Boston Acoustics HD9 sound and value?

metalmando

How are the HD9s? I have a lead on a pair for $100.00 (seems high to me). They are minty looking. How do they compare to A40, 60, etc?

I know this line- to a point. Give me a little flexability with sizes, except for the HD5, of which I know exactly how big it is.

The HD9s are bigger than the A-40 and A-60, closer to the A-150 in size/design (it's a 3 way design, or at least a 2-way with passive).

The HD-5 is the size of the A-40.

The HD-6, dunno if one exists.

I think the HD-7 seems to be the size of an A-60. Maybe A-70. Never seen one in person.

The HD8 closer to the A70 in size, possibly creeping up to A-100 size. Looks to be deeper, but not much taller, if at all, and not as wide.

The HD9 is a three-way, and was meant to be more like the A150. Or, if indeed it's a 8" passive, 6" woofer and dome tweeter as Orion has 'em listed, an improved version of the A120 (which wasn't much of a success for BA, and not widely loved).

$100 is a good price, but not a steal. The HD line was the progression of the A line, and from what I gather, similar in sound.

HD-9s for $100. Totally worth it. Better if you get 'em for $75 or so.

Thanks, Delihaus!

Indeed they are two-way with passive, about 30-40% larger than A40. I tried a search before asking this question....what purpose does a passive radiator serve?

The passive radiator is to allow more bass to be produced, over a sealed cabinet, without the use of a traditional port "hole".

Polk Monitor 7s used this with fantastic results- so did EPI and Genesis.

For some reason, the BA A120 didn't share the same good fortune as the afformentioned.

I suspect the HD9 is a marked improvement over the A120, though.

Pulled the trigger!

I bought the HD9 pair...well, actually traded a piece of guitar gear. Wow, what a sound these little guys make. The voices are directly in front of me and the bass is rich, but not tubby or thumpy. I know now what a passive radiator does<g>!
I think I like these better than my Large Advents or my EPI T/E100s. Is that blasphemy or am I just enamored with the "new kids"?

That's been my experience with Boston Acoustic speakers. I've got (or had at one point) A-150, A-100, A-70, T-830, CR8 and they all sound really good.

I enjoy my A-150s better than the Large Advents and EPI 100 although with the EPIs it's mainly a matter of much better bass extension.

Alan

Boy I tell ya the ole A120 keeps gettin' dumped on. Personal opinion is that it is better than it's reputation...by far. Then again I've only heard a few thousand speakers in my life. Enjoy the HD9's.

I have a pair of the HD9's and personally like them better than my A100. My A150's are better yet. The cabs on mine are a little beat up but they sound great and they are a lot smaller than either of the other two.

Steve

Glad you got them!

Of close to 50 pair of speakers I've owned, the BA 150s and 200s are a couple pairs I'm not itching to get rid of any time soon. They're in my top 6, so far.

The HD9s are bigger than the A-40 and A-60, closer to the A-150 in size/design

I'm a little confused about this. I'm looking at some Bostons that are a little over 20" tall, and the seller claims they are the model HD9. Is that right?

Close, but no cigar.....

I know this line- to a point. Give me a little flexability with sizes, except for the HD5, of which I know exactly how big it is.

The HD9s are bigger than the A-40 and A-60, closer to the A-150 in size/design (it's a 3 way design, or at least a 2-way with passive).

The HD-5 is the size of the A-40.

The HD-6, dunno if one exists.

I think the HD-7 seems to be the size of an A-60. Maybe A-70. Never seen one in person.

The HD8 closer to the A70 in size, possibly creeping up to A-100 size. Looks to be deeper, but not much taller, if at all, and not as wide.

The HD9 is a three-way, and was meant to be more like the A150. Or, if indeed it's a 8" passive, 6" woofer and dome tweeter as Orion has 'em listed, an improved version of the A120 (which wasn't much of a success for BA, and not widely loved).

$100 is a good price, but not a steal. The HD line was the progression of the A line, and from what I gather, similar in sound.

HD-9s for $100. Totally worth it. Better if you get 'em for $75 or so.

The HD5 is marginally smaller than the A40, & used a smaller woofer. The HD7's cabinet is marginally larger (as in small fractions of an inch) than the A40, but has a larger woofer. In models larger than the A40 & HD7, comparisons are harder to make due to the differently sized cabinets. In higher numbered models above the A40, 'A' series speakers were wide & shallow, while 'HD' series speakers had approximately equal width and depth (more 'towerish'?). To my eye, HD series cabinets appear to be less solidly constructed & more cheaply finished than the older 'A' series. OTOH, the crossovers are much more easily serviced on 'HD' series speakers.

To the OP: Congratulations. I'm glad you like your new speakers.

I have had a pair of HD-7's in circulation now since 1991. Currently performing duty as home office computer speakers driven by the fun Accurian 25 watt/ch integrated from RatShack. :banana: never had a problem with surrounds, etc.

Yank

Boston HD10's (in this case) are really good speakers. Deceptive in their size and weight. I picked these up a couple years ago and just last night finished refoaming the passive units in them. For some strange reason, the surrounds on the passives were the first to go! Probably indicative of the material used. For speakers that are from the 80's I'd guess, the foam on the drivers is fine! Now that the passives are fixed, they sound great! I have them hooked up to a Pioneer SA-9500 as we speak. They won't handle all that unit puts out but more than you might think! Great speakers for a kids first pair, bedroom, office patio, etc.

I had a pair of A150's once and never should have let them go! These are the newer version and I can't think of a good reason to 'dis them. Interesting that the old and new are the same sensitivity! (90db)

I put a couple pics up from the phone to try and help all y'all out! It would be confusing if one didn't know the old from the new.

(I have no idea why these pics didn't rotate but you have enough to get an idea.)

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 151
  • photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 230
  • photo(5).jpg
    photo(5).jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 144
  • photo(17).jpg
    photo(17).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 176
  • photo(7).jpg
    photo(7).jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 148
Last edited:
Here are some shot of the ones that got away! (went to the DC area)

Whoever bought them....if you're still out there I'll buy them back!!!

Attachments

• DSC_0009.jpg
    DSC_0009.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC_0010.jpg
    DSC_0010.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 117
  • DSC_0008.jpg
    DSC_0008.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 194
  • DSC_0007.jpg
    DSC_0007.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 165
  • DSC_0007_2_2.jpg
    DSC_0007_2_2.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 103
I have a pair of the HD9's and personally like them better than my A100. My A150's are better yet. The cabs on mine are a little beat up but they sound great and they are a lot smaller than either of the other two.

Steve
According to most, the A100's are significantly better speakers than the HD9's. However, there may be something in the tonal quality of the HD9's that you prefer over the A100's. Personal taste is everything.

Boston Acoustic speakers

I have had the exact same experience and review as Abpeep's above. I currently own NLAdvents, Epicure M100s and BA A-150s. The Boston Acoustics are better sounding, except for the Epi's killer tweeter! I have my BA 150s hooked up to a Harman Kardon 330b reciever. The sound is ambosia!! I would love a chance to hear some BA-9 or 10s someday though.

Back
Top Bottom