Under rated speakers

Smaller speakers made by companies with well-known high-end or cult products. I'd put Klipsch KG and KL speakers into this category, as well as most Polk speakers that aren't Monitor or SDA models. Polk RTAs go for peanuts, although buyers seem to be waking up recently.

Small Electrovoices like the Interface:As I used to have.

Non-Walsh Ohm speakers.

Many Boston Acoustics models from the '80s/90s.

Possibly some of the CSW versions of old KLH/Advent designs.

BA's of course the A400 and 200's superb speakers not sure if they fall into the underrated banner though?

Some of the Rogers Sound Labs were highly regarded, but they go for cheap nowadays. They were made and sold here in the Los Angeles area of California.
I have a beautiful pair of RSL 3600 Studio Monitors I use on my work bench, although they deserve much better. The 3600's were said to be as good as or better than the popular JBL L100's. I have to agree.
Jim

had a pair of ESS PS 1220 3 ways in the mids 80's. $399 ea as I recall. Not bad for 3 ways, the Heil tweeter is quite the experience, the highs seem to float a bit around walls, etc. The only draw back was the mylar tweeter diaphrams would have a melt down once in a while, and the foam woofer surround and passive were good for 3-4 years max. ESS used to have decent support/ woofer and passive exchange, and diaphrams were only about $20-25, but now are defunct. I finally sold them since they were a bit high maintenance for speakers, despite their surprising well balanced sound for 3 ways. The heil tweeter can be quite addictive!

Yes, I have a pair or the ESS HEIL AMT 10B's with the HEIL tweeters
The Heil tweeters do sound quite nice. I rotate them in and out of the system in the back room. I have never had a problem with them so far.
I would consider these more rare, than overlooked bargains though.
The larger ESS Heil speakers are excellent and need more respect. The woofer on the larger ones could be better though and I guess that's why they are not as popular. I sure would not turn down a pair (though they are large)
Jim

Aztec Glaughlin III's. Aztec was a little known speaker builder out of colorado. These have two Jensen horns, a 4x10 and a 3x7.
IM001190.JPG

My vintage RTR exp12 are now my primary main system speaker...I replaced my JBL 4312A monitors!

Technics SB-T100

I like these old SB-T100's. For only a 5 1/4 woofer and a soft doom tweet they do a good job. They really have some nice bass and clear highs, a little shy on the mids but not bad enough to through them out. Designed for Front HT use, but do a nice job with music...

Yes, I have a pair or the ESS HEIL AMT 10B's with the HEIL tweeters
The Heil tweeters do sound quite nice. I rotate them in and out of the system in the back room. I have never had a problem with them so far.
I would consider these more rare, than overlooked bargains though.
The larger ESS Heil speakers are excellent and need more respect. The woofer on the larger ones could be better though and I guess that's why they are not as popular. I sure would not turn down a pair (though they are large)
Jim

I agree, it's hard to keep up with the Heils, they seem a bit 'faster than the rest of the speaker. I'm sure tha's why they added the foam passive panel. The PS were their 'Performance Series'. They saved money by using a smalller Heil, but more inportantly using a cheaper, and more fragile diaphram. They sound very clean so it's easy to get carried away with the volume.
I soud them for $400, so I guess you're right, they aren't cheap used, but one listen, and it was a easy sell, for me origianlly, as well as the 2nd owner.

I would like to lend support to the Speakerlab .1 and 11 satellites and the original twin 10 inch passive subwoofer. I have had the .1s since 1978, the PSW since about 1980, and the 11s since about 1982. I recently re-capped the crossovers in the 11s and the PSW (thanks to the help from AK) and damped all of the drivers. I have really enjoyed them.

Last edited:
My first good set of speakers. Technics Sb-a32's grabbed them from the trash when i was 15 (mom was driving) she pulled over, and that was the first time i felt the weight of a good speaker. They dont get too low, but the definition in the bass is wonderful (4- 8")and on up to the highs. not too efficient I'm finding the more power I put to them the better and better they sound. Next on the bench Realistic sta-2080.

My Realistic Optimus T100s continue to please. I bought them for $40 as a temporary solution. They keep sounding better than others I've bought so they remain my main speakers.

I'm sure I'll upgrade at some point, but they are doing a surprisingly good job right now.

Avid speakers.....made in Rhode Island, USA. in the 70's & early 80's.
New England school of sound.
Used CTS & Phillips drivers.
Similar to AR/KLH/EPI
But sold in MUCH smaller quantities.
Often found dirt cheap....even on e-bay!?

Steve

Back
Top Bottom