Is there a way to connect a powered subwoofer to my SX-1250?

Pioneer100

I have an SX-1250 powering two HPM-100's. I was wondering how or if I would be able to connect a Sony powered subwoofer that I currently use with my surround sound system. The HPM's give plenty of low end but curiosity is getting the best of me; however, without knowing the if or how it could be done I'm smart enough not to attempt to do it without some advise from all you experts out there.

Pre-Out, main in jacks. You just need three y adapters. Two going from the preamp in to the main out (one for left, one for right). Then use the third one to join the two channels (if needed) for a subwoofer cable to go out to your sub. :thmbsp:

Pre-Out, main in jacks. You just need three y adapters. Two going from the preamp in to the main out (one for left, one for right). Then use the third one to join the two channels (if needed) for a subwoofer cable to go out to your sub. :thmbsp:

UHOH That'll turn EVERYTHING into mono (speakers too), and possibly damage the preamp transistors.

What to do depends more on the sub woofer's back panel - post a picture of it or tell us the model number and we'll figure out the best way.....

If there are two rca jacks that are red and white or labeled left and right, they will do the signal combining safely, like the mono switch on the receiver, but without backwards affecting the input signals (they STAY stereo in the receiver).

That'll turn it into mono, and possibly damage the preamp transistors.

What to do depends more on the sub woofer's back panel - or tell us the model number and we'll figure out the best way.....

It will damage the preamp? Thats the way I was always told to do it. BTW, that is only if his sub only has one RCA input.

It will damage the preamp? Thats the way I was always told to do it. BTW, that is only if his sub only has one RCA input.

Wyeing left and right together directly without isolating/summing resistors (which is what I interpreted the third wye connector was doing, "join the two channels) causes the two driving transistors to fight each other with a stereo signal, each causes imbalances to the other and from then on until one transistor dies. From that stage onwards, the signal is mono, even going back into the receiver.

Wyeing left and right together directly without isolating/summing resistors (which is what I interpreted the third wye connector was doing, "join the two channels) causes the two driving transistors to fight each other with a stereo signal, each causes imbalances to the other and from then on until one transistor dies. From that stage onwards, the signal is mono, even going back into the receiver.

Oops...

Don't listen to me, listen to Mark. :yes:

My Sub has Speaker terminals on the back, one set for input and the other set for output. I just connect my speaker A terminals from my 1250 to the terminal inputs then from the terminal outputs directly to the speakers. Works like a charm :D

I know, sorry. Didn't mean to bring an old thread back to life :D

Since the old thread is re-awakened... Assuming you don't have tape decks hooked up, can't you just use the Tape Out jack as if you were monitoring/taping the thing, and feed that output into the subwoofer's input? That way, you should be able to switch the SW in and out from the front panel, too, whenever you wish to.

You can do what Big Tuna suggests with SOME subwoofers. Not all of them are designed to pass-through speaker outputs like that, but for the ones that are, it will work fine, too. Most of the earlier subwoofers from HT surround systems that included subwoofers did that, but most of the really higher-end audiophile-type ones don't.

Since the old thread is re-awakened... Assuming you don't have tape decks hooked up, can't you just use the Tape Out jack as if you were monitoring/taping the thing, and feed that output into the subwoofer's input? That way, you should be able to switch the SW in and out from the front panel, too, whenever you wish to.

The problem with using the tape outs is that they aren't affected by the volume control. That's what you want for recording, but for a sub you want the volume to change along with the main speakers. The pre out jacks are after the volume control.

Can't He Just

Run speaker wires from the B channel to the high level inputs of the sub as if it were a second set of speakers? I've never had to do it but seems like it should work:scratch2:.If I am wrong someone speak up please ,I wouldn't want to help cause problems with his gear.

Wow, 10 years later but someone want to know because we are reading.
Channel B is a fine solution, run left and right speakers to speaker inputs on sub. Works like a charm.

There is another choice if the subwoofer has line level inputs. Get an active crossover device: Some subwoofers have this built in. Pre-outs go to the crossover, crossover line outs go to power-in after it separates the low freq signal. Crossover sub-woofer outs go to subwoofer line inputs, this may be a stereo signal to be combined in the subwoofer, or a 'mono' low freq feed to a single channel subwoofer input. This option removes the low freq load from the primary amp, as it never sees the subwoofer frequencies.

That seems like a lot to do.
My klipsch Heresy woofer drops off around 50hz.
I set my xo on sub at 60hz on channel or Speaker B and the blend of frequency is right about on.
If for some reason I don't want sub bass, just pop the B channel off and I'm back to the original sound of the Heresy 1

Back
Top Bottom