2017 Wish....New McIntosh Vac Tube Integrated Amp

JWJW

Bun E. Carlos
Dear Ron C. and Mc,
ANY chance of new McIntosh tube integrated coming out? I believe the last one was the MA2275.
Pretty please... :)

I was looking for the same (with other Brands also)...Analog with no DAC or Digital inputs. Not sure what direction Mc
is going as looks to me more Main Stream.

So I am picking up a PrimaLuna DiaLogue Premium HP Integrated on the 14th. I will have a
Thread on the Unboxing.

Not likely. Sales volume on the MA2275 was reportedly not very good. If you look around, you can still find the MA2275s.

Shame....
Cary, Audio Research, Prima Luna, Rogue, Luxman, Quad, Balanced Audio Technologies, Triode, Ayon, Raven Audio, VAC, Conrad Johnson all offer units and Mc can't figure it out. :(

I do recall reading in another forum that Mac has no plans for another integrated tube amp. The last one did not sell like hotcakes.

With the resurgence of tubes in high-end gear I wouldn't rule it out sometime, but as others have stated it doesn't appear to be anytime soon unfortunately. You'll just have to get the MP1100 + C1100 + MC275 stack :)

I was looking for the same (with other Brands also)...Analog with no DAC or Digital inputs. .
I was looking for the same in a headphone amp and ended up going with another brand.

I'm looking for a new DAC this year, Even though they are under consideration, I don't need the preamp features of the D150 or D1100. At the moment I'm leaning towards a tube DAC (with no preamp functionality) from another manufacturer. Even though I always look to the Mac line of products first, my last two purchases have been non-Mac unfortunately.

I have sort of a skewed opinion about integrated amps. If you can't build one with a ll the features people want and the power required to drive your target buyers speakers with the quality required at a reasonable price for that segment of the of potential buyers, then don't. I have heard the SS integrated amps and they are remarkably close to the separates at the same power rating. at a price and size that fills a demand. But how do you combine a C-2600 and two 240's on one chassis. A MA2102 would fill a nitch a lot easier than another <MA2275. In addition you could really tell the difference between a MA2275 and a 275 with a 2300. The two units were just more revealing. They didn't have more of anything, quantity, but the quality was better, especially the phono section. I wonder if Mac is investigating the KT120. I'm sure they have and wonder what they have found. Maybe its time for a MC 2401, too?. How about a reissue of a MC 3500 that will put out 500 watts. And yes keep the 19 inch rack mountable chassis with the metal anodized gold front panel. How about bringing Roger Russell back for a New ML-1E, a new XR290 or an improved version of his ISD. Build the amp or amps and processor into the speaker and make the entire system digital from source to amps. And for folks who want Dacs, why not make the Dac section of pre-amps a plug in card like the plug in tuner option? Then you could update your DAC periodically without replacing the entire pre-amp. Wouldn't it be fabulous and convenient if you could up date your C50 to a C-52 by just replacing a card. Or Have a slot to plug a new DAC card in the C-22 III. Lets see if I had a MX150 and a C-48 with the pass through option could I add a D-150 as a Pass through on the C-48, too? Wouldn't just be easier to have a plug in slot on the C-49?.

Last edited:
If you have a slot to allow a newer dac to be exchanged, how will you be able to sell the customer the next generation of a preamp?

McIntosh is catering to customers with disposable income especially DINKS. Therefore plugin and upgradable are not an option.

They are not cheap, how is the sound?
I have two. A Lampizator Euforia DSD and a maxed out Golden Atlantic. The Euforia is an absolute bargain on the used market (I paid $1100 for mine) as it only accepts a DSD stream. But, if you have it connected to a computer and use something like Roon or JRiver, you can get the software to output a DSD signal and not only will it be accepted by the Euforia, but it also sounds amazing. The DSD engine in the Euforia is the same as the higher end units. But, unfortunately the Euforia is no longer sold (perhaps it was cannibalizing sales of the higher end units...). Tubes are also a bit of a pain to get to.

The Golden Atlantic is about the same price as the D1100, but after having both in my house for a week I decided on the GA. The D1100 would (and did) look great next to the rest of my Mac gear, but in the end I couldn't let the GA go. I've always been a big vinyl fan (I treated digital as something to only be used for background music or on-the-go), but I almost ended up selling all my vinyl and turntable after getting the GA. Then I upgraded the turntable and cart to a similar level, and all was good again. If I absolutely had to let one go though, it would be the turntable. Especially as I seem to be doing a lot of listening these days with Roon Radio + Tidal. Hope that helps.

Excellent. Lampizator has several very nice DACs. Would love to hear the "Golden Gate" DAC.

http://lampizator.eu/Fikus/DAC_GOLDEN_GATE.html

All I can think of when I see that...

farnhaan-hed-2017.jpg

Back
Top Bottom