Has Anyone Used These Walmart Shelves?

I bought a 12 cube one. The shelves where a little to deep for me so I screwed some wood strips in the back. Keeps the records forward plus they won't side out the back. IMG_0680.JPG You look close you can see the strips in the back. Other than that it works great. IMG_0697.JPG

Good info guys. I don't have any transportation right now and Wally World does deliver free ;) BTW bob06, what's that you have on top that looks like you're stowing CD's in?

34782D5A-D35E-43C7-9AE1-218A94623FA9.jpeg
I have two of the 8-cube, and one of the 4-cube sets. They look and function great.

A late-night trip to Walmart led to my discovering them. Stable enough to load them up horizontally or vertically.

One mod I did make was to screw a small strip of wood along the back of each cube, just to keep the records from sliding out the back.

Last edited:
May I suggest the 2x2 no mater if it was these or Ikea
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Better-H...hguid=8adc3505-715-168f9724fd178a&athena=true
Reconfiguring in your home or moving you will wish you bought the smaller units and stacked them. A 4 hole two people can unstack them full, wrap them in seran wrap and move them on a dolly. This will save time and the hassle of boxing records and damage that can occur. If you have them setup counter hight you can push them around the house full of records.

A 6, 8 or 12 hole you could never do this as the weight would destroy the cabinet.

It looks like a pretty good deal, I wonder what the composition of it all is. Personally, if I have time on my hands, I would get some solid wood and put something together or search out shelving to work with pre-1970. But maybe this OP topic/item is better than what I've experienced in the last couple of decades, I may check it out at Wally. I recently bought more lifetime metal shelving for my junk at HD.

Good info guys. I don't have any transportation right now and Wally World does deliver free ;) BTW bob06, what's that you have on top that looks like you're stowing CD's in?
That's is something I built out of pine and painted it to hold my CD's. It eliminated another shelve I had in the corner holding them before. Keeps everything together.

It looks like a pretty good deal, I wonder what the composition of it all is. Personally, if I have time on my hands, I would get some solid wood and put something together.

Sometimes you like to build something, sometimes not. With no workshop and being cold outside, I'll let somebody else build them this time.

The only difference between these and typical crappy Wal-Mart furniture is properly engineered design.

The Wal-Mart bookcase shelves quickly sag if you load them with actual books. Not so for these even when packed with records.

I have, but I'm still searching for the perfect way to store my records. I prefer to flip thru them, as the side is impossible to read for me, and flipping is half the fun.

I don't have the space for the 1 sheet of plywood boxes, so I'm leaning towards some type of plumbing pipe + skid wood thing.

These are a good stopgap, and like 4-2-7 said, it seems the littler ones in greater numbers are a better way to go, structural integrity-wise.

I have an eight cube and a twelve cube. I have approximately 1,500 records in them now , and have been using them for probably close to two years. They hold up very well and haven't started sagging yet.

Yup, I bought an 8-cube in red when IKEA stopped making the "Kallax" in red. (I have a 4-cube red Kallax in my office at work and like it a lot.) The "Better Homes and Gardens" version is not bad, not quite as well made as the Kallax, and the red tends more towards burgundy. The veneer seems a lot thinner than the IKEA version. I would up bracing the cabinet in the back and under the shelves because I wasn't sure how much weight it would hold. Then I put some heavy-duty casters on the bottom both for the industrial look and to make it easier to get to the back of my gear. Turned out pretty well and has been working for me for over a year now.
Living room 3.jpg

Something thats not total crap from Wally World. Nice.
I have several set of the Ikea cubes in different multiples.
I put a plywood back on all of them.
Makes them more sturdy & keeps the dust out of the back.

Those Wally ones look pretty substantial - thanks for the tip.

I intend to make a bench that sits on the side of the room along the wall. The shelves will be attached to the bench with the openings facing up so I can flip through the albums :thumbsup:

I've looked at these from Walmart. Basically the same thing as the Ikea Kallax, but at $20 more per unit for the same thing I went to Ikea.

Just redid my mancave with a bunch of these. They're all on sale so most are sold out but at times back in stock.

0613201729.jpg

Added extra panels in the back to eliminate the wobble. Solid now. Well supported with six of the Ikea Eket feet.

Just redid my mancave with a bunch of these. They're all on sale so most are sold out but at times back in stock...

Thanks for that post. I'd been wanting some white ones for a while and my local stores only carry espresso and driftwood colors. Your comment inspired me check their website where all I was able to order all I needed.

Thanks for that post. I'd been wanting some white ones for a while and my local stores only carry espresso and driftwood colors. Your comment inspired me check their website where all I was able to order all I needed.

I had to do a combination of ebay, a shopping website and the wally site to get all I was looking for. The rustic gray isn't that far off from the weathered color so I had to mix & match a little. Overall very happy with the result. The 1x2's have a slightly taller internal height and can fit some box sets.

0531201436.jpg

I also decided to reinforce the 1x2's and use them as speaker stands. Holding just fine.

0531201007.jpg

Back
Top Bottom