Is there a way to adjust the azimuth on a techincs?

synclavier82

Without having to rely on shims between the cart screws, is there any other way to adjust the azimuth on a technics?

I've been having a slight channel imbalance issue and one of the only things I can think of is that the azimuth is off. When I look at the cartridge body head on while playing a record, the left side seems to be tilted slightly down.

I'm not sure, but I think this might be one possible explanation for the right channel bias i am experiencing.

Try moving the headshell as there should be a tiny bit of play in it. Also those two tiny screws under the tone arm can be loosened to adjust the locking ring at the end of the arm where the headshell connects. And yes you probably will have to take off the plinth to have enough room to get to those tiny screws.

One option would be to get a headshell that allows for adjusting the azimuth. The stock Technics headshell doesn't allow for that adjustment, but some headshells do.

One option would be to get a headshell that allows for adjusting the azimuth. The stock Technics headshell doesn't allow for that adjustment, but some headshells do.
Yeah, that might be a good idea... I'll look around and see what I can find.

Try moving the headshell as there should be a tiny bit of play in it. Also those two tiny screws under the tone arm can be loosened to adjust the locking ring at the end of the arm where the headshell connects. And yes you probably will have to take off the plinth to have enough room to get to those tiny screws.
I have another idea for that... What if I simply removed the platter, unscrewed the plastic thing underneath that and THEN used a small jeweler's screwdriver to get under the arm? That might suffice...

there is enough headshell play with my technics SL-1700 with generic technics headshell to substantially adjust azimuth.

And yes, it will probably fix your channel balance problem. It fixed mine. But not all records are the same so a little variation is probably OK.

there is enough headshell play with my technics SL-1700 with generic technics headshell to substantially adjust azimuth.

And yes, it will probably fix your channel balance problem. It fixed mine. But not all records are the same so a little variation is probably OK.

Hmm, well, that could be. Lol. I have noticed that certain records are more or less balanced than others.

I know about the play room you guys are talking about though... I already have mine tilted as far to the right as it will go. Seems like it could use just a hair more. Might not even be worth it.

Does your head shell body look like it's pretty much level with the surface of a record?

I'd say so. I also needed to force mine to the right a bit.

At some point you do need to leave well enough alone and listen to the music. I understand where you are coming from, as I have obsessed about the same thing.

I'd say so. I also needed to force mine to the right a bit.

At some point you do need to leave well enough alone and listen to the music. I understand where you are coming from, as I have obsessed about the same thing.
Yeah, you're right. I just want to make sure I'm wrecking my vinyl or stylus. I'm getting there though.

Would you mind telling me what anti-skate setting you run yours at? Part of my problem is that I don't know what is normal... If I run my anti-skate extremely low, say .5 for 1.4 VTF, I can balance out the issue somewhat. But, if a little bit of imbalance is normal or unavoidable, I don't want to overcompensate because that's only going to wear my stuff out faster.

The stock headshell has enough play to adjust this. If you have to tilt the headshell more than that I would say you need a new cartridge.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Yeah, you're right. I just want to make sure I'm wrecking my vinyl or stylus. I'm getting there though.

Would you mind telling me what anti-skate setting you run yours at? Part of my problem is that I don't know what is normal... If I run my anti-skate extremely low, say .5 for 1.4 VTF, I can balance out the issue somewhat. But, if a little bit of imbalance is normal or unavoidable, I don't want to overcompensate because that's only going to wear my stuff out faster.

I run mine low too, at .5, maybe a little higher. For 3 reasons:
1) because i noticed that my arm tends to "antiskate" a little on its own, as we have discussed and i try to compensate a little for this.
2)I've read on these boards that microline styli should have less antiskate than tracking force applied.
3)I honestly don't hear a bit of difference of any type regardless of my antiskate setting.

Antiskate seems like such an inexact science that I feel like less adjustment is better than too much. After all, some turntables don't have any antiskate (the original AR, for example.)

I run mine low too, at .5, maybe a little higher. For 3 reasons:
1) because i noticed that my arm tends to "antiskate" a little on its own, as we have discussed and i try to compensate a little for this.
2)I've read on these boards that microline styli should have less antiskate than tracking force applied.
3)I honestly don't hear a bit of difference of any type regardless of my antiskate setting.

Antiskate seems like such an inexact science that I feel like less adjustment is better than too much. After all, some turntables don't have any antiskate (the original AR, for example.)
Well put. I'm going to set it and forget it. Thanks for your replies. You have been very helpful... as has everyone else here. I appreciate all the advice you all have given me.

There is a good solution, without possibly over-twisting your Arm, etc, and possibly causing damage, and it will cost you about $40, the Sumiko HS-12 Headshell. Azimuth is adjustable via a small Allen Wrench at the rear of Headshell.

Many claim it to be a good upgrade for the Technics Table, comes with very good quality headshell leads.
You might more than likely need the additional little screw-in counterweight on the Arm Stub, and the other downside, is this thickish, solid billet alu headshell might/will require longer Cartridge screws.

One slightly better way to check azimuth, (besides multimeter) is to set the Stylus upon a small flat mirror resting upon the Platter (The Turntable Basics Protractor works good for this) and sight the front of Stylus itself with a 10X Jeweler's Loupe, then adjust. Mark

There is a good solution, without possibly over-twisting your Arm, etc, and possibly causing damage, and it will cost you about $40, the Sumiko HS-12 Headshell. Azimuth is adjustable via a small Allen Wrench at the rear of Headshell.

Many claim it to be a good upgrade for the Technics Table, comes with very good quality headshell leads.
You might more than likely need the additional little screw-in counterweight on the Arm Stub, and the other downside, is this thickish, solid billet alu headshell might/will require longer Cartridge screws.

One slightly better way to check azimuth, (besides multimeter) is to set the Stylus upon a small flat mirror resting upon the Platter (The Turntable Basics Protractor works good for this) and sight the front of Stylus itself with a 10X Jeweler's Loupe, then adjust. Mark
Thanks for the head shell suggestion. I do have that little weight, so the only thing stopping me would be the longer head shell screws. That doesn't seem like it would be too much of an obstacle though.

One question though, is it ok to set the stylus on a mirror? And what exactly am I looking for?

Thanks again.

Thanks for the head shell suggestion. I do have that little weight, so the only thing stopping me would be the longer head shell screws. That doesn't seem like it would be too much of an obstacle though.

One question though, is it ok to set the stylus on a mirror? And what exactly am I looking for?

Thanks again.

Although I have a Sumiko HS-12 Headshell lying around here, it's been probably 6-7 years ago that I bought it, basically never used it, and honestly cannot recall if it came with any Screws? I'm believing that it did though come with a couple of pair, and the Nuts-Washers as well. It is supplied with a seperate Finger-Lift, and one has the option of using-mounting the Finger-Lift, or not.

No, you won't never have to worry about gently resting a Diamond Stylus on either a Plastic, or Glass Mirror, you will not damage it. A Shirt Sleeve, or Towel carries much greater potential to damage a Stylus, by snagging it.

What you will look for, is seeing-confirming that the Stylus is positioned exactly straight up, and down, and the reflection of the Stylus in the mirror will enhance the accuracy of the Stylus being precise in this respect. As I previously mentioned, a Jeweler's Loupe will be a must to aid you accomplish this task.

If you don't have a good Protractor, might be a good time to purchase the Turntable Basics Arc Protractor from them, for about $20, plus shipping.

This Sight Line Plastic Mirror Arc Protractor uses Baerwald Null Geometry, and is a very good bang for the buck Protractor. Hope this helps. Mark

The stock headshell has enough play to adjust this. If you have to tilt the headshell more than that I would say you need a new cartridge.

Thanks,
Ron-C

Ron, you are most likely correct, that there may be some slight play that can be found either at the Headshell itself, or the Locking Collar on the Arm Wand? Might be just a slight tweak that the end user can do, with just a bit of time, and can then bypass the spending of $$$ for Headshell options? Mark

My suggestion is to download a software called RightMark Audio Analyzer, then record some lps and look at the difference between left and right channel. You can also look at the resonance frequency between arm/cart and stylus resonance. Very useful software.
/gusten

You don't need a new headshell just loosen those two tiny screws and adjust the shell till it's level. Just get a small bubble level Homedopt sells one I used for my 1800MKII. The Technics tabels, well the used ones are known for that azimuth adjustment.
And be done with it and enjoy the music.

I don't recommend the Sumiko headshell for use with the AT440MLa. It adds several grams to the mass of the arm making it a less ideal match with the cartridge. It's better for use with low compliance MC cartridges.

I don't recommend the Sumiko headshell for use with the AT440MLa. It adds several grams to the mass of the arm making it a less ideal match with the cartridge. It's better for use with low compliance MC cartridges.
Duly noted.

I think the thing to try first is messing with those screws. I might know of a way to loosen them without taking the whole thing apart.

Right on. And with a heavier cartridge, its almost impossible to balance the arm on the 1200 without adding additional mass to the rear of the tonearm.

I'd think you'd have the have the azimuth pretty far askew for the balance to be impacted as you've described. I'm wondering if the issue is elsewhere??

Back
Top Bottom