Topping D30 / S.M.S.L SU8 / Schiit Modi 3

Sansui77

Khosaku Kikuchi's Grandson
Hi All,

Looking for a cheapish DAC. Some of the brands I've been looking at are the Topping D30 / S.M.S.L SU8 & Schiit Modi 3.
What are your thoughts on the above and if there's other brands that are a worthy look at, please state them? Where is a great place for purchase?
I'm not after a $1000 DAC just something that has good punchy bottom end, detailed mids and silky top end. To be matched up between a PC and my vintage gear. My budget is around $200USD. I will be using optical input.

Your thought please?

Last edited:
The ones you've listed are going to more or less sound the same. They're all proven to be accurate performers.

So you should be choosing based features. I'd go for the SMSL SU-since it's the only one with balanced connections.

Hi All,
I'm not after a $1000 DAC ....
QUOTE]

Yet.....I thought the same thing and ended up with a MHDT Orchid.

Good luck. I think I would lean toward the SMSL, or the Schiit. With Schiit you have some upgrade options and a healthy re-sale market.

I cannot compare with the other two, but the Modi 3 has better bass than the Hifime 9018 and a modified FIIO D03k. I was surprised at the difference. To be clear, the bass was not at all boomy, but rather more present and detailed. I would also say that the Modi 3 has better depth.

Differences between DACs can be pretty slight, but I would buy another Modi if I needed another DAC. It is also nice that it has so many connection options.

Buy both and make the judgement yourself. The Topping you can return for no price penalty if you buy on Amazon. You will pay a restock fee for return of Schist. Personally I would buy the Schist because there probably isn't much difference, and I live in the USA. If you do buy both, and you should, please report back. The reason you should buy both is to see for your self.
Edit: i see you live in Australia, so it is not so easy to buy both.

Geshelli Labs ENOG2 PRO is a possibility that fits your criteria …
budget is around $200USD. I will be using optical input.

$180 and believe they have free shipping in North America. You can order directly from manufacturer.

Note: unit has no usb input .. SPDIF Toslink/Coaxial Inputs only.

Last edited:
Geshelli Labs ENOG2 PRO is a possibility that fits your criteria …

$180 and believe they have free shipping in North America. You can order directly from manufacturer.

Note: unit has no usb input .. SPDIF Toslink/Coaxial Inputs only.

Be interested to know if anyone has purchased one and if they're happy with it.

Back
Top Bottom