Luxman C-5000A preamp.

Well I looked at brisbane temps in the am were to be 75f ish... SLEEP??? You got the patience of a saint, mate! :D I'm pulling your leg.. mostly.. but dang I'd so tempted A lot of mates down under.. not many using air conditioning. :D
I don't like aircon at home. I prefer to use the breeze to remove heat. Hence doors and windows open until it is time to sleep. In May it cools down. We are getting close. I'm looking forward to hearing this preamp. Very much. I don't say that about many preamps.

I honestly thought I would never see a C-5000, let alone own one.

Last edited:
I honestly thought I would never see a C-5000, let alone own one.
LOL... Rare as hens teeth. Better dim bulb test it to be sure... let the caps get some charge up. You better post up results (threads die off) or I'll hound you! :D

LOL... Rare as hens teeth. Better dim bulb test it to be sure... let the caps get some charge up. You better post up results (threads die off) or I'll hound you! :D
I don't dim bulb test. I plug it in. If it works, it works. If it blows up, so be it. However, I bought this unit from HFiDo. They wouldn't sell it to me unless it was working.

I'm trying to archive any good info about this preamp. I'm also going to quote the text of the article in case it disappears, as things internet often do. There are obvious mistakes in the article. TdP isn't Italian. He is English born in Nigeria. At least this guy has used the C-5000A and give us his impressions:

https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=&sl=th&tl=en&u=http://whathifi.whatgroupmag.com/old-school-vintage-sound-luxman-c-5000a/

Mentioning the name LUXMAN. There are no known audio players. Many models that somebody still desires ... but for "C-5000A" many people may not even know that There is this version in the LUXMAN directory.
Those who are over 40 years old must have known about the reputation, reputation and reputation of LUXMAN through the ears through the eyes, more or less. But if being a generation like me 50 years or more, then knowing that 'LUXMAN' - not unusual - since the era of the tube sound has been old. Until being able to rise to the directory for many generations Until the change from the lamp to the booming era of solid-state 'LUXMAN' still maintains that the sound of the second is second to none.
Anyone who is passionate about LUXMAN, when searching deep into the history, will know that LUXMAN is a source of quality engineers in many industries, from the Atsushi Miura in collaboration with Masami Ishiguro. Went out to establish as "Leben"
But very important until it is remembered For the true fans of LUXMAN ... In the past, the 'Lux Corporation of Japan' had a person named Tim de Paravicini, the best Italian tube designer. Which has been called the King of Tubes and is behind the scenes as the chief amplifier designer of the '70s period, about 4 years before this "Tim de Paravicini" would have established his own "EAR" later How are you?
Of course, "Tim de Paravicini" has left "legacy" in the design of the amplifier for LUXMAN and one of them is " C-5000A " which can be considered as a prototype - which is further expanded. Inherited from "C-1000", the ultimate solid-state pre-amp that Tim de Paravicini had designed for the 50th anniversary celebration of LUXMAN.
C-1000 is very popular. From both domestic and international markets Until later developed Which was planned to be "likely" to be a prototyped C-1000x model designed in 1975 ... but then the fate destined for LUXMAN to decide to cancel the production of the C-1000x first (in addition, the C-1010 version was later released, which actually counted as a minor version Because some functions have been eliminated And set the price to be more affordable than C-1000, about twenty thousand yen)
Until in 1979, "C-5000A" appeared. Under development that is far more advanced than the "C-5000", the prototyped prototypes that were designed at the same time as the C-1000x (which did not know for any reason why LUXMAN decided to cancel production C -1000x at that time In spite of having a "prototype" already placed) and still delaying the release of the C-5000 version as well. Until the production was actually sold in the next 4 years, under the model name C-5000A, as though he had never produced the C-5000 before
appearance
TheVintageKnob.org explains the "C-5000A" that is the most expensive pre-amp during the "classic" era of LUXMAN (355,000 yen or about 1,400 US dollars) ... expensive More than the C-1000 that Tim de Paravicini has participated in the design If going to "C-5000A" may not have the look - look as if it were if the C-5000 was released in 1975 As originally planned And it may be possible that if producing "C-5000" is actually sold Should be too high in that period Until having decided to delay
But as LUXMAN decided to bring the C-5000 to the production line in the next 4 years, it had to be improved - developed many parts until "different" from the original prototyped while changing the model name to " C-5000A "and due to be released during the same year as the L-58A - one of LUXMAN's classic amplifier amplifiers," C-5000A "looks and looks or looks like In the same way as the L-58A
But if looking deep inside the device, it will be found that "C-5000A" - is different - very much compared to the pre-amp in the same era. With the layout of various double-sided printed circuit boards in the manner of separating separate boards for each sector of each channel directly. (For ease of service And help reduce the interference of the electric circuit in the form of At the same time, it also uses the Duo-Beta Circuitry, which is a proprietary proprietary LUXMAN developed and recognized. In the same quality as the name given to L-58A
In addition to the unique differences in the use of separate boards, the power sector used in the "C-5000A" is also a modern high-speed constant-voltage regulated power supply by using a toroidal transformer. Large, which separates the secondary winding into 2 sets for the left and right channels independently. If looking at the size of the toroidal transformer used in the C-5000A, then it should be appropriate to use in the power. Amp size is driving 2 × 25 watts ... but this LUXMAN is used in preamp Thus making the power supply ability to say "redundant" really
Moreover, the equipment used also has a very good selection. Since various switches are all non-magnetic-material, all, non-polar film capacitors, including tantalum resistor. The volume control button uses the highest grade conductive plastic volume control of the Alps. Which is important for LUXMAN to set the selling price "C-5000A" very high - the highest in the preamp mass And was regarded as the masterpiece of LUXMAN during the '70s
Audio performance
Actually, the desire for "C-5000A" came to my possession. Due to the uniqueness of the unique look And gives a very good sound quality beyond the price of the L-58A, which is derived from the Duo-Beta Circuitry circuit used in this integrated amplifier. (And continued on many different models), therefore, made it possible to find out if LUXMAN had made a separate set of this style or not, because it needed "higher" performance from integrated amplifiers ... so I met with "C-5000A"
... Of course, "C-5000A" has a pair of power amplifiers that LUXMAN has designed to fit perfectly. That is the M-4000A, which also creates a lot of names as well. But for personal reasons I didn't order power This amp is used in conjunction with the C-5000A, intended to be paired with the USHER R1.5 power amplifier (the horse outside the eyes of anyone else) that I was very impressed with.
"C-5000A + R1.5" acts as a reciprocal. The sound quality that is heard through the System 10 DMT II speaker of TANNOY by using the Emotion LP of Clear Audio together with MC DL-103LC II and step-up transformer (SUT), nicknamed "Green Pot" of Altec / Peerless goes in a way full of succulent water and has a self-contained flesh. It is a sound that is rich in vitality.
Get to know the airy, listen, warm, relaxed (relaxed), enjoy, feel "in" into music and music that is listening It is also enriched with impressive little details. Clear image Split into positions that are not overlapping in the layered sound stage, along with the rapid trajectory And the amber of the molecule In the atmosphere, a little echo is clearly indicated. The sound shifted to move the chair. Paper flip sound The breath-sighing sound is clear.
"C-5000A + R1.5" delivers glittering details The result - straight away - right here - right there, suddenly in a wide, deep and deep sound stage Along with the tangible sound territory Clearly identify the perimeter Including natural realism in sound scale Every sound that is heard - not just "sound" only if you can feel the existence of each sound. Which is the sound of a spirit with breath, even the chorus of the chorus Can almost distinguish it from the individual sounds of each person - each person - as a person The resonance of each voice is long. And able to convey the light reflection of the acoustic characteristics Including air condition within the concert atmosphere The hall was very realistic. A little echo is being purely indicative.
Must admit that "C-5000A" makes 'R1.5' indicate the sound details come out very well Unlike when used in conjunction with my good eXclusive C3a preamp, it's also well-equipped. "The voice personality" that is sweet, soft, tender, inviting, pleasing to listen to, without slow or sluggish laughter and fullness of power. The impact is heavy, both tight and dramatic. Which is not only "powerful", but also manifesting "dynamic" as well as sudden and continuous flow
Conclude
... with a price of around 1,400 dollars of C-5000A when it was first sold in 1979 Until 1981 Until now I can order at the end of forty thousand In second hand condition There are a few wrinkles on the wood cover. But what will be returned from listening to confirm that I was really amazed. Compared to the "life expectancy" of over 40 years of the "C-5000A" ... Try to read the in-depth details of the C-5000A on the audio-database.com website. Look, then I know that "not ordinary" really.

Last edited:
Part way through the rebuild videos. I like the way you are posting your websearch findings about this preamp as this search is something that I do for most of the decent gear that crosses the threshold into my crib. Now when I have a third opportunity to buy one and do, I can just come here to gather all the info I would collect with a long www search.

Those Russian rebuild videos are more like a dismantle/clean/repair/replace/revamp/upgrade/reassemble.

I don't watch many videos of that type. I was curious to watch the Russian's C-5000A work because I know so little about the C-5000A. The pictures are always the same: Front panel. Back panel. Top lid removed showing transformer and vertical circuit boards. This Russian guy pulls the C-5000 apart before your eyes. Dismantles switches, dismantles relays dismantle bloody everything. And cleans every bit. In the process he shows us everything that is there to be shown and tellingly, he points out the heroic efforts Luxman made with this preamp. Luxman made the effort to source the highest possible quality component for each place on the circuit. The Russian gives us a better education on this preamp than any other component I've come across yet.

Last edited:
The front panel removed view is scary indeed for many that have been inside gear. If I owned one of these those videos would be dl-ed to two drives because Luxman manuals won't show how that stuff goes back together.

Last edited:
I think that an intelligent individual with a smidgin of repair ability, but not much more than that, would soon realise that the apparent simplicity of the vertical modular circuit layout, is countered by the complexity of the remote switching arrangement. Overlooking let's say labelling of all of those remote leads, would be a nightmare. That Russian guy's comprehensive video series is a fitting tribute to the designers who commited to releasing a preamp of the stature of the C-5000A.

Last edited:
Shadow you have made it clear in this thread that had it been your opportunity to purchase this preamp at that price(around $1000 US) you would have made that purchase. Unlike you, I had never seen a C-5000A. It was all about timing and the price for me. I know that they have sold for less but $1000 aint a king's ransom. I love the Kenwood EW 700C and The Yamaha C2x had a stunning phono stage(take the signal out from the tape loop). I feel that this preamp will leave those two in the dust. That would be no easy feat.

Last edited:
A long way down the page, member audio39 says the following:

https://www.vinylengine.com/turntable_forum/viewtopic.php?t=18707

"The 5C50 pre is a much better pre then the C-1000, beautifully built and excellent sound. The C-300 is also an excellent performer.

The C-5000a is the cream of the crop, it was actually intended as the stable mate to your M-4000. I own one of these pre's and can attest to the sound quality...the build quality is really something to behold (check it out on TVK).

If you choose to venture down the tube pre path the CL-35 is a solid performer, although if you're lucky and willing to drop some serious coin the CL-40 (or CL-360 after Alpine took over) is the one to get.

I run a Luxman M-05 with my C-5000a, after 30 years in this hobby I've gone back to the beginning and I'm enjoying music again...enough listening to the gear.

Good luck with your Luxman journey, it's a good one.

Rick.

Some of the engineers who were salarymen for Luxman at the time of classic designs like the (X)000A series components include individuals who left to form their own companies. Like Atsushi Miura and Masami Ishiguro moving on from Luxman and founding Air Tight. Taku Hyodo left Luxman to form Leben. There is also speculation that ideas formulated by Tim de Paravicini but never released or never going further than prototype, were incorporated in later designs.

Mind you Tim d P said the Japanese tube designs were the product of conservative designers.

Last edited:
Mind you Tim d P said the Japanese tube designs were the product of conservative designers.
Well he shot conservative out of the water with the 8045G tubes in the MB-3045 amps, run at the ragged edge of distruction. Seems they were GREAT sounding for about 3 months. Sure am glad there were plans to use other common output tubes in those amps from early on.

Last edited:
The front panel removed view is scary indeed for many that have been inside gear. If I owned one of these those videos would be dl-ed to two drives because Luxman manuals won't show how that stuff goes back together.
I haven't done that. That is an extremely good suggestion. I need to capture these videos.

Luxman_81-82_05.jpg

A sale in Poland. The guy got about $3000US for this C-5000A. Someone wanted one real bad.

https://translate.google.com/transl...gro.pl/oferta/luxman-c-5000a-i7127540758.html

Quote from the text:

For sale, I am allocating an absolutely unique preamplifier of the legendary Luxman brand. It is the highest and probably the best preamplifier of this company.
The preamplifier is kept in perfect condition. He was only in one hands since the news.
On board there is a great headphone amplifier with adjustable sensitivity and an excellent phono preamplifier with the option of connecting an optional transformer for MC cartridges.
The MM section has a capacity and resistance control. It's hard to find a rival for him. The device was designed at a time when the turntable was the main carrier, not just an addition.
Pre has extensive sound color correction, and can be omitted. Correction works great with wideband speakers like Goodmans or concentric Altec Lansing, Tannoy ...
An absolute sensation of this device is that it is the original version intended for Europe (240V).
The preamplifier front does not have the slightest blemish. Wooden housing in excellent condition, without upholstery or deep scratches, etc. It can be refreshed to perfection (at the moment full of original).
High gain (20V) will drive each power amplifier. The role of the volume control is of course the large black ALPS RK40312, which is one of the best potentiometers that have been made for audio applications.
In summary, Luxman C-5000A is a beautiful and outstanding device. Unique on a global scale. The M-4000 / M-6000 power amplifier was dedicated to the set. I worked with Sansui BA-5000.

Back
Top Bottom