how to look inside speakers

Nothing shows up, I have contacted both companies and go from there.

1. Do the websites above have a search engine for the proper kit needed?
2. Measure your existing surrounds to ensure/compare with replacements.

I'm all into vintage, I even live in a vintage loft.

I'm thinking on painting/stain the cabinets dark, Brazilian wall nut. Then, Replace the screen cloth with something like [check below image]. I can 3d Print in black something like "Coral inside vintage" and stick to the screen on the bottom.

81QC2KRZXoL._SY355_.jpg

Get to it... Audio vintage passion IS, from my point of view, spending time upgrading speaker cabinets

people I need your advice, [check images below] and thanks in advance.

So, I removed the screen cloth and found out that;

20 - the midrange dust cap isn't even glued evenly, does it make any difference? this dust cap have a middle screen like a fine metal filter screen.

21 - the two twitter that are the same, 2H-20 1w 8ohm aren't screwed evenly on the baffle's hole... something that I should correct maybe? if I correct this, best would be replacing the gasket?

just off topic but related---seems like they were on the hurry to build these speakers LOL maybe high demand back in the 70's---the 70's was a high plateau for originals!!! I'm much younger but, thinking on here---listening Led zeppelin with these speakers back then!!! today I find it just amazing to listen to Sonic Youth, Trentemøller and projects like not too mainstream!!!

cheers
T

IMG_3399.JPG IMG_3400.JPG IMG_3401.JPG IMG_3402.JPG IMG_3403.JPG IMG_3404.JPG

A dust caps only purpose is to keep dust out of the voice coil. No worries if it's a little off center. I'd rethink the whole driver mounting and install on the baffle from the front.

These are good information, I'm onto it, ordering the foaming kit... just have to figure out exactly dimensions which I'm a little confused how to check it...

These woofers have two sets of numbers, 137 7426 and 5812517, can't find much when browsing them, is there any data base of coral speaker somewhere online? I don't even know if they are still in business still.

what is the diameter of the speaker you want to refoam.

I'd rethink the whole driver mounting and install on the baffle from the front.
Agreed, the drivers look like they were designed to be front mounted. If you have the woodworking skills, use a router to countersink the drivers to the depth of the baffle so it's completely flat. As is, you're probably getting serious diffraction effects from the way the drivers are mounted.

yes, I was thinking about that too, I need to build up a board to hold up the capacitors and bring the wire to the front side. And, then, do magnets or velcro like RTally mentioned... I'm not really into wood work but I do have all the tolls and machines at work. Then, glue the thing down with wood screws.
I totally agree with you!!! I can even make a port from the back to replace the capacitors if they go bad.

cheers

A dust caps only purpose is to keep dust out of the voice coil. No worries if it's a little off center. I'd rethink the whole driver mounting and install on the baffle from the front.

Mystery speakers are part of the fun. If the cabinet is heavy, then the speaker gets a closer look. Rap your knuckles on the side of the cabinet and listen for resonance. If it sounds like a ripe melon, that is secondary resonance which means poorly damped and sh*tty sound. No effort in the cabinet usually means poor quality drivers. If the knuckle rap sounds like solid wood, the cabinet is well made and could have better drivers inside.

Even better if feeling like the rap test was performed on a cement block lol.

I'm not going to be able to mount the drivers from the outside. the woofer is way to big for the cut-out. I will be working on foaming, do my best, mount everything centered with proper gaskets, mount the baffle with screws and a gasket between baffle and flange step. Then, I'll be looking into a new screen clothe and frame. have to figure out how to make a frame. Will be too big to 3Dprint with my machine capabilities.

a lot of work a head! YAY!!!!

Attachments

• IMG_3413.JPG
    IMG_3413.JPG
    77.5 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_3414.JPG
    IMG_3414.JPG
    67 KB · Views: 7
music is so intriguing, the perception of ergonomic spaces!!
look at this example.
the audio is just awesome!

the ergonomic space of underground audio---back in the 80's/90's with rave parties in castles/churches etc---Sonic Youth was on the top of the re-creative approach!!!

Nice audio. Very clean and uncluttered. Intriguing vocals laced into the music.

Not to rain on your parade -- your enthusiasm is wonderful -- but this is turning into quite a bit of work for what was probably a low-end Coral speaker to begin with. Refoam, remount caps, drivers to front, countersink drivers. While you're at it replacing the caps is basic maintenance on speakers that age.

All that and you've still got paper tweeters. Back in the day those were made, most good tweeters were horns. Paper tweeters were used on lesser speakers. Then advances were made in tweeter design and dome, ribbon, and other tweeters came . Read up on tweeter types here on wiki. There are, however, some speakers from the 70s that didn't use horn tweets that are well regarded but usually what made them special was a good tweeter.

So here is a completely different idea: if those cabinets are nice, then retrofit them with modern drivers and components from a place like parts express. You can get some real great sound that way. There are many threads here on AK about doing stuff like that. You have to match components to cabinet size and design (bass reflex (ported) or acoustic suspension (sealed)).

Back
Top Bottom