Vintage film cameras

mhardy6647

Lunatic Member
I just saw Murray's "thank you" to the person who provided him with a pair of split-rings (well, they're triangular, in this case) for a strap for his beautiful Canon AE-1. This got me to thinking that it'd be fun to post photos of some vintage 35 mm equipment.

Here's a photo of our Nikkormat FTN taken recently by our son (with his Nikon D40). He's a very good photographer (not that I am biased...) and he's started fiddling with film using the ol' Nikkormat.

nikkormat_by_icouldbeahero.jpg

my son's self portrait...

occupation___camera_holder_by_icoul.jpg

That is a mint FTN, Mark. What I like about those early Nikons is the sort of "tank like" appearance that they have and the well deserved reputation.

Here's my AE-1 with "triangle thingies" supplied by an AK member Ozmoid. :thmbsp:

Murray

Attachments

• ae-1 7-4-08-1.jpg
    ae-1 7-4-08-1.jpg
    100.7 KB · Views: 370
Here's my "new" AE-1 received this week courtesy of member RayW (thanks, Ray!). I haven't had a chance to clean it up yet.

ae1.jpg

Photo taken with a Canon PowerShot A590.

I agree on the OM-1. I still have a problem with non Oympus SLR's because the shutter and aperture are supposed to be on the lense. I found it handy to be able to adjust the focus,aperture and speed with one hand.

Another "vintage" :D Nikon 35mm camera.

Murray

Attachments

• f100 7-03-08.jpg
    f100 7-03-08.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 360
I agree on the OM-1. I still have a problem with non Oympus SLR's because the shutter and aperture are supposed to be on the lense. I found it handy to be able to adjust the focus,aperture and speed with one hand.

The Nikkormat (sold as Nikomat outside the US, as I recall) is configured like that; the shutter speed dial is just behind the lens mount.

Another "vintage" :D Nikon 35mm camera.

Murray
mmm-hmm... Do I espy an LCD screen atop that wee beastie, Murray? :)

The Nikkormat (sold as Nikomat outside the US, as I recall) is configured like that; the shutter speed dial is just behind the lens mount.

I stand corrected. The layout of the controls and size is what I liked about the OM series. It didn't hurt that they had some great glass.

OH gee's now you've gone and done it.

Here's some of my vintage cameras. including in the pile are 11 Canon FD mount bodies from the black FTb with the chrome nose 55mm f1.2 on the corner of the little shelf. A pair of New F-1's with winders on the shelf(one is a US NAVY veteran) and of course the pair of T-90's (the most advanced manual focus 35mm camera ever made) and about 38 lenses from 17mm to 600mm including a 35mm f2.8 tilt and shift and 85mm f2.8 soft focus (only about 2400-2500 made) And a couple apple boxes of flashes macro gear and other accessories for the Canon system.

The longest white lens is a 600mm f4.5 nFD that after I worked for 2 weeks removing the horrid black and green paint some moron put on it and had my repair guy completely tune it up I discovered it wasn't as sharp as my 500mm f4.5L if I blew those prints up farther so off it went to eBay.

Far left on the wood box is a 1957 Canon L-1 Rangefinder with I believe the Leitz Elmar f2.8 I finally sold off a while back to buy my Scott 233 amp. Then on the wall of note is my 1955 Leica Ig RD sporting a Canon black and chrome 35mm f1.8 and my pair of Canonet G-III QL-17's one chrome and one black (very rare) also hangin up there is a 1951 Canon model III with the uber rare rapid winder and my 1956 Rolleiflex 3.5E and Yashica 44 in pearl gray TLR's a pair of Canon Demi's (1/2 frame) There are a couple dozen more hiding in cases and that wine box. Lots of Braun Paxettes. a Retina a real nice Voigtlander Vito II with all the accessories a couple Kodaks and Zeiss folders.

Anyway you made me do this.

Cameracollectioncolor.jpg

Oh did I mention I collected cameras before I got into stereo stuff?

Wow, all impressive camera's everyone!

Mark, that is QUITE the collection you have there...

Wish I could justify using my mom's old SLR (she doesn't use it anymore), but would have to get it fixed first because the shutter hangs sometimes. Used to love to take pics with that camera, but then digital arrived... (shame on me)

Still have a camera from my dad, from the 50's or so, which has the foldout accordeon with the lens. Interesting thing. Will have to make some pics sometime.

Wow, Nice collection MarkW. I have a few, Miranda's, and Yashica's,and of course my Favorite, Black Appollo Nikon FTN.

I still get out sometimes and shoot a roll of Tri-X.

Thanks for sharing.
John.:music:

Hi,

My SLR I use most is a Nikon FG. Excellent, reliable camera which is lighter weight than most Nikons and delivers the goods. I also have and use Nikon F2 and F3 and many lenses. I also use a Kodak Retina 1b and have a Leica M2, M3, and M6 and several Leica lenses. I miss my beloved Voigtlander Vito II with Color-Skopar lens. It made nice Kodachromes. My 4 year old adopted son uses a Nikkormat FTN and has several Nikkors of his own. He takes nice photos.

I have a couple good digital cameras but take as many film shots as digital.

I use a Pentax ME and am more than happy with its performance. When I need a manual camera I will use my Olympus OM-20. It's a good piece but not nearly so quiet as the ME, which is about as quiet as a non-fixed mirror SLR can get.

I loved my old Nikormat but it was a real beast as far as weight and noise.

I have a couple 50's rangefinders but don't use them very often due to their age and wanting to keep them in pristine condition. They get used just enough to keep their leaf shutters exercised. I do use an Olympus XA whenever I need a nearly silent camera.

That BRAUN sure is a beauty!

Braun Super II the camera I used in my first high school photography class. I have 4-5 of them. NEVER attempt to clean the rangefinder mirror a single touch with a Q tip will totally waste it. I have 3 of them that I need to install new beam splitter glass in as well as new first surface mirrors. PIA but yu get a new viewfinder rangefinder when done.

The shutter on these are terrific alkalies heels. Prontor used part time workers int here factories to make these so the quality is terrible.

Ivor Mantell did a great article on the Paxette line (the Super II is part of that line) for Amateur Photographer (UK) a few years back I loaned him all my material on the Paxette for his research I got a nice thank you in the article.

I have most of the lenses avialable for the line from 35-135mm in both rangefinder coupled and non coupled

The one I can't seam to find is the Carl Zeiss Tessar the two times I have seen on on eBay the price was nuts.

the Xenar Wigman has is a very nice lens.

Back
Top Bottom