Who's fallen the furthest?

Can't disagree too much, except that some on your list didn't have very far to fall in the first place.

But I will disagree on Joni Mitchell. I'm not a big fan of hers, but her output has remained high quality, and she has matured pretty gracefully.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

I don't seem to enjoy her new stuff that I have heard.....I love the older stuff, though.

I actually saw vinyl copies of the new Eagles album in a record store. They wanted $20 for the album. I had thought they only released the album to Wal-Mart.

Harry

Genesis, Wind and Wuthering was the beginning of the end.

Dylan? The dude's been face-down for YEARS, he CANT fall. :nono:

The worst for me is Van Morrison.

Really? I haven't heard any of his later work, what's wrong with it?

He ran out of ideas and became formulaic. While his early work included music for films that featured the music as an equal partner (Koyannasquatsi), his latter work includes film soundtracks that could easily be mistaken for the musical sound-bites used in commercials (The Illusionist).

While other minimalist/serialist composers like Steve Reich, John Adams, and Terry Riley continue to push the creative envelope, Glass has settled into comfortable regurgitation.

IMHO.

Dylan fallen the farthest???

I have to respectfully disagree with the notion that Bob Dylan has fallen the furthest...
I personally think Dylan is currently in fine form, has been more relevant than he has been since possibly the 70's and his last few albums have been spectacular. Granted, he has certainly slumped for periods in his career-namely most of the 80's-but his new music is exceptional. I saw him in the 80's and I'll admit he was everything that people love to hate about Dylan...mumbling, sloppy, disinterested, etc. I saw him again a couple of years ago and he was amazing. Charming, musical, coherent and articulate. But don't just take my word for it. Check the reviews on Rolling Stone, AMG, etc of his last few records, they're great.
Has he been consistent throughout his entire career? No. I suppose that happens to a lot of people having worked for 50 years.
Hey, I know, each to his own. But to me, sayin he's fallen to new lows, doesn't hold true.
Besides, in my humble opinion, artists like Dylan and Chuck Berry, etc have cart blanche cause they invented the stuff that ALL the bands you do like, constantly beg, borrow and steal from in order to give you what it is that you do like. These days, most "good" bands don't have an original thought to start with and those that do, dry up after a record or two.
I only mention this to those that probably stopped following his career a while back and have not heard anything from him lately. To those, I say check out: "Time out of mind", "Love and theft" or the absolutely georgous "Modern Times" (which is stunning on Vinyl)

I have to respectfully disagree with the notion that Bob Dylan has fallen the furthest...
I personally think Dylan is currently in fine form, has been more relevant than he has been since possibly the 70's and his last few albums have been spectacular. Granted, he has certainly slumped for periods in his career-namely most of the 80's-but his new music is exceptional. I saw him in the 80's and I'll admit he was everything that people love to hate about Dylan...mumbling, sloppy, disinterested, etc. I saw him again a couple of years ago and he was amazing. Charming, musical, coherent and articulate. But don't just take my word for it. Check the reviews on Rolling Stone, AMG, etc of his last few records, they're great.
Has he been consistent throughout his entire career? No. I suppose that happens to a lot of people having worked for 50 years.
Hey, I know, each to his own. But to me, sayin he's fallen to new lows, doesn't hold true.
Besides, in my humble opinion, artists like Dylan and Chuck Berry, etc have cart blanche cause they invented the stuff that ALL the bands you do like, constantly beg, borrow and steal from in order to give you what it is that you do like. These days, most "good" bands don't have an original thought to start with and those that do, dry up after a record or two.
I only mention this to those that probably stopped following his career a while back and have not heard anything from him lately. To those, I say check out: "Time out of mind", "Love and theft" or the absolutely georgous "Modern Times" (which is stunning on Vinyl)

I agree totally with what you said. I actually think that Modern Times is one of the best LP's he's ever done. When it first came out I couldn't stop listening to it and the sound was fantastic and not as loud and compressed as most recent recordings are. It was a real reminder of what a great artist he is.

As much as it pains me to say, since both Keith and John have spun off this mortal coil, I'm beginning to think what's left of The Who is finally getting there.
The only saving grace is that compared to others of that era and in his age bracket (like Robert Plant) Roger Daltry still has the majority of his range and best rock 'n roll voice around. A tribute to the man who was once an Immortal on Highlander... :thmbsp:

It's also regrettable to see the detrimental effect that diabetes (and age) has taken on B.B. King's playing.

It's also regrettable to see the detrimental effect that diabetes (and age) has taken on B.B. King's playing.

Problem with BB is that he just talks too much. Don't get me wrong. He is a very nice man and I do not mind a few stories as they are. But after a while it is kind of like the Disneyland Blues Review. Enjoyable, but I think he could do better.

Still if people have not seen him, now is the time. I saw him with Jeff Beck and when they jammed together, its one of the best things I have ever seen.

My quick list:

Stones
Rush
Sir Elton
Sir Paul
Queen (even before Freddie died)

Then there's a few that all suffered from the same thing, "One Member Becomes Famous And Releases Endless String of Sappy Schmaltzy Crapola and Ruins The Band Syndrome":

Chicago
The Doobie Bros
Journey
Styx
REO Speedwagon (there's a 3 inch fall for ya)
Genesis

Besides, in my humble opinion, artists like Dylan and Chuck Berry, etc have cart blanche cause they invented the stuff that ALL the bands you do like, constantly beg, borrow and steal from in order to give you what it is that you do like.
These days, most "good" bands don't have an original thought to start with and those that do, dry up after a record or two.

Doesn't this some up most music from the last 30 years?
I posted in this thread, and I really think to consider most bands mentioned falling is silly. You can only be so creative so long. And in the corporate world we live in it shouldn't be expected. It's about making money, not making a good product. Keep it simple and the masses will follow.

Where are Ted Nugent and Aerosmith?
Are they still around?

My wife and I saw the Nuge last summer, at a small theatre (800 people maybe). It was great. Guitar, bass, and drum. Two hours of great music, and Ted managed to offend everyone, one way or another. :music:

Last edited:
Problem with BB is that he just talks too much. Don't get me wrong. He is a very nice man and I do not mind a few stories as they are. But after a while it is kind of like the Disneyland Blues Review. Enjoyable, but I think he could do better.

Still if people have not seen him, now is the time. I saw him with Jeff Beck and when they jammed together, its one of the best things I have ever seen.
Agreed and when I saw him his left hand stayed on the same 3 frets most of the night.

Back
Top Bottom