I Regressed And Bought A New Watch

A black band on that orange Tag would work.

Speaking of (Tag) Heuer, I got this for my 10th birthday in the 70s. Still works and in great shape.

iu

This thread is brand new to me, never saw it before.

About 2 decades ago, I had got the grandpa's kinetic watch fixed by an actual watch repairman. Shake it a few times even today, it takes right off. This was around 1995 or so.

As of THIS VERY MORNING, I sent my late father's own kinetic Timex off to a guy in Florida that Timex themselves actually recommended. Retired repairman who does some of their work (these guys are dropping like flies, so act now) and he's assured me he can fix it.

Yeah, I'm sentimental, and it has affected my wallet as much as my heart, lol.

I like the orange band. My old one was fluorescent. Makes it hard to loose.

Orange probably repels sharks, too. I sometimes worry about my silver Seiko with stainless band looking like a tasty fish when I'm in the ocean for a long period of time.

Orange probably repels sharks, too. I sometimes worry about my silver Seiko with stainless band looking like a tasty fish when I'm in the ocean for a long period of time.
Being an artist, I like color. You should see my clothes. lol. Aside from an orange watch, I was looking for a classic white faced, silver, with a tan leather band. I ended up with two black ones instead.

Here’s my daily driver. Old reliable, I’ve had this thing forever and can’t remember the last time I put a battery in it.
View attachment 1396021

I've replaced the battery on my Luminox at least 4 times over 20+ years. One reason why I got an automatic. But it's a dress watch and I don't get dressed up much, so it's always dead. The new diver is solar powered. Unless the sun goes out, I should be good.

Many recent Timex watches use a big 2016 battery. I have one I bought in 2006 or 2007 that still runs.

Of course, it will last less time if you routinely use the Indiglo feature.

I've replaced the battery on my Luminox at least 4 times over 20+ years. One reason why I got an automatic. But it's a dress watch and I don't get dressed up much, so it's always dead. The new diver is solar powered. Unless the sun goes out, I should be good.
I love my new solar so far! I just have to resist wearing it to work, and let the Timex take the licking.

I was learning about Bulova while researching and looking into repairing my father’s step dad’s old watch from the 60s. In doing so I looked more into moon and space watches. I love sci-fi and kind of romanticize spaceflight but at this time an Omega Speedmaster is not in the budget.

But the Bulova reissue of the watch Apollo 15 commander Colonel David Scott took to the moon is. It’s not as faithful to the original as a Speedmaster. It has Bulova’s Precisionist movement and a sapphire crystal. It’s also 1mm larger than than the original.

And yet I was so smitten by the kitchy nature of the watch and the history that I impulse bought it. It’s actually not much larger than the Citizen my father got me years ago before I was”into watches”.

Here’s the story https://wornandwound.com/bulova-used-universal-geneve-get-moon-can-get-one-today/

And here’s mine

2E6B7490-C02E-466C-B6E9-0890066BFE25.jpeg

Grandma gave something similar to me for high school graduation back in 1977. Don't quite remember the model or what happened to it.

Last year at a party, some young guy had one. I was stoked. He told me it was a replica and it was becoming the in thing. This was in Silicon Valley.

image.png

This thread is brand new to me, never saw it before.

About 2 decades ago, I had got the grandpa's kinetic watch fixed by an actual watch repairman. Shake it a few times even today, it takes right off. This was around 1995 or so.

As of THIS VERY MORNING, I sent my late father's own kinetic Timex off to a guy in Florida that Timex themselves actually recommended. Retired repairman who does some of their work (these guys are dropping like flies, so act now) and he's assured me he can fix it.

Yeah, I'm sentimental, and it has affected my wallet as much as my heart, lol.

I started it last year and have been amazed that it has gotten so long!

I am rolling along with my two Seikos and a Bulova still. My Wife is up to around 50.......

I started it last year and have been amazed that it has gotten so long!

I am rolling along with my two Seikos and a Bulova still. My Wife is up to around 50.......

I'm not surprised, ever watch the Invicta shows? Some collectors have more watches than I have records lol. I've always liked mechanical watches, especially automatics but they can be pricey if chronographs. But wasn't bitten by the collecting bug until the past couple of yrs, now I have a few dozen lol.

One of my Star Wars collectables.

20190212_111120.jpg

Last edited:
I'm not surprised, ever watch the Invicta shows? Some collectors have more watches than I have records lol. I've always liked mechanical watches, especially automatics but they can be pricey if chronographs. But wasn't bitten by the collecting bug until the past couple of yrs, now I have a few dozen lol.

One of my Star Wars collectables.

View attachment 1417634

The watch bug burned bright and intense for me....and then one day all interest was gone. I still have drawers full of straps etc but I am down to about 8 from over 50 and 3 I actually wear.

Grandma gave something similar to me for high school graduation back in 1977. Don't quite remember the model or what happened to it.

Last year at a party, some young guy had one. I was stoked. He told me it was a replica and it was becoming the in thing. This was in Silicon Valley.

View attachment 1417053

I wore that watch for many years in the late 70's into the 80's. Cool that is coming back.

Snade

I love mechanical watches, and clocks, or about anything mechanical that can be done cheaper and easier nowadays with electronics. I am glad, and not too surprised to see so many here with the same feelings. I have some fancy ones, Polerouter, Accutron divers(seen to the left) , but one of my favorite daily drivers is this cheap amphibian. I picked this up from a sweet Russian lady at a garage sale 20 some odd years ago for one dollar. I am not gentle on watches, and I have only had to crack the case once to tighten the screw that holds down the mainspring winding gear.

Attachments

• IMG_1903.JPG
    IMG_1903.JPG
    80.7 KB · Views: 13
Got my dad's Timex back from that cat in Florida. She's purring like a kitten, and I've rediscovered my love affair with watches.

Oh, and Dad actually owned one of those awesome Pulsar Digital watches in the late 70's, where you had to actually push a button to see these cheesy red numerals.

It ended up in my toy box, and is lost forever. GOD I wish I had that.

Back
Top Bottom