Dynaco sca35 recapped.....400.00 or best offer

Jcbluesman

Newbie here with more newbie questions. I just ran across a dynaco sca35 recapped by a experienced service tech, says 30 yrs doing so, and has it listed for 400 bucks obo. Not in mint condition, for sure. Stated as running top notch. I have not contacted him, and here's my question. Should I bother with this integrated amp, and if so, what is its value, and what should I offer the guy. It's been listed for over 2 months so nobody local is interested and it for $400. Basically, I don't work on them and I was wondering if anyone knew anything about this amp and that it was worth pursuing. Thanks for any information you may have.

There are many fans of that unit. Google, search AK and you can do a bunch of reading and decide if you are interested. About 17.5 watts per channel so you want efficient speakers. Working ones go for $250 to $600 on ebay -- depending on condition and whether restored. $300 to $350 recapped would be good deal if in decent cosmetic condition. Less depending on what you mean by "not mint." There are all kinds of mods you can do to it.

What speakers do you plan to pair it with?

There are many fans of that unit. Google, search AK and you can do a bunch of reading and decide if you are interested. About 17.5 watts per channel so you want efficient speakers. Working ones go for $250 to $600 on ebay -- depending on condition and whether restored. $300 to $350 recapped would be good deal if in decent cosmetic condition. Less depending on what you mean by "not mint." There are all kinds of mods you can do to it.

What speakers do you plan to pair it with?
BA a100's. Thanks. I'll read on it and maybe offer 300 if it would be something I'd like. I'm checking all my local options and I might go tube a lot sooner than I thought I would. Thanks again

SCA35 will work with Boston Acoustic A100 in a small room, but that is not ideal. I would not bother if you are not also going to look for speakers with efficiencies in mid-90s. There can be deals had on those, but they are hard to find. I had a pair of Coral speakers (paid $50) with horns that work well with tubes and a pair of Klipsch Tangent 500s -- which sound great, have same drivers as Heresy 2 -- but are worth only about $150. I'm sure there are other low budget high efficiency options, so do some research.

SCA35 will work with Boston Acoustic A100 in a small room, but that is not ideal. I would not bother if you are not also going to look for speakers with efficiencies in mid-90s. There can be deals had on those, but they are hard to find. I had a pair of Coral speakers (paid $50) with horns that work well with tubes and a pair of Klipsch Tangent 500s -- which sound great, have same drivers as Heresy 2 -- but are worth only about $150. I'm sure there are other low budget high efficiency options, so do some research.
Yeah, this is why posted this. With my budget I'm at about at my limit at 300, and it's either speakers or integrated for now. Thanks, I'm going to drop the tube amp thing for now. That one is pretty old anyway, would like to go newer

This might not be time for you, but "newer" doesn't mean that much when it comes to tube amps. They don't build them like they used to. Dynaco transformers are good quality. What is there newer that you'd want?

This might not be time for you, but "newer" doesn't mean that much when it comes to tube amps. They don't build them like they used to. Dynaco transformers are good quality. What is there newer that you'd want?
I figured tubes would also move along with technology. I was thinking something from the 60's was pretty old. I'll have to reconsider concerning age + condition. I need to find out how much the guy who refurbished the dynaco will stand behind it. May be a good move?, might be to soon for tubes. A lot of amps will be an upgrade from my onkyo tx80. It's alright for an entertainment receiver though, but I want to hear a more honest mix, the way the producer produced it, Thanks

Go to the tube forum and spend some time reading.[/QUOTE
Yeah, sounds good. I'm hot and heavy for a new receiver/integrated now. Onkyo was a good get your feet wet 30.00 dollar starter. Thanks. How would Yamaha NS-670's (200.00)be with this dynaco? Man, I can't even believe I want to persue this, lol. Problem is, I have the dime to drop. Just an unplanned drop. It's fun considering though.

Back
Top Bottom