Infinitesimals....How does one knows which Model it is?

GlobalWarming

Hello....

How can I tell Infinitesimal model .1, .2, and .3 apart?

I have seen some in all black; did the .1 come in all black also?

I have never seen one in person but of all the fotos that I have seen they all look the same.

Thanks!

Nel

I have a pair of 0.1's, one of which is pictured in my avatar, with the 5" Watkins woofer and Emit tweeter, and to my knowledge they were only sold with wood end caps and trim and an optional wall mounting bracket. From the schematics on the Infinity Classics website, it would appear that the only difference between the 0.1 and 0.2 was the crossover but I have no other information to verify that. The 0.3 apparently had a conventional 5" woofer and the Emit and was made in two models, one similar in appearance to the earlier versions except with black plastic end caps and trim, and one for use in cars which also came in some sort of black plastic housing. The crossover was obviously different than the other two since the woofer did not have dual voice coils.

If anyone can provide contradictory or otherwise different information I will stand corrected, but the above is what I've been able to glean from available sources.

Last edited:
- The 0.1 had a Watkins woofer and no "contour" switch
- The 0.2 had a Watkins woofer and a "contour" switch
- The 0.3 did not have a Watkins woofer and had a "contour" switch

The 0.1 and 0.2 had a recessed area where the speaker terminals and the (exposed) fuse was, while the 0.3 had the speaker terminals flush mounted with the back of the cabinet and had a cover over the fuse.

I'll echo Coastsider - "the above is what I've been able to glean from available sources."

David

- The 0.1 had a Watkins woofer and no "contour" switch
- The 0.2 had a Watkins woofer and a "contour" switch
- The 0.3 did not have a Watkins woofer and had a "contour" switch
David

I somehow never noticed that difference before on the xover schematics. I guess my 0.1's are actually 0.2's since they have the contour switch. I stand corrected.

You learn something new every day.

I somehow never noticed that difference before on the xover schematics. I guess my 0.1's are actually 0.2's since they have the contour switch.

Same thing happened to me, I thought I had a pair of 0.1's but they're actually 0.2s. Still looking for a pair of 0.1s.

David

Same thing happened to me, I thought I had a pair of 0.1's but they're actually 0.2s. Still looking for a pair of 0.1s.

David

Since they are "essentially" the same, Watkins woofer and all, why 0.1's as well as your 0.2's, although having perused the Infinity section of your website, I suspect that I am asking a really naive question so never mind. A very impressive collection indeed.

I guess I'll just stick with my 0.2's.

David

are the 0.1s supposed to be better, or is it merely a collector's thing? in either case, feel free to send the 0.2s my way when you find the 0.1s!! :thmbsp:

chris

Thanks a lot!

This is really helpful information.....

I would definitely like to know what I am getting......

I have been looking at them and I would like to get a pair in the near future....

are the 0.1s supposed to be better, or is it merely a collector's thing?

Purely a collector's thing, I have never heard that there is any substantive performance difference between the 0.1 and the 0.2. I really like my 0.2s, doubt the 0.1 would offer me anything sound-wise. I just like to be thorough.

David

Looks like it has a contour switch though.

And why would someone paint it black?

You may be right, I was thinking it was slots for a cover, but it may be a contour switch. In which case, I'm not sure I've seen an 0.1.

I think Vito has some, hopefully he'll pop in and shed some light on this.

David

Hey guys, I'd be interested to know -- how do they sound? I presume they do NOT resemble LS3/5A speakers. To those who may have heard both Watkins and non-Watkins, is there an audible difference?

the rs 0.1 have grey dual coil watkins woofers and contour switch, i have one pair.

rs 0.2 and rs 0.3 both have 2 switches and clear (0.2 dual coil and 0.3 single coil) woofers.

best regards.

Pio

the rs 0.1 have grey dual coil watkins woofers and contour switch, i have one pair.

rs 0.2 and rs 0.3 both have 2 switches and clear (0.2 dual coil and 0.3 single coil) woofers.

Interesting, the schematics on the 0.1s don't show a contour switch. Can you give us a picture? And what are the 2 switches for on the 0.2 and 0.3 - the schematics show only one switch on either of them.

David

best regards.

Pio

Interesting.

Given that info, I don't think I've ever seen any 0.1's for sale as all I've seen had clear poly Watkins woofers. There may be lots of other Infinitesimal owners out there who think they have 0.1's but have 0.2's instead as much of this is new information to me. I'm not mad or even remotely concerned - they still look and sound just as good. It just takes a tiny bit of the edge off of their provenance, as they say on Antiques Roadshow.

Interesting, the schematics on the 0.1s don't show a contour switch. Can you give us a picture? And what are the 2 switches for on the 0.2 and 0.3 - the schematics show only one switch on either of them.

David

I think the contour switch (for the woofer) is shown just below the 1200uF cap on the 0.1 schematic.

It is in the same place on the 0.2 schematic, with the addition of the slide switch for the tweeter.

Yeh, what he said. I can't type any faster.

the countour switch is for the woofer (in rs 0.1 is marked "contour") same function in 0.2 and 0.3. the tweeter switch in 0.2 and 0.3 iirc is marked (labeled) "pressence" i think is for atenuate the hf output.

Pio

Back
Top Bottom