Miller Kreisler 125 sub versus new subs, versus svs sb12

sac

My mk125 has served well in our system for many years now for both home theatre and enhancing the bottom end of our main speakers for stereo listening without any issues. If I let audyssey on my receiver, choose the levels and crossovers the sound from the sub is very high wnd it rattles and booms in the 120 Hz region, so I use the sub cross over at 70Hz to make it only produce the low bass for best results
How much better are the new subs, say comparing one at a similar price point/ size to the mk125 when new such as an svs sb12.
Apart from the obvious, the mk is 100W and the svs 400W, will it sound significantly better, or only be a subtle improvement. how do I get an idea of how much better a newer one would be without hooking it up in my living room?

Last edited:
Are you referring to the Miller & Kreisel V125? If so, that's a fine sub. I have one in my repair stack.

Audyssey and other auto calibration systems are known to set the crossover a little too high sometimes. 80 Hertz is the "gold standard" for home theater, unless your speakers are small and require the higher crossover. Once the crossover is above 80 Hertz, especially at 120 Hertz, can lead to boomy bass because the bass is more localized at those frequencies.

SVS subs are great, but it may not be that much of an upgrade from the M&K if you're happy with it. The extra wattage would probably be the most noticeable difference.

Are you referring to the Miller & Kreisel V125? If so, that's a fine sub. I have one in my repair stack.

Audyssey and other auto calibration systems are known to set the crossover a little too high sometimes. 80 Hertz is the "gold standard" for home theater, unless your speakers are small and require the higher crossover. Once the crossover is above 80 Hertz, especially at 120 Hertz, can lead to boomy bass because the bass is more localized at those frequencies.

SVS subs are great, but it may not be that much of an upgrade from the M&K if you're happy with it. The extra wattage would probably be the most noticeable difference.

Thanks very much for the reply. Yes, it is the v125. I'm not entirely convinced that Audyssey is doing it right with my setup(denon 3311 receiver), my main speakers(running external amp) are very low sensitivity ~80dB (apogee caliper sigs) but produce good bass, but maybe don't produce a good output with the level of the test tone that audyssey sends. Audyssey never sees them as full range speakers and often sets the crossover for them at 100 Hz, and my more efficient surround bookshelf speakers as full range!. Ive tried various ploys to see if I can fool it into proper operation(like turning the sensitivity on the sub way down(even turning it off), or having the sub crossover active in the test phase.........but the results are inconsistent)

So yes, after I set it up manually I'm happy with the sound, good to know the MK V125 is well regarded, I suppose one concern I have looking forward is it is getting on in age and the amp electronics may eventually have issues(it is constantly powered on, unless I remember to switch it off)

I'd let it play as long as it works and worry about replacing it later. M&K is some wonderful classic gear.

You might consider a power center or even a power conditioner so you can turn your entire system off including the sub with one switch.

Back
Top Bottom