A View from the Swap Room

Mopic5

First off, this was an absolute blast! My thanks go out to fellow table compatriots Andyman and Piece-of-Pete for helping me and my buddy Stephen (Swap Newbies) with advise on pricing and learning the ropes in general. I think we all meshed extremely well, covering for each other and keeping the two listening stations simpatico. Couldn’t think of two nicer guys to share the weekend with. Now if I had a nickel for every time Pete and Andy cracked me up, I’d have gone home a rich man. But I did go home a richer man for the experience of these two fine gents.
Also a special thanks to ahhhhh Greg (Retro Stereo) for his suggestions about vintage speakers in cabinets – which basically boiled down to: “If you’re not planning on giving them away, don’t bother bringing ‘em”. This advise was given not from on high, but from somebody who readily admitted to having schlepped 8 pairs of speakers to an AK swap room a few years back only to schlep 7 pairs back to Minnesota. Well Jeff, we pretty much kept to the same ratio, with six out of seven sets reloaded in “The Princess” van.

At first we thought that the slow elevators were going to leave us all wishing we had brought rope ladders and block and tackles for a direct load-out to the atrium floor. But that wasn’t the case at all. Exhibitors and member listening room folks, were all so giving that the only bottlenecks we saw were from tipped Molson’s.
What I did hear from the departing exhibitors in the afterglow was they were thrilled with the venue and the attendance.

Suggestions for keeping the Swap Room viable for the future?
- If we want to see vintage gear continue showing up, it seems that we’ll have to attract more of the “starter” crowd to the rooms. The “Old Salts” will have none of it. They’ve been there and done that.
- Maybe some agreed upon operating hours for the Swap Rooms so that table renters won’t be anchored for the entire Fest. I know there was a lot of people and gear that I’d have liked to have seen and heard.

But if I had to do it all over again as it stands, I’d still plop my $40 down for a table next year.

Biggest surprise…
Out of 135 records that I sold for a buck, 60% were classical.

Another special thanks to the ladies who manned the tables and kept the “flow” going. I’m sorry that I don’t remember their names, but I know they were school lunchroom ladies, who had a talent for keeping things moving.

And to young “Jeff” who was so unselfish with his time and energy in helping us load in – thank you. I owe you a few beers.. er Cokes.

Dave & Nancy, what more can be said, but thank you ever so much for the time, effort and energy in putting this all together – once again!

All best,
Mario

Last edited:
Biggest surprise…
Out of 135 records that I sold for a buck, 60% were classical.

That ratio would have been a little different if I hadn't shown up!

It was great buying records from you. They are clean enough to eat off of (but why would I want to do that?) and an incredible bargain. I've already spun a few of yours. You and Piece-It-Pete and Andyman had some terrific vinyls and it's too bad you were pretty well rooted in just one room.

And mucho thanks for taking that ballpoint pen off my hands.

Thanks again for the marble, it was great meeting you and BS'ing with Pete and Andy again. Those rooms cost to obtain and man. My hat's oof to all of you for your generosity. No sense loosing money on these deals, right Pete?
:D

That ratio would have been a little different if I hadn't shown up!

Yeah Paul, goes to show how one man can move a market. Your impact apparently was felt over at the Record swap room as well. We'll all be packing for you next year. This reminds me of my big omission... thank you and all the folks that traipsed on through our haunt.

- Mario

I love classical records. Those suckers can really sail a mile if you get a good spin on them at the park.

Hey thanks for the Marble. Kicking myself I didn't get 3 more pieces..

Hey Mario,
It was nice meeting you and Stephen this year, and no need to thank me for the advice on selling the speakers, I believe Stephen did me a nice favor with that SA-9100/TX-9100 I purchased from him. I'm looking forward to seeing you guys again next year, and hopefully, you will be able to cruise the listening rooms a little more freely. Who knows, maybe I'll join you guys in the swap room and bring a few turntables, working, and not working. With the vinyl making a big comeback these days, they mighty sell fairly well don't you think? As far as the speakers go, just bring yourself a nice sounding pair of smaller ones to keep the tunes flowing in the swap room. :yes:

See you guys next year!

Retro

I got some nice vinyl here too, with the prize being a very clean John Coltrane "A Love Supreme". Thanks for all the hard work you guys put into, I really had fun digging through all the crates.:thmbsp:

Mario, it was great to meet you at the Fest! My wife was very happy with the haul from your table, lots of stuff to her taste. :thmbsp:

Thanks Mario! It was a pleasure working with you and Andy as well.

Suggestions for keeping the Swap Room viable for the future?
- If we want to see vintage gear continue showing up, it seems that we’ll have to attract more of the “starter” crowd to the rooms. The “Old Salts” will have none of it. They’ve been there and done that.
- Maybe some agreed upon operating hours for the Swap Rooms so that table renters won’t be anchored for the entire Fest. I know there was a lot of people and gear that I’d have liked to have seen and heard.

But if I had to do it all over again as it stands, I’d still plop my $40 down for a table next year.

Maybe a 10% off coupon or something with the name badge? I get the feeling most stopped in though - the joint was hoppin particularly Saturday!

I'm OK with Saturday only, but we should work SOMETHING out next year, maybe once it's clear who's in the room we can work it out ourselves, bet it's something like Mopic5, Andyman, and piece-it pete :).

I seem to remember having some 'moving speaker issues' myself in years past...

Another special thanks to the ladies who manned the tables and kept the “flow” going. I’m sorry that I don’t remember their names, but I know they were school lunchroom ladies, who had a talent for keeping things moving.

And to young “Jeff” who was so unselfish with his time and energy in helping us load in – thank you. I owe you a few beers.. er Cokes.

Dave & Nancy, what more can be said, but thank you ever so much for the time, effort and energy in putting this all together – once again!

All best,
Mario

Seconded! The best yet!

No sense loosing money on these deals, right Pete?
:D

:lmao:

Hey thanks for the Marble. Kicking myself I didn't get 3 more pieces..

Hear hear. I bet we can find others feeling the same way!

Once again, it was great - here's to next year! :beerchug:

Pete

Loved meeting you Mario. I only have one complaint - I wanted to see/hear some of your beautiful Lenco and Presto projects.

Hey Retro,
Stephen’s glad you’re happy with Pio Pair. I think your idea about the turntables is on the mark. This time last year I had (8) serviced, non-plastic starter tts on my shelves. Between a half-dozen “audio makeovers” for family & friends (lately friends of friend’s) and the two sold at the Swap Room that number is down to “0”!

Ozmoid, the pleasure was all mine. And tell your wife that I’m already stocking wild genre vinyl with her in mind for next year – she was my favorite customer.

Punker, glad you’re happy with the marble! As soon as I contribute to another diamond blade for my brother-in-law, more will be cut and cleaned.

Paul, I’m extremely happy with the pen. I hope the “Manley Men” T-shirt works for you.

Joyce, it was a pleasure meeting you and your husband. I will plan on correcting your disappointment next year with the probable Presto Mono listening station. (I’m off to pick up a little tube mono-block for it this afternoon.) In turn, I was disappointed that the two of you apparently shoved off early Sunday before I could say goodbye. (GO Navy!)

Pete, thank you for the gifts and the company! This was one of those weekends that will never be forgotten by me. Do we really have to wait a whole year? AK Fest 08.75 in the fall!!!

- Mario

In turn, I was disappointed that the two of you apparently shoved off early Sunday before I could say goodbye. (GO Navy!)

Pete, thank you for the gifts and the company! This was one of those weekends that will never be forgotten by me. Do we really have to wait a whole year? AK Fest 08.75 in the fall!!!

- Mario

We didn't leave early but there sure was a lot going on this year with so many exhibitors, etc and so many good folks to visit with. I don't think I got to spend enough time with anybody. Next year. :)

I don't think I got to spend enough time with anybody. Next year. :)

Same here, Joyce. There were some folks I really wanted to sit with and share a cold one.

Btw, guess what's happening here this weekend? (minor hijack:D)

Hint. It involves the river, pork, and smoke.

Ken

Same here, Joyce. There were some folks I really wanted to sit with and share a cold one.

Btw, guess what's happening here this weekend? (minor hijack:D)

Hint. It involves the river, pork, and smoke.

Ken

D*ng, I just got back from that side of the country! Guess I'll have to put some pork on the Q and turn on the hose. It's a poor sub but it's the best that I can do. :)

Back
Top Bottom