sony ps-lx2

Sultan swing

hi! does anyone know anything about this tt? all i know it's a direct drive and uses a mm cartrige. does anyone have and is willing to share some experience? when was it made, approximately, of course..
how much should i pay for it?
here a photo...

Attachments

• 859e_1.jpg
    859e_1.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 372
I've got one in my main system right now, substituting for my Linn while I've got it out of the system for some tinkering. The Sony is a real nice little manual 'table with an auto-return feature. I've got an old Grado MT+ cartridge mounted in mine and it's providing some pretty nice tunes at the moment.

The 'table was orginally matched up with a Sony TA-F45 integrated amp, ST-J55 tuner, a long-gone tape deck and a pair of non-descript 3-way speakers and sold as a "high-end" Sony rack system by Macys back in the late '80s or early '90s. I got the whole works, less the tape deck which had died, from a friend who bought it new. The amp and tuner are still going strong too and are the core of the shop system I have installed in my garage/shop area.

The 'table is a pretty basic little table that sounds good. Unfortunately, it is a two-wire table with no seperate ground wire and either that or the Grado MT+ is responsible for a very low-level hum in my system. Since this is a temporary setup for me, I haven't devoted the time to troubleshooting it and isolating the hum. What I can say though is that for an inexpensive entry-level component, mounting an older entry-level cartridge, it is pretty musical. If you're on a tight budget, it might be a real good buy. I can't imagine one going for more than $20-$50 used, but I'm not a real good judge because I haven't shopped or bought a turntable for a long, long time. Hope this helps! :D

I would agree with thunderroad's general assessment. This would be probably mid-80s. And I would agree no more than $50, preferably much less if you can. The lack of a ground wire is not an issue--later turntables were just wired this way. His hum problem is the fault of the Grado cartridge which is notorious for causing hum. I'd avoid Grado on this table. Anything else will be fine. If the cart on it is usable that's great, although unless you're sure of its condition, probably better to either replace the stylus or entire cart. Plenty of low-cost, decent carts available that will work with this.

The 'table is a pretty basic little table that sounds good. Unfortunately, it is a two-wire table with no seperate ground wire and either that or the Grado MT+ is responsible for a very low-level hum in my system. Since this is a temporary setup for me, I haven't devoted the time to troubleshooting it and isolating the hum.
Later turntables were grounded differently and didn't need the individual ground wire. It's the Grado causing the hum. They are notorious for this.

I still have one of these...bought it when I moved in 1981 cause my old table fell out of my car (long story). It was Sony's cheapest at the time.....you shouldn't pay any more than $20...there are much better tables than this one to be had.

I still have mine.....use it for the first run of thrift store vinyl before I decide whether to clean or filter from the herd...with a bottom feeder Stanton cartrdge (681 something IIRC).

If you do wind up getting this, I still have the instruction manual for it which shows how to set it up and proper cartridge mounting. Send me an email to my moniker at AOL and I will send you a copy.

I'll have to amend my earlier posting to agree with hakaplan and Dadbar, that the Sony 'table does date to the early to mid '80s. I now remember buying two of the Grado MT+'s back in about '85, the one that is in this table and another one that I have as a spare.

BTW, thanks guys for clearing up my uncertainty about the source of the humming. I have listened to this 'table/cartridge combination on and off for quite a few years and never noticed the hum until I put it into my main system and listened to vinyl at a higher than normal volume level. Even then the humming is very low-level and only noticable between records, but it is there. However, I do have to say that this Grado/Sony combination is sure musical. :music:

thank you all for your answers full of information. i'm a no hurry so i'll keep looking for sth better but if it doesn't come up, maybe i'll buy this one.
@Dadbar: if i buy it,i'll be free to contact you about that manual. thanks for the offer.

today i found a hitachi ht-21. what about this one? i couldn't find a picture to attach it:(

From that era of Japanese tables (low profile, fairly light with straight arm) direct drives were the top models with better specs. The Hitachi HT-21 is from that era, but belt drive. Comparing the two I'd say the Sony would be preferable.

this is the only photo i found...i somewhere read that it's semi-automatic, what does it mean?how much should i pay for this one(really good shape)?

Attachments

• 7478_1.jpg
    7478_1.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 147
this is the only photo i found...i somewhere read that it's semi-automatic, what does it mean?how much should i pay for this one(really good shape)?
Semi-automatic means that it's manual, but after play the tonearm automatically returns to the rest. Read my comment in the previous post (Post #8). This is belt drive. In this design direct drive is preferable. The Sony would be better. So if you're going to pass on the Sony, certainly pass on this. Unless you can get it for like $10 or less.

really,sony? ok,thanks for the tip. sony is direct drive,you think they are from the same time?(on a first glance they could be)

i probably can get sony cheaper than hitachi cause sony is in a slightly worse condition, but ok. no, i cant get it that cheap, so i'll probably pass on it. but i'm begining to see that in my country there are no decent tables for acceptable price.acceptable for me,of course.

I didn't know that you weren't in US or Canada. Put your location in your profile so we know where you are.

i did. what do you think about getting a pro-ject tt?are the new tts any good?i'm just thinking about it,i'd rather buy sth from the 70ies, cause i believe these machines are for eternity.

I didn't realize that you were in Croatia either. Having said that, I'm not sure our pricing information/advice would be valuable because we're not familiar with the secondary audio market in your country. At least I'm not familiar with it! Both of those tables might have a higher price tag in your country depending on their availability. Good luck on your search! :music:

Sony PS-LX2 turntable

:music:I just bought on of these same turntables at a local garage sale last weekend for $3.It actually works pretty good.There selling for around $20-$30 on E-bay.It looks like its from around the early to mid 80s.:banana::yes:

I just picked up one of these for $5 at the local thrift. The arm is cheesy but the speed is dead on.

The cueing is messed up and at the end of the record it drags the arm back across the grooves (not good). It looks like there is a missing screw (a really tiny one) on the lift rail to adjust for proper height.

I can't be bothered to hunt down such a screw for an otherwise functional table that I am giving to a college kid. So I "fixed it" by pulling up the platter and removing the gear that couples the platter to the return mechanism. Voila! Manual turntable!

What do you guys think of this solution?

I just picked up one of these for $5 at the local thrift. The arm is cheesy but the speed is dead on.

The cueing is messed up and at the end of the record it drags the arm back across the grooves (not good). It looks like there is a missing screw (a really tiny one) on the lift rail to adjust for proper height.

I can't be bothered to hunt down such a screw for an otherwise functional table that I am giving to a college kid. So I "fixed it" by pulling up the platter and removing the gear that couples the platter to the return mechanism. Voila! Manual turntable!

What do you guys think of this solution?
Most Ace Hardware stores have screws of every conceivable size, well organized and labeled, and you can look through the drawers on your own and buy a single screw for a few cents. I would have done my best to estimate and buy a variety of sizes for maybe a few dollars. That would have satisfied me more than disabling the auto-return. I have fixed many projects that way.

Ace, huh? I haven't checked there. Home Depot and Lowes don't even have screws small enough to mount a cartridge.

If it helps, I did this in such a way as to make it completely reversible if I should stumble upon the screw. I have the removed parts in a clearly labeled Zip-Lok.

But honestly, have you ever used this table? In my estimation it is only a small step up from a BSR.

Back
Top Bottom