Cheap audio gear. Yes? No? Sometimes?

Do you buy cheap audio gear?

• Yes. I'm all about it.

Votes: 22 15.3%
  • Sometimes, but only after reading a rave review

Votes: 45 31.3%
  • Maybe, but I doubt it sticks for very long

Votes: 12 8.3%
  • No way. I don't want some cheap thing ruining my good stuff. Not worth it.

Votes: 28 19.4%
  • Price has nothing to do with my selections.

Votes: 51 35.4%
  • As a gift, I might.

Votes: 5 3.5%

• Total voters
Cheap is relative to financial resources. Its a measurement or comparison against them really. Or its a barometer to measure price relative in the market, against the competition.

When I was 14 years old I got a Pioneer SX3400 receiver on sale at Pacific Stereo. I saved a lot of birthday money and other funds to get it. It was "cheap" at $149. But to me is was other wordly expensive as this was in 1979. It was every penny I could muster. Today I would buy it out of my fun kitty and it would be cheap.

Last night I bought a used truck, it cost $15K. Compared to a new TOTL 1/2 ton truck its cheap because the later would cost $40K or more. To me $15K is a lot of money when you make say $20 an hour. Of course my priorities are a bit screwed up since I have a couple of $4K phono cartridges. I should invest more in a vehicle, but then again being cheap that way means I have more money for other things I like to spend money on. I like the truck a lot, but I don't like spending money on cars.

It is all a matter of perspective, and what resources you have available to you.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Last edited:
Well for 6 bucks .. it already met my minimum expectations .... not DOA! Set your goals low and they easy to meet! :)

I’m sorry you feel that way....

As a teen I ran the family gas station to take care of my family and rebuilt automobiles of special interest for a profit. I can’t even comprehend a minimal approach and I’m not pushing my preferences over yours. It’s the setting of ones goals low that is bewildering. I’ve found allot of great low tech stuff without making the items some kind of standard and I’m not trying to set your expectations for you. I’ve found allot of things working in perfect order for less than $10 that we’re once top of the line and the most expensive thing the manufacturer sold that year and so has so many on this site. Fact is that’s the whole point of it all for many, to find the best on the cheap and improve it themselves to make it better than when it was new.

I’m sorry you feel that way....
LOL naw it's not like. I tend to find a "hyperbolic phrase" for every occasion! For instance ....

I’ve found a lot of things working in perfect order for less than $10 ...
Soo by implication by paying $5.99 ... I paid to much?? :)

But I take your point and (Set your goals low) was meant in jest??? I've had my share of scores on the cheap! Walsh Ohm 2's, Nova 8b's, Sansui Sp1200's (which to my surprise I quite like ... $15 bucks for the pair) and my Mach One's for $40??? :)

And I dumpster dived to retrieve a pair of JBL 60l t's, with missing woofers and most likely blown tweeters?? And depending on what you read ... I should have left them where they were! But the cabins are nice so I dug em out. :)

And my $ 5.99 amp is already boxed up and on the pile of stuff, I'll find a use for ... someday?? Hardwiring it to my tablet is a pia! And I don't really like using the headphone jacket anyway. But hey ... it does work! :)

The next time, I'll hmm quadruple the expenditure and get one with Bluetooth! Audio is all about having fun. I did not intend to make a larger point??

So that said back to cheap stuff and hey maybe scores shouldn't count??? LA Scala's, for freaking free (yep that happened) it's in "Dollars and sense somewhere" kinda blows the curve. They were on the curb??? Lucky SOB! :)

I bought a pair of Polk T15 speakers last year because they were $50 on sale and looked cool. They don't sound like much on their own, but with a decent sub they should be worthwhile.

[QUOTE="Mister Pig, post: 12544389, member: 11121"]It is all a matter of perspective, and what resources you have available to you.[/QUOTE]

That sums it up pretty well, right there. Times and circumstances change. I have 4 vehicles, each of which cost more than the purchase price of my first house. The sum total value of my collection of audio gear is greater than the cost of my first house. 30+ years ago, if you'd have told me that I would spend $100K on a vehicle, or a couple thousand dollars on an amplifier, I'd have told you that you were on drugs. It just wasn't possible (or even fathomable) back then, but the times, they are a' changin'.

But then again, if you'd have told me that a coffee would be $6 or lunch at a fast-food dump would be $12, I'd have told you to "roll another one" and laugh at you. I still remember when I got my first $100 bill--it was a lot of money, then. Now (if you're paying cash), you'd better have a few of them on you to do just about anything. I get "free" tix to Steelers and Penguins games from a couple of my clients that are season ticket-holders, but when you factor in parking, food, and drinks, it still costs me a couple hundred bucks for two of us to go to a game.

So, yes, it is just a "matter of perspective".

Recently read this somewhere:

Better to get great quality (gear) at a reasonable price
than to get reasonable quality (gear) at a great price.

Unfortunately, being a cheapskate, I have tended to focus exclusively on the second instead of the first. But I am trying to add some of the first to the second approach. Both approaches have their place at times.

Last edited:
I bought a pair of Polk T15 speakers last year because they were $50 on sale and looked cool. They don't sound like much on their own, but with a decent sub they should be worthwhile.
With a decent sub, they should be in the ballpark?? Great price and they are New! I took a look on Amazon "mixed reviews" but the vast majority of owners seem to like them. With a decent sub I would think they pretty good??Let us know what you think?? :)

To power hungry for my little 5.99 amp, 8 watts max output and that would most likely be pushing it. Thrift store or yard sale is gonna be my best bet to find something inexpensive and high efficient they could drive?? Maybe there are more Sansui SP something or nother, being dumped at this year's church sale. :)

Recently read this somewhere:

Better to get great quality (gear) at a reasonable price
than to get reasonable quality (gear) at a great price.

Unfortunately, being a cheapskate, I have tended to focus exclusively on the second instead of the first. But I am trying to add some of the second to the first. Both approaches have their place at times.
The Dollars and sense thread shows that does happen! :)

With a decent sub, they should be in the ballpark?? Great price and they are New! I took a look on Amazon "mixed reviews" but the vast majority of owners seem to like them. With a decent sub I would think they pretty good??Let us know what you think?? :)

To power hungry for my little 5.99 amp, 8 watts max output and that would most likely be pushing it. Thrift store or yard sale is gonna be my best bet to find something inexpensive and high efficient they could drive?? Maybe there are more Sansui SP something or nother, being dumped at this year's church sale. :)

While solidly (very solidly built) they sound a little hollow, especially if you try to put some bass through them. It's not offensively bad though, stuffing them with some more polyfill would probably curb that. Rolled-off highs, not the most detail but with this size speaker it would probably sound really shrill and unpleasant if the highs weren't rolled off. I'd say they were comparable to some smaller British speakers from the 80s, Celestion DL4 and B&W DM100. Not immediately impactful but easy to listen to and a big ol' wide soundstage.

They sound best placed high and tilted down toward the listening position. I have them on some pro audio tripod stands in my bedroom, spread maybe 8 feet apart, 6 feet high and pointed down at the bed at about a 70 degree angle with just the slightest hint of toe-in. This setup is basically for sex music so unfortunately it won't get used as often as I'd like. ;)

While solidly (very solidly built) they sound a little hollow, especially if you try to put some bass through them. It's not offensively bad though, stuffing them with some more polyfill would probably curb that. Rolled-off highs, not the most detail but with this size speaker it would probably sound really shrill and unpleasant if the highs weren't rolled off. I'd say they were comparable to some smaller British speakers from the 80s, Celestion DL4 and B&W DM100. Not immediately impactful but easy to listen to and a big ol' wide soundstage.
Well they certainly appear to be a solid candidate in the cheap new gear category! And your assessment seems to be pretty spot on! :
https://www.audiorumble.com/polk-audio-t15-review/

Rolled off and or muted highs, seems to be a common refrain?? Or you know perhaps maybe they are just mellow??? I don't have any British speakers myself, but from I remember from back in the day ... I quite liked a few of them. So not bad company to be in, I would say.

The stuffing with poly seems easy enough and good idea! And honestly I just don't get ... not using a sub myself. I would imagine the things are struggle trying to make realist bass down to 45hz??? I like to let small speakers do what they do best and I use a sub to take care of the rest. Most likely they would be much different speakers with a sub?? Still gonna be "mellow" on the top end ... but maybe that's not a bad thing?? :)

Bought all of this today for $200.
The MCS turntable already had a fresh Audio Technica stylus. Couple shots of Deoxit in the speed and pitch controls was all it took.

I'll go through the rest a piece at a time.
20190315_110019.jpg 20190315_110024.jpg 20190315_110031.jpg 20190315_110045.jpg

Cheap is relative to financial resources. Its a measurement or comparison against them really. Or its a barometer to measure price relative in the market, against the competition.

Last night I bought a used truck, it cost $15K. Compared to a new TOTL 1/2 ton truck its cheap because the later would cost $40K or more. To me $15K is a lot of money when you make say $20 an hour. Of course my priorities are a bit screwed up since I have a couple of $4K phono cartridges. I should invest more in a vehicle, but then again being cheap that way means I have more money for other things I like to spend money on. I like the truck a lot, but I don't like spending money on cars.

It is all a matter of perspective, and what resources you have available to you.

Cheers
Mister Pig

You are one smart pig!
Buying a nice used truck is smart Mr.Pig everyone understands that buying a new car is a horrible investment...One loses thousands of dollars the moment one drives off the lot.
It's all about priorities and what makes you happy.
My take is that most folks work hard for their money and one should spend what disposable income they have on what ever makes them happy. We only get one life (Unless you're a buddhist and believe in reincarnation or are a cat) So make the most of it and enjoy it .You can't take it with you unless you have them sew pockets in to your casket.
Me I am having a TOL Mac tube system built into my coffin LOL!
Cheers!
PQ

When I was 14 years old I got a Pioneer SX3400 receiver on sale at Pacific Stereo. I saved a lot of birthday money and other funds to get it. It was "cheap" at $149. But to me is was other wordly expensive as this was in 1979. It was every penny I could muster. Today I would buy it out of my fun kitty and it would be cheap.

Cheers
Mister Pig

Nothing more needs to be said..

If your 'on the road' - cheap, small as possible, & light ($150 max).

It will get broken, given away... or probably stolen. Road Life.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom