NotYourKind

20190211_164142.jpg 20190211_164125.jpg 20190211_164155.jpg Hey all. Apologies that I didnt have time for a proper intro to AK. Either way, been coming here for info for yrs, we probably have a lot in common. All righty then, I need help identifying a brand logo. Am harrassing a seller with questuons on OfferUp, but he has no clue about the item he is selling. I am suspecting that his box is a gold nugget in an ocean of lightweight mdf crapolla.. Its a 12" powered sub, late 80's to late 90's wood finish with rounded corners. Has an after market (looks like a Dayton?) amp plate on the back, so no original manufacturer's info to go off of. Only point of indication is the maker's mark in the lower right corner, which I am hoping someone could help identify. I thought it was an older Klipsch or CV logo but came up empty in a 2 day long search.

Either way, the color of the wood trim leads me to a late 80's model. They finished everything that color back then. Looks heavy, and heavy is good for low freq sine waves. Am looking to add it to my new (old) Infinity SM-85's set up, as they are lacking in the sub range. Thanks in advance for any leads, and nice to meet you all.

Last edited:
How about a close up on the logo in the lower right of the second picture?

IIRC, that looks a little too advanced for an 80's subwoofer. They were just hitting the market around then,

I got nuttin' Seller doesn't know?
Nah, unfortunately he's no road map to enlightenment. He said it was 1200watts in his description, and then I laughed when I noticed the Dayton 250watt amp plate from Parts Express on the back. I think he got upset when I brought that to his attn, but I also think he needs to 'harden up' a little.

Either way, it looks late 80's to early 90's to me. I dont believe there were too many generic speaks in those days, as Shenzen was still a fishing village back then. Then again, I may be completely wrong. Thanks for taking a stab at it Skipper

IIRC, that looks a little too advanced for an 80's subwoofer. They were just hitting the market around then,

My guess is because it is an updated amp plate? I know its too ugly to be circa 2000 ---->. Its the same color of the wooden benches at the old Mall I used to terrorize back in the 80's. Looks like a wooden counter top from an old pizza place... near the beach.. lol

I think the plate amp is the original. It fits too nicely to be a replacement. I was able to view on the selling website but still unable to identify anything specific.

If I had to guess...A V are the letters...
Logo looks familiar, someone should know.

Oooh good guess... I'm getting excited, getting closer...

I hope I haven't hyped it up too much in my head... Or it'll be like when Ralphie got way too excited for his Little Orphan Annie decoder ring, only to reveal an ad for a "crumby commercial"

I think the plate amp is the original. It fits too nicely to be a replacement. I was able to view on the selling website but still unable to identify anything specific.
Do you think its a Dayton plate? Only reason I suspect otherwise is because the seller said he replaced it. It looks like a new cheap speak that is for sure

Yeah, I'd say whatever this used to be, it no longer is. Unless you can get it for the value of the plate amp (used), keep looking.
I thought it looked like a cheap driver also. The asking price is kinda high. I'd just get a dayton sub from parts express... or better yet get two. Lol!!

Lol... I think I got mesmerized by the wood finish, I've got an 80's nostalgia thing going on the past couple years. Bought a wood panel Coke machine last month, and now these Infinity SM-85's last week ... I thinks there is wood paneling in my Lexus... where does it end?

Ya, the guy was asking $150 for the sub, but I offered $60. He said said $100... I haven't said anything since. I was just hoping for a solid cabinet to put in whatever driver I wanted. It looks heavy... did I say that already? I really appreciate the replies

Last edited:
Yeah its def a Franken-amp now. And he's not budging enough for me to pull the trigger on this sub. I still wish I knew who built it

Back
Top Bottom