Little story about ONKYO

Can't tell any stories about Onkyo's Customer Service. I stick to Marantz for my AVR's, but the main reason I haven't had a chance to deal with Onkyo's CS people, is that back in the mid 80's my dad bought for our house a new Onkyo TX-45 receiver. My father has moved twice after that, and the TX-45 has followed him everywhere, it has seen it's share of almost daily use, and that darn thing has not broken yet, it still plays fine. By now at least a cap should have blown, but hasn't happened yet.

Similar experience here. My TX-NR709 had the infamous HDMI board failure. An issue that had been going on for several years. Finally Onkyo issued a recall and my 709 was covered Onkyo sent me a box and the turn around was about 10 working days. It has been working without a hitch every since.

Ditto to Transmaster above...I just got my Tx-NR709 back yesterday from Onkyo and they did all the work for free including the shipping! Now if I can only remember where I put the remote...!
Ps: They also fixed the light ring thing around the volume knob!

With zero knowledge or experience with a recent Onkyo AVR it makes me wonder if they might be overbuilding subsequent models to try to rebuild their somewhat damaged reputation?

The biggest problem that Onkyo had was not admitting they had a problem to begin with. Had they admitted at the beginning there was a problem and pointed the finger to the real cause, one of their parts suppliers they would have been hero's. I am sure State Side bean counters had a hand in this in Japan the relationship you have with your customers in sacred

I agree with Transmaster. I've avoided Onkyo products for exactly this reason for years and this repair program helps heal that immensely!

I disagree with Japan not having a say in this. I worked on copiers for 9 years, Toshiba being one brand. I remember in training the instructor told a story about having to slam on the brakes on his car in the middle of NYC rush hour traffic with two Japanese engineers in the back. He basically told them he wasn't moving another inch until they fessed up to a problem with one of the models. They finally fessed up after we had exhausted every polite inquiry into the problem.
Another joke was concerning Konica engineers. It went something like, if they don't have a solution to a problem then as far as they are concerned there is no problem.

I disagree with Japan not having a say in this. I worked on copiers for 9 years, Toshiba being one brand. I remember in training the instructor told a story about having to slam on the brakes on his car in the middle of NYC rush hour traffic with two Japanese engineers in the back. He basically told them he wasn't moving another inch until they fessed up to a problem with one of the models. They finally fessed up after we had exhausted every polite inquiry into the problem.
Another joke was concerning Konica engineers. It went something like, if they don't have a solution to a problem then as far as they are concerned there is no problem.

I am sure this is true State Side not sure about back in Japan anymore. I do know the relationship those of us in the Amateur Radio community have with radio companies we deal with directly in Japan is very good.

Great that they are taking care of folks and supporting their products. I have a Denon 2 Ch receiver that shuts itself of after about 30 seconds of static. Sent an e mail to Denon about the problem - never got a reply. No more Denon for me! Now it's Yamaha, Onkyo, sony, samsung, etc

You didn't say how old you Denon is but one thing that has happened is modern audio gear is they have a repair half life. the first half the designated factory repair centers handle the work, the 2nd half ii is don't call us and we will not call you. In other words you are on your own. Given the cost of bench time these days and the way modern electronic equipment is designed so much of it is not economical to repair.

The way Onkyo is handling the HDMI recall is they have replacement HDMI boards that have been reworked. So the defective board comes out of your unit and a reworked replacement is installed. The board that came out of your unit is sent to where ever these boards are being reworked fixed and returned to be install in other returned Onkyo's. I would not be at all surprised to find out the rework facility is a back in China.

bought the Denon about 6 yr ago - actually i may owe them a debt of gratitude for their ignorance in not returning my e mail - i swore them off and bought a Yamaha integrated amp - 2 ch music now sounds so much better than with the denon.

Regarding disposable electronic gear the other lesson learned is get the cheapest item available because it'll be trash in a couple years - costs more to fix it than to buy a new one.

However, my Onkyo AVR i got in 2006 is still going strong, sounds perfectly fine for movies and the occasional CD in the TV room.

Got stood up last night by prospective renters:mad:! On the way home, stopped in the GW to see whats up. Spotted some new shelf fodder...an Onkyo Tx-nr414 5ch. avr. @ 6.99. Don't need it.....but thought to call a buddy to see if he had tunes in his machine shop yet. Go ahead and grab it he says; can't get any reception with his little portable, so nutt'in but machine noise all day for about 5 employees:thumbsdown:. Get it home and start testing and find no sound output from any source. Powers on OK, display works, relays click.....not a peep:(. I have 16 receivers right now so I can still hook up friend with sound.

FFW to this morn. Figured I give it another shot, ( only glanced at the manual PDF to find the reset pro.). Still no-go. Saw some forums talk about firmware stuff, and stumbled onto the Onkyo help forum and see they have a number listed for support. Though what the hey, maybe I'll talk to a tech and hell have an easy push button fix.... sat on hold for a bit, hung up, called back, had the automated option of leaving a call back number.....so I did.

Half hour later staffer calls, gets some info, told the spiel, just wanted to know if there is an easy fix, if not it goes back, no problem. Well..... they are sending a box to ship it back, fixing and returning at NO COST:beerchug:

Dang, wasn't looking for anything along those lines, but....I'm game if they are.

How do you like them apples? Do you think they care about their name?
Wonder if I can do the same with the TX-NR414 I just picked up, it seems to have the same issue. I haven't tried doing the factory reset yet, but I did some searching and this seems to be common with Onkyo AVR's.

Wonder if I can do the same with the TX-NR414 I just picked up, it seems to have the same issue. I haven't tried doing the factory reset yet, but I did some searching and this seems to be common with Onkyo AVR's.
It may be past that window of warranty repair. I think it ended in 2018, but can't hurt to call and ask them.

I'll try reset first and see what happens. I've read they are known for faulty HDMI boards, and I'm not using or intending to use HDMI anyway.

If it don't work out, I'm not out much because I only paid 15 bucks for it.

The Onkyo HDMI/Network repair program ended on 12/31/2018. Too bad, as I'm sure there are still dead AVR's out there, with this issue. Boat anchors now...

Crap, I have one that I meant to call about but never did... great... :rolleyes:

I think I'll give up on the one I have, I've tried everything I can think of doing.

Did factory reset, tried Direct mode, turned all HDMI sources off, tried using headphones, set it to FM, no sound at all.

Back
Top Bottom