What does AK Fest mean to you

I haven't attended a major AK Fest yet, but I'll echo the reasons that Snade and roadie1 have mentioned, as I imagine it would be akin to the local event held locally here a while ago, only on a much grander scale. More faces, more gear, more fun. :thmbsp:

Not to fly in the face of tradition, but it's a shame that it's always held in Detroit. Unlike HoJos, Embassy Suites is a well-established nationwide chain and if they've already seen the value in wooing the repeat business, then be aware that they have folks available that are more than willing to help organize and coordinate the annual AK fest in other major cites, and thus lighten the burden on the AK staff.

In addition to Detroit, perhaps every 2 or 3 years it could be hosted in areas near Boston, Chicago, San Francisco, Dallas, Atlanta, etc. with the gala 10th Annual event centrally located in, say, Kansas City to make it a fairly equal distance/drive for most everyone to get into.

I haven't attended this fest, but I have other types of fests, plus had a small AK get together for local area people here at my place.

For me, it means getting a chance to share some common interests with others.

It means I'll get a chance to hear some new ideas, and new music.

It means I'll get to find out what other systems, amps, speakers, etc sounds like..

It means I'll find out who can hang after a few beers, and I'll have others I can harass that can't, because either way, once I meet them, I'll probably have some new friends...

an AK fest to me, means I can finally put faces to names, and maybe others might figure out I'm not quite as whacked as my writings :D

A fine pizza lunch.

Endless abuse.

Oh yeah, all that stuff about meeting people I knew, but didn't really know; checking out some fine new gear, listening to member systems, etc.

I started out to quote Snade's post here, but the Rabbi got it down to a much more succinct line that encompasses the experience:
Pure and simple: AK in person

Enjoy,
Rich P
This year was my first Fest, and I will make every effort never to miss another one. :music:

Good people and good music.

What elevates AKfest above all the other audio shows I've attended is the presence of so many friends and it's unique 'music' mix of live entertainment, vintage, DIY and new equipment.

It's great to see what people can build themselves or pick from the used market but the presence of vendors demoing the latest offerings from the audio industry is all important to me too - knowing what is possible at the cutting-edge of audio keeps me focused. DIY, vintage and new equipment all play a role in my home and AKfest serves up all approaches nicely.

Good people and good music.

What elevates AKfest above all the other audio shows I've attended is the presence of so many friends and it's unique 'music' mix of live entertainment, vintage, DIY and new equipment.

It's great to see what people can build themselves or pick from the used market but the presence of vendors demoing the latest offerings from the audio industry is all important to me too - knowing what is possible at the cutting-edge of audio keeps me focused. DIY, vintage and new equipment all play a role in my home and AKfest serves up all approaches nicely.

Can't say it any better than that!:thmbsp:

Although I've never attended a fest, I'd like to someday.
Looks like fun being able to sample some sound from all those wonderful systems. Even though I've never went I still like reading the all the fest-threads and looking at the pics!

I've only met in person two AK members, Dr*audio and Dgwojo, both extremely freindly and helpful with knowledge & advice. I'm sure the fest is packed with lots more great folks as these two gentlemen:thmbsp:

Audio gear plus a hotel full of guys sharing the passion! What more could one ask? Hell, it's fun just READING about even if you can't be there!

Thanks guys!
Russ

I've been watch'n the orignal I've Got A Secret and What's My Line...

and feeling pretty sad that I did not live way back then as I miss my relatives and dear friends from the past that seem more like those I see on such incredible TV shows. I know there are outstanding people everywhere but sometimes they are very hard to find. So, I read this gentleman's quote and I agree completely with his sentiments.
I feel very privelaged to be in such company and I will attend the fest sometime.
Sincerely,
John

As a Non-Attendee, I can tell you what I feel it means to me...

First and foremost, I see the fest as an irreplaceable resource for all aficionados of all levels of audio equipment and enjoyment. No where else will you find such an experienced and knowledgeable bunch of guys, who are willing to reach out and share their joy and wisdom of this hobby, with everyone from the total newb, to some one with a world class system like Masterlu.

This spirit of camaraderie and passion for the shared interest in all things audio, is what it means most to me. There are so many members who best demonstrate these qualities, it is impossible to begin to name them all here. To have the opportunity to have all of these folks, as well as the many members of the general public who attend the fest, gathered together in one place, is beyond priceless.

Someday, I hope to be able to attend, and expand not only on my love of the hobby, but to be able to finally shake the hands and thank the numerous members who have made me welcome here on AudioKarma.

This forum transcends just being a place for us to gather and discuss a hobby, it is like a family to many of us, and the fest is like our "Family Reunion", and family reunions are our chance to honor and examine our past, and to strengthen the bonds that have been made, and to nurture the future generation of audio enthusiasts that will take our place when our time has past.

To all involved with running this forum, and organizing the Fest, my heartfelt thanks to every one of you!

:pawprint::pawprint::pawprint::pawprint:

Back
Top Bottom