Drummers! Post pics of your kit!

clydeselsor

Lunatic Member
Thought this would be cool. I always like seeing other drummers sets! Here's a pic of me 3 years ago (notice the short hair!) on my DW kit:
22x16 kick, 10x8 tom, 15x13 floor tom, Sabian AA and HH cymbals 20" ride, two 16" crash, 18" crashes, 14 and 18" chinas, 14" hat, 10" Istambul splash. I also have a pair of 13" Fusion hats that I change out once in a while.

PICT1068.jpg

Here is one of my hand drum kit:
LP congas and bongos with Pork-Pie snare
Img_4032-w.jpg

Sorry, you can't see the setup very well but it's the only pic I have!

1965 Ludwig kit with 65' Slingerland snare. Yamaha and DW hardware. A and K
zildjians. 22, 18, 16, 14" HH. Judging from the shot, I need to clean them up a bit!

ludwig.jpg

Reactions: j!m
1965 Ludwig kit with 65' Slingerland snare. Yamaha and DW hardware. A and K
zildjians. 22, 18, 16, 14" HH. Judging from the shot, I need to clean them up a bit!

View attachment 112630

Sweet! I love vintage kits! I have a '70 Slingerland kit that I need to restore. It has a 24x14 kick, 12x8 tom, 16x16 floor tom. I am looking for a Radio King 14x6.5 chrome snare for it.

24x14!!! Nice kick! My first kit was a Slingerland pink sparkle. I hated it at the time (early 70's). Now, I wish I still had it. I've been looking for an old Slingerland or Gretsch to restore. My wife will kill me, but I feel the same way about vintage drums as I do about vintage audio. Be sure to show us the Slingerland when you have it ready... You going to re-wrap it?

24x14!!! Nice kick! My first kit was a Slingerland pink sparkle. I hated it at the time (early 70's). Now, I wish I still had it. I've been looking for an old Slingerland or Gretsch to restore. My wife will kill me, but I feel the same way about vintage drums as I do about vintage audio. Be sure to show us the Slingerland when you have it ready... You going to re-wrap it?

Yeah, I'm going to definitely have to re-wrap it. The previous owner thought it would be cool to paint it in a camouflage motif, lug castings, rims and all!! I got the paint off of the chrome pieces and stripped the old wrap off. I am trying to decide if I want to go with Red, Gold or Silver Sparkle wrap. This site has loads of options:
Jammin Sam

Sorry, I was out at a local festival, watching other drummers play!

Here's a couple from earlier this year- things have been cleaned up & mic'd up, but this is the typical setup. Vintage kits (Ludwig, Slingerland, Pearl, Premier, Sonor, Gretsch) were sold long ago, when I got out of playing musical theater shows & being in multiple bands at a time.

Tama drums, ~1970 Ludwig snare, Zildjian/Paiste/Meinl/Sabian/Vibra/UFIP cymbals (...um, I really like cymbals...). Not shown are another Ludwig snare, more Zildjians (22", 16", 14"), more Paistes (hi-hats), and various percussion.

je

Attachments

• IMG_9302 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9302 (Large).jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 547
  • IMG_9306 (Large).jpg
    IMG_9306 (Large).jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 492
Sorry, I was out at a local festival, watching other drummers play!

Here's a couple from earlier this year- things have been cleaned up & mic'd up, but this is the typical setup. Vintage kits (Ludwig, Slingerland, Pearl, Premier, Sonor, Gretsch) were sold long ago, when I got out of playing musical theater shows & being in multiple bands at a time.

Tama drums, ~1970 Ludwig snare, Zildjian/Paiste/Meinl/Sabian/Vibra/UFIP cymbals (...um, I really like cymbals...). Not shown are another Ludwig snare, more Zildjians (22", 16", 14"), more Paistes (hi-hats), and various percussion.

je

Nice! Lots of brass in there! How do you like that Gibralter pedal? I have one around here in my stash!

nothing fancy. just some drums. Mapex Mars Pro's from......1998 or so..........

I've watched a few drummers lately that have the smaller tom ahead of the snare, then a lower-pitched rack to the hi-hat side. Interesting. Pretty sure Bernard Purdie always did that, too.

je

Nice! Lots of brass in there! How do you like that Gibralter pedal? I have one around here in my stash!

I'm pretty happy with the Gibralter pedal, and I couldn't tell you why- if you asked me for what I'd want in a pedal, this one probably wouldn't fit my "requirements". But it's worked, and stayed for a while now. I had injured my right ankle badly in '91 or so (OK, *I* didn't injure it, a drunken bass player injured it!), then injured it three more times before it had a chance to heal properly. This one seems to work with me to keep my stamina through a long show or session or jam, and on other pedals I end up losing accuracy or power or both. When I curl the toes on my right foot, you can hear an audible crunching sound at my ankle...it's a mess.

The pedal is pretty flexible/adjustable, smooth, and stable. I have trouble being subtle with it, but that's likely to be old batter head and rusty skills. I doubt it would be the go-to pedal for stuff that was more...um, what's a synonym for subtle? OK, I'll just use 'subtle' again. I think I have the cam set to really maximize my energy, and I'd have to either muck with the setting I like or sub a different pedal to play more expressive/dynamic quiet stuff.

Now you've made me go and think about it...grumble mumble fumble...:scratch2:

je

Nice! Lots of brass in there!

Actually, aside from really liking cymbals, the quantity and placement is part of a conscious life-long desire to force myself into being more ambidextrous. Look at the bird's-eye view of the kit- it's roughly symmetrical if you use the snare/center rack tom/bell as the center line. Equal # of things to hit on left as right (there's usually a second snare/timbale off to the left). I was VERY right-hand heavy when I started playing, and it irritated me 'cause I thought it limited me. Since the mid-80s or so, I've been purposely forcing myself to improve hand-eye coordination of my left hand in all aspects of my life. Eating, working, playing guitar, whatever. I try to make it just as natural to use the left hand as it is to use the right. I'm still not there, after 20+ years, but I've come a long way.

je (freak) :guitar:

I'm pretty happy with the Gibralter pedal, and I couldn't tell you why- if you asked me for what I'd want in a pedal, this one probably wouldn't fit my "requirements". But it's worked, and stayed for a while now. I had injured my right ankle badly in '91 or so (OK, *I* didn't injure it, a drunken bass player injured it!), then injured it three more times before it had a chance to heal properly. This one seems to work with me to keep my stamina through a long show or session or jam, and on other pedals I end up losing accuracy or power or both. When I curl the toes on my right foot, you can hear an audible crunching sound at my ankle...it's a mess.

The pedal is pretty flexible/adjustable, smooth, and stable. I have trouble being subtle with it, but that's likely to be old batter head and rusty skills. I doubt it would be the go-to pedal for stuff that was more...um, what's a synonym for subtle? OK, I'll just use 'subtle' again. I think I have the cam set to really maximize my energy, and I'd have to either muck with the setting I like or sub a different pedal to play more expressive/dynamic quiet stuff.

Now you've made me go and think about it...grumble mumble fumble...:scratch2:

je

Damn bass players! Can't trust any of them! :D

Actually, aside from really liking cymbals, the quantity and placement is part of a conscious life-long desire to force myself into being more ambidextrous. Look at the bird's-eye view of the kit- it's roughly symmetrical if you use the snare/center rack tom/bell as the center line. Equal # of things to hit on left as right (there's usually a second snare/timbale off to the left). I was VERY right-hand heavy when I started playing, and it irritated me 'cause I thought it limited me. Since the mid-80s or so, I've been purposely forcing myself to improve hand-eye coordination of my left hand in all aspects of my life. Eating, working, playing guitar, whatever. I try to make it just as natural to use the left hand as it is to use the right. I'm still not there, after 20+ years, but I've come a long way.

je (freak) :guitar:

It has been said that Gene Krupa used to shake hands with people using his left hand, and then asking them to excuse him for it because he felt that his left hand was under-developed!
Sometimes I will set my kit up left handed to help develop my left side. this of course is done in the privacy of my own home!

Yeah, pretty cool. Bill Bruford is doing something similar with his ambidextrous kit.

HA! You said "ambidextrous".

My old friend Mark Ambrosino was a lefty player I've known since he was a kid, but he developed into an absolute monster of a player and his ambidextrous-ness amazes me (played with Michael McDonald, Patti LaBelle, Ray Charles, Whitney Houston, others). Simon Phillips and Mike Mangini are two others that come to mind-different approaches, but a blast to watch.

je

Back
Top Bottom