WalMart Strikes Again!!!

Someone should print up tee shirts with a slogan to "Save Adam" and start selling them.

I'd wear one to my local Wal-Mart and I'm sure others would as well.

Probably still wouldn't get the hint...

I go to Wally World ONLY to get my haircut from an establishment located within the building. But I will say that it's a good place to go to watch the people. Just like I did back in my early yute days. When I and a buddy would smoke a little weed and go to the Greyhound Bus station just to watch the people. What can I say, a lid back then was $10, gas was less than a dollar and the entertainment was free. :smoke:

As much as I dislike Walmart, I don't think it is wrong to ask an employee to actually WORK while on the job. (Sure, Walmart does not pay enough but if you are taking the job, you are accepting the pay. Take the pay and do the work.Or get another job. Oh wait!!!??? No other jobs available???!!! Do you think Walmart might have had something to do with that?)

It is Walmart after all, not a guest resort, or a charity.

I don't think it is wrong to ask an employee to actually WORK while on the job.

It is one thing to ask an employee to do "their" job--which this kid has done for 10+ years, but to increase his job requirements--probably to eliminate someone else's job through "consolidation", and kick him to the curb is ridiculous--and I'm certain they didn't offer him more money to assume more responsibilities, even if he could perform them.

Apparently the "kick-backs" that employers used to get for employing the disabled has expired, so now the "cheap help" has to go, since they might actually have to pay "full" minimum wage.

Running into more and more who are refusing to go because of the self serve options being offered. Personally, I'm not big on them as well, as I like the human touch when I go through the check outs.

Q

There are several WalMarts in the KC metro that are properly managed and the employees are truly friendly. The secret is to go on a weekday between 9-11am or 1-3pm. The stores are not packed and you can park close. My only gripe is stuff that sells well is sometimes not in stock. Oh well can't have everything when prices are 20-40% cheaper than other stores.

Last edited:
They're not longer "options"--it's getting to the point that they are damned near requirements if you want to get in and out in less than an hour. Packed store, and only two cashiers working??? Either DIY or pack a lunch--take your pick.

I hear you! Time to get the barricades up, the posters written, and the chants memorized. :bs: But, I think it won't work.

Solutions?

Q

Does your favorite store employ people like Adam? Do you?

It'll probably be very difficult for this guy to find an other job and that sucks for him, but do you know why? Because very few businesses are willing to do what Wal-Mart has been doing (in Adam's case) for the last ten years.

Wal-Mart might keep Adam due to the publicity. If they do, they risk a discrimination lawsuit every time they fail to hire an applicant who can't perform the duties outlined in the job description because they're letting Adam slide. No good deed will go unpunished and unintended consequences and all that crap.

While we are on the subject of holding Wal-Mart to a higher standard, pay was mentioned. In my town, Wal-Mart's starting pay is about average for the type of work. I know a guy who has worked for Wal-Mart for coming up on two decades and he makes nearly 19 bucks an hour. Not management (or even a particularly good worker), just been there a long time.

In case you haven't got experience in this industry in the Deep South, that's pretty damn good for unskilled indoor work.

I'm not particularly fond of Wal-Mart, but it's unfair to see so much vitriol heaped on them for treating their employees about the same as nearly every similar business.

My experience in my town. Your mileage may vary.

Does your favorite store employ people like Adam?

Yes--yes they do. My favorite grocery store does hire a lot of disabled folks, and everyone appreciates them and ignores their disabilities and accepts them for who they are and what they do.

No, unfortunately I can't. I own a construction company and it would be too dangerous for them in that environment. I would, if I could.

I'm not particularly fond of Wal-Mart, but it's unfair to see so much vitriol heaped on them for treating their employees about the same as nearly every similar business.

If WalMart is such a fantastic employer when it comes to paying/treatment of their employees, then why are there constant rallies and protests (by employees) in front of their stores, and why are there so many WalMart employees receiving government assistance just to make ends meet? I've yet to see Macy's employees out front protesting, nor my local Giant Eagle grocery store--not even at McDonald's. And it's not necessarily all about the money. Expectations of performance and quality of life issues all have a great impact on employee dissatisfaction.

You are just coming off as the sort of guy that thinks it's wrong to let the disabled "ball-boy" onto the field and score a touchdown in the final seconds of the last game of the season. At least he wants to "participate"--which is more than I can say for a lot of able-bodied folks these days.

Here in Kansas City there are no WalMart employee protests. McDonald's has that distinction. Most McDonalds workers here make about a dollar over minimum wage. WalMart starts here at $12.

The grocery store chain I work for also hire the disabled. We have 3 checkers with missing limbs, and 2 that can barely walk. They do good work and are prompt and courteous to the customers.

Last edited:
Wal-Mart might keep Adam due to the publicity. If they do, they risk a discrimination lawsuit every time they fail to hire an applicant who can't perform the duties outlined in the job description because they're letting Adam slide.

Actually, WalMart has the "easy-out" and, in fact, an "obligation" to keep Adam. He has faithfully and more than adequately performed the duties of the job that he was hired for 10+ years ago. WalMart is the one that is "changing the rules in the middle of the game". New hires will be hired into a job position with duties defined at their date of hire (if they qualify).

Adam should be "grandfathered" in, as he performs the duties of the job (as defined by WalMart) for which he was hired--when he was hired. He has successfully met their standards for 10+ years. If the job description and duties assigned are different in 2019, then all new hires should be judged by their ability to meet the standards of their job description and duties at the time of their hire. It is that simple.

When I started college in the state of OH, the drinking age was 18. During my tenure there, the drinking age was raised to 19 for beer, and 21 for wine and liquor, and eventually 21 for all alcoholic beverages. If you were already "of age" under the previous law before each subsequent revision, you were exempted from the changes imposed by each revison. And this is state law we're talking about--not some BS workplace "corporate policy".

Win or lose, I sincerely hope that the ACLU and other organizations representing the disabled step in on Adam's behalf, just to cost WalMart millions in legal fees.

Just another reason to hate Walmart and everything it stands for.

I could go on for hours, then again, you probably can too!

Yes--yes they do. My favorite grocery store does hire a lot of disabled folks, and everyone appreciates them and ignores their disabilities and accepts them for who they are and what they do.

No, unfortunately I can't. I own a construction company and it would be too dangerous for them in that environment. I would, if I could. . .

I've worked for stores that employed handicapped workers. A government program paid half their salary for six months only. No, we didn't fire them after the government quit pitching in.

None of them were as profoundly physically handicapped as Adam and all could perform the job they had.

You could hire Adam to sit in a truck at the site and smile and wave at passing motorists. He'd be out of harm's way and more or less doing what he did at Wal-Mart.

. . . If WalMart is such a fantastic employer when it comes to paying/treatment of their employees, then why are there constant rallies and protests (by employees) in front of their stores, and why are there so many WalMart employees receiving government assistance just to make ends meet? I've yet to see Macy's employees out front protesting, nor my local Giant Eagle grocery store--not even at McDonald's. And it's not necessarily all about the money. Expectations of performance and quality of life issues all have a great impact on employee dissatisfaction.

Not fantastic, just pretty typical for that industry. That includes working conditions and employees receiving government assistance. I guess they could cut down on that last number by not hiring unwed mothers, not that that'd help anybody.

You see this constantly in person? I'd say there must be a serious problem with the management in that particular store. I've never seen or heard of anything like that happening around here.

If you mean you've seen it on the news, remember that they have their own agenda.

As to why, I doubt Wal-Mart employees organized this on their or even came up with the idea on their own. The UFCW and others like them are nursing a huge hard-on for Wal-Mart. Unionizing Wal-Mart would equal a giant, never-ending payday, kind of like selling a million time-shares at once. So, for them at least, it is all about the money.

You notice these employees aren't just getting a different job at a competing chain because that store and their treatment at it would be about the same.
. . .You are just coming off as the sort of guy that thinks it's wrong to let the disabled "ball-boy" onto the field and score a touchdown in the final seconds of the last game of the season. . .

I don't mean to, but there's a difference between feeling bad for Adam and dictating how someone should run their business.

Last edited:
I've worked for stores that employed handicapped workers.

None of them were as profoundly physically handicapped as Adam and all could perform the job they had.

there's a difference between feeling bad for Adam and dictating how someone should run their business.

Yes, I have worked with the handicapped before in my other career paths, and you accommodate their needs as best you can.

You're missing my big point. Regardless of how profoundly handicapped Adam may be, he was apparently "acceptable" for 10+ years at doing the job he was assigned. He was hired in his current condition 10+ years ago, and that was all "fine and dandy", but now they are "pulling the rug out from underneath him". And you forgot my comment that at least he wants to participate--unlike many able-bodied Americans.

You see this constantly in person? {employee protests} I'd say there must be a serious problem with the management in that particular store. I've never seen or heard of anything like that happening around here.

I have seen it in person in western PA, as well as on TV from other areas of the country--it is real--not just news reels. Some areas of the country are more desperate for $12/hr jobs, and others areas people could do better at their local fast-food franchises.

I'm done with this debate, and I'd hate to ever work for you. If I got into a car accident and got injured or got pregnant I guess I'd just have to be fired because I couldn't lift 50lbs anymore--even after 10 years of loyal service. And God forbid anyone should get old and not be able to do the same thing as a 20 year-old.

Back
Top Bottom