Pioneer HPM-100s - Who has them?

woot I just won a pair on ebay! They are the 200w versions. It is such an unfair advantage with high shipping and they are within driving distance. >)

Here is a pic of the HPM 1500's
hpm-1500.jpg

What a difference. More detailed, less fatiguing, tighter bass, snappier and a sound stage that has opened fifty feet. Best money spent after the power bill.:banana:

A critical distinction

What a difference. More detailed, less fatiguing, tighter bass, snappier and a sound stage that has opened fifty feet. Best money spent after the power bill.:banana:

It might sound like a cop-out, but I firmly believe that anybody who listens to HPM-100's and doesn't like them needs to hear a pair that has been recapped. The difference is not subtle at all. You never hear recapped HPM's described as fatiguing or boomy.

I guess that after twenty-eight years plus, the vast majority of HPM-100 crossovers are cooked. If you've got 100's with original crossovers, get 'em done! You won't believe what you're missing!

It might sound like a cop-out, but I firmly believe that anybody who listens to HPM-100's and doesn't like them needs to hear a pair that has been recapped. The difference is not subtle at all. You never hear recapped HPM's described as fatiguing or boomy.

I guess that after twenty-eight years plus, the vast majority of HPM-100 crossovers are cooked. If you've got 100's with original crossovers, get 'em done! You won't believe what you're missing!
You guys are killing me:D as if I didnt have enough to do now I have to recap my HPM-100s and 2long4u who just scored a pair locally.
I have been happy with the sound other than they lack a little mid,I used to do Car Stereo systems and I built quite a few passive crossover systems so I might get out my old charts and see if there is any room to put a little more to the midrange without crossing over the frequencies and lowering the Impedance.
Has Anyone else tried this?
Steve

Parts List - from Parts Express (for one pair of HPM-100's or two crossovers)

Qty Part Number Product

2 005-10 Mills 10 Ohm 12W Non-Inductive Resistor
2 027-419 Dayton DMPC-4.3 4.3uF 250V Polypr Cap
2 027-220 Dayton PMPC-3.0 3.0uF 250V Precis Cap
2 027-462 Jantzen 0.15uF 1200V Z-Superior Cap

I would imagine that the parts list would change based on whether or not they are the 100w or 200w versions, correct?

According to the schematics that I have, (SWN-158 and SWN-117) they are the same values. However, I would look at the crossover caps/boards and see what is printed on them to be sure (I know the 100/50 crossover boards have the values printed in silk screen).

I have two pairs of the 200w versions and have played with idea of recapping them in addition to my HPM-1100's and HPM-150's. Could take them to San Diego to have them done but the thought of lugging them across the boarder is just too much. Once I get started I know that doing 4 pairs of speakers isn't a lot harder than doing one. Just getting started is the hardest part...

According to the schematics that I have, (SWN-158 and SWN-117) they are the same values. However, I would look at the crossover caps/boards and see what is printed on them to be sure (I know the 100/50 crossover boards have the values printed in silk screen).

I've recapped both. They are the same values for all caps/inductors.

Well, after posting above I dragged them out of the closet and put them up against my Dahlquist DQ-30s. And...the HPMs will be leaving soon. On half of what I tried, they sounded great, with a deep punchy bass (that didn't sound bloated like some state). On the other half, I couldn't stand the high-end, and I did something I haven't had to do in months, which is to take the tone controls on my pre-amp off of 'cancel'. I think the Dahlquists have spoiled me, and I just don't have room for these even though I still think they are fun speakers. Fun, yes, but I've been ruined I tell you...ruined.:tears:

I should clarify......
I've got HPM-100's and HPM-900's. It is the 900's that have impressed me the most. The bass tightens up very substantially from the 100's and the smooth super tweeter highs are more extended.

IMHO opinion these speakers work best on a preamp / amp setup that is extensive in the high end and thin on the low end. The ribbon super tweeters can smooth out all the salty definition you throw at them and a thin low end removes the boominess that they are known for.

If you like the 100's (or even if you don't) you will (or should) love the 900's!

I agree. Recapping the HPM-100's is an amazing improvement

HI,

I want to thank DBFreak and all those who contributed to the info on recapping the "100's " Did mine this past weekend and have lived with them
for a week.

A really noticeable improvement in smoothness in the mid/Treble range, much better tonal quality, and soundstage.It took some time to get the older components off the crossover due to the glue that is used to secure them .

I also resoldered EVERY solder joint on the board ( why not? I'm there anyway)

They are completely different speakers now .., tone wise, and are not at all fatiguing to listen too. What a difference!

If you own a pair , you MUST do this mod.

I have two pairs of HPM-100 and is on the way to recap them just can't decide what cap's to use.

I do love this 30 year old HPM's

Back
Top Bottom