Snell Sub 1800 (18" sub)

Pianist

https://www.stereophile.com/content/snell-music-cinema-home-thx-reference-system

Specs are supposed to be:
SUB 1800: reflex-loaded (fourth-order) subwoofer with 18" cast-frame driver. Frequency response: 17Hz–80Hz ±2dB anechoic. Impedance: 8 ohms nominal, 7.5 ohms minimum. Sensitivity: 88dB/W/m. Amplifier requirements: 90–400W.
Dimensions: 45" H by 21.5" W by 16.5" D. Weight (shipping): 120 lbs.

Question is whether there is an internal crossover (i.e., passive) inside to achieve the 80hz crossover point, or is it just a raw-driver-in-a-cabinet? Thanks!

One would assume the sub is without a crossover network. I'll take two please.

That was my assumption, looking at pictures of the sub. But I wonder how the reviewer achieved the 80hz crossover -- was he simply using the sub-out from a THX-compliant amp? I mean, the raw driver surely will not have the perfect slope for a 80hz point.

At that time, TJN had a thing for the NAD 208THX power amp - the amp he used to power the subs in this review. It has no crossover network on-board so I made the assumption that he was using an AVP or AVR with its .1 LFE output driving the NAD. It may be listed in the Associated Components at the end if the review ...

At that time, TJN had a thing for the NAD 208THX power amp - the amp he used to power the subs in this review. It has no crossover network on-board so I made the assumption that he was using an AVP or AVR with its .1 LFE output driving the NAD. It may be listed in the Associated Components at the end if the review ...

Good call. "I should also point out here that the bass in my setup was mono (though through two subwoofers). The bass output of the Proceed PAV, as with many surround-sound processors, is a single mono output."

Back
Top Bottom