Motown's RAT PAK

dogscanskate

Led by the Protector, Motown's "rat pak" came through with flying colours for this fantastic fest.

Where else do you have an opportunity to see tinkerers (deaf ones too like newman) display their prototypes? I was just floored by the arsenal of gear these guys soldered up to make this such an incredible event!

I met the 2 sweetest little girls in squid's/newman's room, they are so pretty! Poor kids don't know yet they have geeks for dads but they are 2 super cool fellows ;)!

Kegger, thanks for letting me insult your Polk 10's, one of my least favorite speakers of all time! You had these things singing at the fest. You had one of the most underrated and most tuneful rooms at the show, it really grooved! I take back my insults and hope they will be justified next year!

Grumpy, since this fest's organization is family based I guess that makes you part of the "rat pak" and you guys have made this one great show! Thanks for a wonderful event.

Tom, get well soon bro, they need your savvy input to lead them into the motown era of funky gear that just happens to sound great. You are their spiritual leader.

NOS valves, your La Scalas were great and so were your amps, another sweet room.

Ed and Dave, what can I say? You guys are one in a million but I dunno which one of you is ;)! You guys rock! Get your ears dewaxed dave!

It was a pleasure meeting you all at the fest and all my other AK buddies and hope to see you next year.

What a great show, there are still so many of you I wish to thank for making the AK Fest the nicest of all shows!

PS. Thanks Ernie, I got through customs easily. You made it happen for me.

hey-Hey!!!,
I can't take all the credit, I had lots of critical help. Rick put up some amazing speakers that did bass waaaay better than 6 1/2"-ers have any right to, and Terry put up one excellent phonograph combo. The step-up TX equipped modified Seduction and the Rek-O-Kut studio TT were sweet.

Next year I will make arrangements to see other stuff, even though playing music for visitors to the room was quite an experience of itself. Missing stuff was easy enough last year even with the smaller older venue.

I hope y'all liked the glowing fire-bottles...:) I was quite inspired after seeing my first amp running similar sorts of output tubes; quite amazing I thought and well worth the effort required to create them.
cheers,
Douglas

I met the 2 sweetest little girls in squid's/newman's room, they are so pretty! Poor kids don't know yet they have geeks for dads but they are 2 super cool fellows ;)!

Photographic proof.

Ray

Attachments

• girls.jpg
    girls.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 54
The "Rat Pack" is a special gang to me.

Pakkie is really an inspiration. Being around someone always pushing the limits of DIY makes you feel like you gotta get in there and follow your muse, too.

Keg is the man for encouragement, a badly needed part, or someone to shoot the shite with. I can't imagine a more helpful and humble fellow.

Grumpy puts his heart and soul in to AK Fest every year, and this site every day. I don't know anyone else that makes more of a commitment to audio, and the art of making a place for friendships to blossom.

Tom speaks his mind, and damn the consequences! In fact, I think he might actually like the consequences! He helped me tune my system for the fest with his blunt criticisms, but we all know him as a guy who'd give you the shirt off his back. A more loyal and steadfast friend you could not find.

NOS is a ton of fun, and I don't think anyone knows vintage restoration as well as he does. Anyone. (Before I get flamed about EchoWars, I'm talkin' tubes here...)

Ernie is the "run for the border" connection indeed! I've had my international audio questions answered more than once by this fine guy. Also, he projects sort of a more Zen-like presence, I think he helps things maintain a more even keel when the boat is rocking in the storm.

Vinyl Rob is the music man, and the man for music! He's forgot more about music than most remember on a good day. Always bringing good tunes, expanding everyone's horizon.

Dave, well, I've become quite fond of that degenerate. Separated at birth, we were!

Terry, mrclassicman, is a true gentleman and craftsman. I'm sure many admired his TT in Pak's room this year. A kinder soul you could not imagine.

There's a whole host of other characters, too! These are just the ones off the top of my head, I'm sure I'm forgetting more than half the crew. Anyone interested in a happy audio retirement might consider Detroit (of all places)!

Back
Top Bottom