Sony CDP-X55ES Pics

SoCal Sam

Lunatic Member
Check out the build quality of my Sony X55ES.

Attachments

• X55ES 1.JPG
    X55ES 1.JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 449
  • X55ES 2.JPG
    X55ES 2.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 449
I have a Pioneer Elite that has the Copper Chassis. I like my Denon better. If it was cheap good deal. I have bought a couple Sony CDP's lately and they eventually had issues with that high pitch noise emanating from the player. I had a brand new Kenwood that did this. Still trying to find something on the fly to top my keeper Denon. I will eventually I guess.

Thed: Don't know if lasers are still available. This example reads CD-R's so that is indicative of a strong laser.

Arrow: I'm not getting a high pitched whine or any other electro-mechanical noise from this player. I wouldn't mind getting a PD-91. I had a couple of older Denon DCD's and thought the sound a little dark. Don't know about the newer ones...

Thed: Don't know if lasers are still available. This example reads CD-R's so that is indicative of a strong laser.

Arrow: I'm not getting a high pitched whine or any other electro-mechanical noise from this player. I wouldn't mind getting a PD-91. I had a couple of older Denon DCD's and thought the sound a little dark. Don't know about the newer ones...

PD-M95 is the Pioneer I have. I think a lot of people would like the PD-91. If I could find it cheap, otherwise no thanks. The Denon is a DCM 777. Awfully nice cartridge player. I picked it up a year ago for $4 and love it. It's an amazing player, Burr Brown Converters, 20 Bit, 8 Times oversampling. Weighs 15 pounds. I need to find a good cheap DAC. Maybe I will luck out, and find one on the fly.

The top of the line Denon players often used a Sony mechanism, if I remember correctly. Problems with the laser may occur eventually, but the sound is great.

That unit is so nice looking on the inside, i'd build a plexi case for it so i could see in.

really nice!

I was looking over the Sony CD section over in the excellent TVK and noticed the X77ES is nothing like the X55ES. I haven't had a look inside my X33ES but I suspect it is closer to the X55ES.

Interestingly, the tray mechanism in the X77ES looks similar to the lowly 1985-86 CDP-302. The 302 is a great performer and still one of the fastest I've seen for cueing tracks.

Ive had my X55ES for 15 yrs now ,,,play it all the time... I dont know how long the laser will last...But the laser disc sled is built like a tank. Sony built this one to last. I wish i could find another one.

Ive had my X55ES for 15 yrs now ,,,play it all the time... I dont know how long the laser will last...But the laser disc sled is built like a tank. Sony built this one to last. I wish i could find another one.

The X55ES might take honors from my current favorite Luxman D-109.

The excellent laser pickup page over at TVK lists the laser pickup as KSS-271A. The one in my X55ES is the KSS-270A. TVK is a little unclear on what other models take the KSS-270A but it appears the X33ES is the only other. Eventually, I'll open up my X33ES and confirm this.

Yes thats one beefy sled mechinesim... On the Sony parts site for the KSS 270A they do not list it.. It doesnt mean that they do not have it.. it could be in there repair service shelf supply.

The top of the line Denon players often used a Sony mechanism, if I remember correctly. Problems with the laser may occur eventually, but the sound is great.

I don't know how much use the 777 had before I got it. It will be 19 years old in March. Don't know if it has a Sony mechanism. It does have some Toshiba, and Sony chips in it. Not trying to take your thread over SoCal Sam.

I don't know how much use the 777 had before I got it. It will be 19 years old in March. Don't know if it has a Sony mechanism. It does have some Toshiba, and Sony chips in it. Not trying to take your thread over SoCal Sam.

Arrow: Interesting point about other manufacturer's chips inside. The X55ES has Toshiba AND Sanyo chips inside. You would think a manufacturer of Sony's size would be a thoroughbred and make its own chips.

Warren: Here it is...

What do you see inside?

The mechanism uses a linear motor to move the pickup, but it looks different than the one used in the "lowly" CDP-302, which also used a linear motor and is identical to an ES unit of the same vintage.

I know this is an old thread, but, has anyone tried to retrofit an X55ES laser to a X77ES CDP? I know I may be grasping at straws, but there has to be a solution to the NLA laser dilema for Sony's 7 series machines...

BTW I bought a X55ES back in 1990 and loved it! I should have kept it.

Back
Top Bottom