What are you Listening To Right Now? - and more

I bought the Ibanez MC-200 (natural wood body with dark stained headstock) via e-bay from a Vintage Guitar Shop in Washington State. I got searching for the MC-200 after receiving it just for information. I came across a vintage guitar shop in California that was featuring a MC-200 for their daily youtube videos. As I watched this video, I realized it was the exact guitar I had just bought from the shop in Washington. I have no idea how this exchange happened before my purchase. But my guitar is up in lights via this california shop's video. Tickled me to death when I realized it. I could tell when I saw the case and it had the exact markings as the case I just received. Plus I could tell what he was playing was now the guitar in my possession, small darn world!The other MC-200 on the left (see above posted pic) has a natural headstock. Ibanez changed it to dark stain in April. The one on the left was made in March 1978 (hence the natural ) and the one featured in this video was made in september 1978 (hence the dark stain headstock)

Based on the era they were built you have to think Irwin was eyeing those up when he built Wolf , and Rosebud for Garcia. The combo of exotic wood species and ornate curves and hardware, and the switching. Hand building doesn't get much better than this.
IMG_1241.PNG IMG_1240.JPG

Hey GJ when you get a chance , look this up on Spotify, and sit in the sweet spot. It's got the most realistically recorded Strat comping I've heard. I'm referring to the song called High** on the second CD of the two. Let the track build because the arrangements continuously modulate soundstaging.
"High" (**The Iteal Shur Beautiful Urban Extended mix) , not the track just called high. The track is Floydian like atmosphere with a killer drum pocket. I already have it on the iPads after 1 listen for break music on outdoor gigs this summer.

Lighthouse Family. Postcards From Heaven.

image.jpg

Last edited:
Based on the era they were built you have to think Irwin was eyeing those up when he built Wolf , and Rosebud for Garcia. The combo of exotic wood species and ornate curves and hardware, and the switching. Hand building doesn't get much better than this.
View attachment 1417144 View attachment 1417143
Good Eye FOH Engineer. Jerry Garcia is about the only "known" guitarist I have found that actually played the Ibanez Musician Series Guitars. There are photos out there with Jerry and Bob playing Ibanez MC-400 and 500 guitars. The center guitar in the pic above is a 500 model. The only difference from the 400 was that the 500 had a "contoured" body. Otherwise the 500 was the same as the 400. They are not really "road worthy" guitars with that crafted single neck thru design. One bad drop and the guitar could be history. There is no "bolting" on a replacement. They are very heavy and stout, but I also exercise great care when handling them. so Yes, I agree that he would have been eyeing those Ibanez. Jerry would have had some right in his hands as a good model. LOL. The pieces of the puzzle are all coming together on this one.

Last edited:
View attachment 1417144 View attachment 1417143
Works of art. After Jerry's passing a gentleman in Utica NY ended up with the Wolf. Bought it at an auction for a crap-ton of money. He later auctioned it off for charity. Utica is 24 miles to my East. After the Irwin guitars, Stephen Cripes built a guitar for Jerry that he fell in love with. Unfortunately Mr. Cripes blew himself up, supposedly making fireworks.

The Sheffield Track Record
Rock instrumental Tracks for for Audio Component Testing and evaluation. Great cast of players
Sheffield Labs D2D LP Lab 20
Regards,
Jim

71RCVD4UYNL._SL1280_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom