1419.JPG
IMG_1421.JPG
IMG_1422.JPG

I have this great show from the legends on an old bootleg 2lp set, here is the first official version, came out very nice, sounds great too.

IMG_1425.JPG IMG_1426.JPG

I have this great show from the legends on an old bootleg 2lp set, here is the first official version, came out very nice, sounds great too.

index.php
Love how High Roller reproduced the look of a Neat Records label. The font is perfect.
Is that their normal lettering style or do they just do it for Neat bands?

Since we're on Venom right now. Don't believe this has been posted.

Their debut album was amazing, but this, their second effort was ground breaking.
The opening track, Black Metal just blew us all out of the water back in '82. There had been power and speed before this album, but nothing like this.

Neat went all out for this one and gave us not only a lyric sheet but a poster as well.

There are an insane number of variations of NEAT 1005. Try collecting all of them.

My battered copy is the black vinyl, green label version. The Neat Records "Thumbs Up" logo is barely discernable. Looks like it's the same for all versions from what I can tell.

The album ends with a sampling of the beginning of the next album, At War With Satan.

Venom - Black Metal
1982 Neat Records NEAT 1005

https://www.discogs.com/Venom-Black-Metal/master/57707
007.jpg

008.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

010.jpg

005.jpg

006.jpg

Last edited:
Love how High Roller reproduced the look of a Neat Records label. The font is perfect.
Is that their normal lettering style or do they just do it for Neat bands?
No, they don't always do that, every label design is different. I actually have not paid attention to whether they did that design on any other release.

New arrivals.

Satan's 2013 comeback album Life Sentence and it's 2015 follow up Atom By Atom.
I've had these albums as digital files for a few years, but finally got around to buying them.
The music and playing are so spot on in matching what they did on their 1983 debut album Court In The Act that you'd think they'd been cryogenically frozen for 30 years, then revived and given a crash course on the state of the world, and then sent straight to the recording studio. They do it all without sounding dated or nostalgic, rather the music sounds fresh and 21st century viable. Guitarists Russ Tippens and Steve Ramsey play with so much speed and precission that they have to be sharing the same brain. Brian Ross's voice has lost none of it's range and still threatens to break all the glass in your room if you give it too much volume. Graeme English and Sean Taylor provide a steady, reliable but innovative rhythm section on bass and drums respectively. The raw and brutal production values are spot on for these homages to early '80's NWOBHM.

011.jpg

Last edited:
New arrivals.

Satan's 2013 comeback album Life Sentence and it's 2015 follow up Atom By Atom.
I've had these albums as digital files for a few years, but finally got around to buying them.
The music and playing are so spot on in matching what they did on their 2013 debut album Court In The Act that you'd think they'd been cryogenically frozen for 30 years, then revived and given a crash course on the state of the world, and then sent straight to the recording studio. They do it all without sounding dated or nostalgic, rather the music sounds fresh and 21st century viable. Guitarists Russ Tippens and Steve Ramsey play with so much speed and precission that they have to be sharing the same brain. Brian Ross's voice has lost none of it's range and still threatens to break all the glass in your room if you give it too much volume. Graeme English and Sean Taylor provide a steady, reliable but innovative rhythm section on bass and drums respectively. The raw and brutal production values are spot on for these homages to early '80's NWOBHM.

011.jpg
2013 debut? :)

Stuff like Karrier is the reason I started this thread. :thumbsup:
I've never heard them, and likely would never hear them. But now I'll seek them out.
This thread, even if it got no more contributions as of right now would be one of the best NWOBHM databases on the web in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom