Most listened to music at the Fest?

jimbofish

for TRULY GREAT MUSIC
Subscriber
Just wondering what kind of music was most popular at the fest, disregarding music brought in by vendors for demonstration. Those who had a listening room where members could bring in music to play will probably know this best.

Only song I heard twice was "Stranglehold" by the Nuge... :lmao:

Sounded great on the Army/Retro joint effort too!! :thmbsp:

I played Diana Krall, Grover Washington, Jr and Steely Dan "Two Against Nature" quite a bit...

Was kind of weird in my case.. While walking around several times I heard the same music coming from different rooms. One time I distinctly heard DSOTM, then I Robot, then later Brothers In Arms.

Didn't hear much Diana Krall or Nora Jones this year.

I heard Pink Floyd at least 5 times twice coming from the Atrium somewhere a long set from Pulse in Retro's room and then I payed some in my room. I heard it once somewhere else but can not remember where.

Dire Straits Brothers At Arms played at least twice in my travels around the listening rooms both times telling me the Speakers or the system in play was not as reviling as mine at home.

I heard Some Christine McVie in Ed room As well as some early Fleetwood Mac

Was kind of weird in my case.. While walking around several times I heard the same music coming from different rooms. One time I distinctly heard DSOTM, then I Robot, then later Brothers In Arms.

Didn't hear much Diana Krall or Nora Jones this year.

Whichever room had that sweet turntable with the odd flat tone-arm was playing Snora when I walked in, so I did an about-face. Went back in an hour later, and it was STILL playing, and I know that rekkid isn't that long. Needless to say, I didn't get to listen to that set-up.

I have to say DSOTM and Animals sounded so good over the Altecs with tubes and vinyl!! :music:

Was in Dgwojo's room when he slipped on a Christmas cd. Yeah, Christmas. Damn, those Altecs make ANYTHING sound terrific. :yes:

Interesting... as a neverbeenthere, I expected that classical and modern jazz would have been more popular. I remember going to the HiFi Show down at Cobo in the mid-'70s. Donna Summers' "Once Upon A Dream" seemed to be playing everywhere. I think that one album established Cerwin-Vega as a name brand.:yuck:

Dire Straits Brothers At Arms played at least twice in my travels around the listening rooms both times telling me the Speakers or the system in play was not as reviling as mine at home.

You should have let them in on your secrets for a more reviling system :D

Was in Dgwojo's room when he slipped on a Christmas cd. Yeah, Christmas. Damn, those Altecs make ANYTHING sound terrific. :yes:

Ed, that did sound damned good with those constant directivity horns with BMS drivers, glad you enjoyed it, Dave.

You should have let them in on your secrets for a more reviling system :D

I don't think the guys selling the VERY expensive speakers in those rooms would have warmed up to my telling them that the way their systems reproduced the second cut on that album was terrible compared to my Project RM-5/Goldring Eroica H, SERIES20 C-21 pre, Pioneer SA-9100 amp, SG-50(M) Spectrum Analyzer, RG-2 Dynamic Enhancer, HPM-100's does.

But I use that song to tell what I'm listening to and as much as I'm not a Sting fan but his intro sends shivers up my back at home and when the down beat comes and the song starts at home I swear my heart almost stalls sometimes. In the one room I sat there waiting for any reaction I got none. In the second room I heard a little more but felt nothing. And I'm not talking volume levels.

Now it could be I tend to listen to that song sourced from a 45rpm Vinyl and they were both playing CD's

But in any case I came home very happy.

The Pulse disc I put on in Retros room of Pioneer Spec power sounded very good I liked it a LOT.

Whichever room had that sweet turntable with the odd flat tone-arm was playing Snora when I walked in, so I did an about-face. Went back in an hour later, and it was STILL playing, and I know that rekkid isn't that long. Needless to say, I didn't get to listen to that set-up.

That may have been the Scheu table and tonearm that you are talking about. It was just a couple doors down from the check-in. I went in there a couple of times trying to hear them play the TT. One guy didn't know much about it at all and really didn't know how to handle a record..the other guy never seemed to be there. At least for 45 (I had a 45 record for listening), the speed was off pretty badly so I never got a fair listen to it which was disappointing. It's too bad they weren't better prepared to show off their table.

A lot of the vendors were playing new age cr@p with synthesizers and a lot of processing, overstated bass, etc. I would have liked to have heard some honest instruments amd vocals.

They always seem to do that, makes sense that they want to wow you with what their equipment can do, but it doesn't always relate to the music we would listen to.

At the Auto Show this year, Scion was giving away free cds, which I think were left over from last year. When I played it at home there were sounds that sounded exactly like a blown speaker or amp. Took me a while to un-panic and realize it was recorded that way. Might be interesting to see the expression of a $10,000 speaker rep when he heard it.

I'd guess Steely Dan and Pink Floyd. Also, Fanfare for the Common Man.

Although I did ask one of the dealers whether he had any thrash. He did have some Clutch. His system did remarkably well. Then he threw me out. :D

We played whatever anyone wanted to hear as soft or as loud as they wanted (within reason) most people wanted to hear rock & roll or blues :thmbsp:

A lot of the vendors were playing new age cr@p with synthesizers and a lot of processing, overstated bass, etc. I would have liked to have heard some honest instruments amd vocals.

Honest instruments and vocals? Then the limitations of their systems would be obvious! Furthermore, these days most new gear is made to sound good with "mainstream" music, which is now mostly digitally created in a synthesizer/sequencer/computer or sourced as an MP3 from an iPod, anyway Can't make it sound good with "real" music. :no:

I wasn't there at the Fest, but am sure you had a better class of vendors at the AK Fest than what I just described. I KNOW that at least some of them (Manley and McIntosh, for example) are definitely not in that category, but I think the above applies to many of the new audio products I see at the industry exhibitions here. Maybe they are just used to using that music to demo their gear, and didn't realize that many AKers would want to hear something else?

I tested the Whiplash and Wadia iPod interfaces with some nice jazz selections from some .wav files of the RVG remastered "Midnight Blue" by Kenny Burrell. But I'd highly recommend dragging some of your faves with you idf you really want to see what the systems will do.

Nothing like checking it out on something you know. I mean, those demo discs rarely sound like the dreaded "ass" now, do they :no:

Back
Top Bottom