JBL re-introducing the L-100

Heard back from the JBL distributor. They have put me in touch with a local retailer, who has the new JBL L100 Classic in stock, ready for audition. I plan to go and have a listening session in the next couple weeks. Price is $5600 Canadian, which today is $4264.00 USD. I'm really curious to see and hear these speakers!

Last edited:
Got to see/hear a pair at the Florida Audio Expo yesterday. For the $, I liked them better than several of the $20k alternatives. No chance for a real audition or A/B testing.

Someone walked into the room and said "I haven't seen a pair of those in 40 years". I thought that was kind of funny.

I very much like my vintage pair of L-100's. Back in the 70's I was introduced to them by a friends older brother who could afford them. Now I have a pair matched with Marantz just as he did. If you look at yesterday's cost and put it into today's money they where expensive then. Just not 4 grand worth of expensive. Titanium tweeters on the new ones would make the highs even harder and more ridged than what the vintage L-100's already put out. Not a good move as they already have enough in my opinion have nice high end response. Some may not like the L-100 as they are a well balanced output and do not have a high output low end. Some add a sub to their system to compensate for this. I do not as I like the balance between low, mid and highs with strong sound reproduction that JBL is known for. But in my opinion 4 grand for a pair of new ones when there is still vintage pairs at less than half that to be had does not make sense right now.

Got to see/hear a pair at the Florida Audio Expo yesterday. For the $, I liked them better than several of the $20k alternatives. No chance for a real audition or A/B testing.

Someone walked into the room and said "I haven't seen a pair of those in 40 years". I thought that was kind of funny.
The 4429 is the sweet spot in the line. Well worth the extra 1,000 over L100

OK, that's good info, don't tell anybody. JBL not happy with jbl Joe right now, in promoting the new L100 anyway. But I guess it's a win-win situation anyway for them.
Hey, worked for JBL Pro for 25 years outfitting recording studios. For what it's worth my favorite all time speaker is the Altec Lansing Model 19

The only thing Kenji and I agreed upon is a Walnut zebra high gloss cabinet finish. He did a pair of 4307's for me that kick ass. I am sure the L 100 will come back just the same

Nice! Do you find that they have too much midrange? Hard to tell listening to a compressed YouTube signal.

The only thing Kenji and I agreed upon is a Walnut zebra high gloss cabinet finish. He did a pair of 4307's for me that kick ass. I am sure the L 100 will come back just the same

Nice! Of course I would have to hear them in person but I like what he's been doing to these vintage JBL C38 Barons.

Hey, worked for JBL Pro for 25 years outfitting recording studios. For what it's worth my favorite all time speaker is the Altec Lansing Model 19

OK, haven't heard that speaker, will have to check it out. I thought Kenji had modified a pair but will have to search. He did do a nice job on these Altec's (based on the YouTube video):

Nice! Of course I would have to hear them in person but I like what he's been doing to these vintage JBL C38 Barons.
I'm a bit overwhelmed by the polished rings around the D130 woofers and the gold 075s. I'm sure they are beautifully done but, as the lifelong owner of a pair of 030s in C35 cabinets, I question how good they'll sound in the smaller box given the bass output of which the D130 is capable even in a larger box. I understand this is Japan and most housing is spatially challenged, and that this is more about the bling than the sound. Looks more like something you'd see from a Russian Ebay auction than what we're used to seeing from Kenji, but then Russia may be the market he's appealing to with this stuff. :dunno:

A guy's got to earn a living!

Back
Top Bottom